Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

Frog: good guy or bad guy?

laura1
15 years ago

This guy is about 1". I tried to get some toe action in there. Help! (i think he's way too cute to be a CTF)

Comments (14)

• lellie
    15 years ago

Kind of looks like a Florida Bog Frog (Rana okaloosae) or a Squirrel Treefrog (Hyla squirella).

How big is it?

Check out this site to see if you can ID it.

Here is a link that might be useful: frog/toad ID

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Thanks for the wonderful site. From the best that I can tell I have about 3-4 different frogs here in Jupiter farms.

I love the fact that you call listen to their calls. I just spent the last 15 minuets doing just that.

I guess I better go back to work. :)

• laura1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lillie thanks for the link but I'm not able to tell from the pictures. It isn't clear in my first post but the frog is about one inch.

• lellie
    15 years ago

Well...the Florida Bog Frog is less than 2" in length.

And...Jupiter...You're welcome. :)

• laura1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lellie-it most likely isn't a bog frog since they live in north Florida and I'm in Tampa. None of the pictures look like this one but I'm not used to looking at and IDing frogs!!

• manature
    15 years ago

It is definitely a NATIVE, so a good guy. My guess is squirrel frog. Going to go see if I can get a good picture for ya.

Marcia

• manature
    15 years ago

Laura, after doing a bit of research, I'm not able to tell, myself, if it is the GREEN treefrog or the squirrel treefrog. Both can be variable in color, but the squirrel treefrog seems to be more so. Something about this guy looks slightly different than most of the greens I've seen, so I'm still going to guess squirrel treefrog. Hopefully we'll have someone who can tell us for sure. Either way, it is a GOOOOOOOD guy, so treasure it and enjoy it, and congratulations on having it!

Marcia

• laura1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Marica! It is so cool to find more wildlife in my little sanctuary(my garden).
    I was looking for green anoles on this cassia when I saw the frog. This spot used to be hot and dry. But the cassia (along with mulch) hold the moisture in...great for frogs and lizards!

• yacheryl
    15 years ago

So what do I have here?
    The hole in the birdhouseis only 1' across.
    He's lived on the back porch for apx 4 years.
    Hangs out there all day long
    waiting for food to pass by......cheryl

{{gwi:901353}}

Here is a link that might be useful: What's my name ????

• Gail Dalmat
    15 years ago

Hi, laurelL's froggie is a good guy, but yacheryl, I'm sorry to say yours looks like a Cuban Tree Frog--he's got really big toe pad/suction cup thingies, and CTF's are kind of a ghostly grey. We've got one in our screen room that has grown to over 2" across, not counting legs. It rests on our ladder (I don't know why the ladder is in the screen room) during the day. The frog almost looks like a big lump of shiny silly putty on the side of the ladder, only not quite as pink as silly putty. I haven't seen any other kinds of frogs inside the screen room this year (we've had the little green ones, and a bigger barking tree frog before)and even the brown anole population seems down inside the screen room. I have trouble killing vertebrates but you're really supposed to catch and euthanize Cuban Tree Frogs (as well as brown anoles, I think). You can find directions on-line, I think IFAS (Florida extension?) tells you how.

• yacheryl
    15 years ago

I was hoping not, but I figured he probably was.
    I did't know they came that brown or small.

Several years ago I was inendated a with CTF's.
    I think they're all gone now except for this guy.
    Now it's the green tree frogs that's keeping me awake
    ..........cheryl

Here's a picture taken 5 - 6 years ago of my CTF condo (aka: plastic tool holder).
    They're all in a better place now...........cheryl

{{gwi:901355}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bunch of bad guys

• michi81
    15 years ago

Too funny the same type of frog that is in the picture above this post was in the venting around the fascia to my great grandmas house. I always wondered why they were up there. It made me uncomfortable walking down the pathway knowing they were a couple feet from the top of my head.

• manature
    15 years ago

I agree, Cheryl, that your birdhouse froggie is a CTF! Those oversized toepads are a dead giveaway. And while I mostly see them in that deadly looking corpse-colored skin, they are variable in coloration. They can be heavily mottled and brownish looking, too, so the toepads work better for me as an ID. Also, if you plan to catch one (to do the more humane way of dispatching them, for instance) you can double check the identity by seeing if the skin on the head is fused to the skull. On our native frogs it is NOT and will slip around as you touch it, more like the loose skin on their bodies. On the CTF's, it is fused tight.

I have had CTF's in my birdhoues, too. They think they are frog houses, obviously. Ugh.

Marcia

• lellie
    15 years ago

I found my elusive CTF finally...ack!
    Check out its coloring...wierd...
    He/she's BIG, too!...about 4" in length.

I must be getting soft, cause as I took this shot, I felt like just maybe this one could stay around a while.

Oh well...tomorrow's another day....

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022