Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gloriosa lilies

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 13:04

I thought I'd pass along a word of advise for anyone who is just starting to grow gloriosa lilies. This is a beautiful plant that is so very easy to grow but it does have a down side. It is a prolific seeder and those seeds seem to grow very easily! If you don't want dozens if not hundreds of lilies then it's a good idea to dead head the vines after they bloom. I didn't and now I have far too many tubers in the front flowerbed. And since this is the same bed that the sunshine mimosa is growing in it's hard to dig up the extra tubers.

Anyone want some gloriosa lilies? The lilies are the orange/red flowers in the picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gloriosa lilies

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 13:16

Here's some more information on gloriosa lilies if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://okeechobee.ifas.ufl.edu/News columns/Gloriosa Lily.htm

o

Once you have those tubers you will ALWAYS have 'em! That is why I have stayed away from them. I do have a friend growing one in a pot and that has contained it.

o

Oh boy! I got one (from you, I think?) at Sylvia's party. It's already 5' tall and hasn't bloomed yet. (It's not getting enough sun) I'm thinking I need to re-think and move it to a pot on a patio.

:)

What a pretty problem to have, though!

o

I can never have too many plants of this - they are simply the most unique and colorful bloom there is!

If you have extras to get rid of, I'll take them for postage - just email me. Thanks!

o

Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 8:17

I've got plenty of extra gloriosa lilies! Not only are the growing in the front flower bed they are also in the side bed, growing in the pyrocantha bush, and a few out back under the oak tree. I just dug up a bunch of tiny tubers from the side bed which is what prompted me to start this post! For all that they multiply I still wouldn't want to get rid of them, they really are a beautiful flower.

Kayjones, I'll send you an e-mail.

o

Gorgeous! I also really love the look of the antique metal bed headboard.
I had some gloriosa lilies in pots for several years but last year they were totally eaten up by fire ants along with my vigna caracalla tubers grrrr.
I never even knew the ants would eat either one of those but when they started declining, I dug them up I found the biggest ant nests in those pots.
~Lyn

o

Thanks, Karalynn - I'll respond via email.

o

Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 11:35

Lyn, if you'd like to have some more tubers just let me know. I'd be happy to send you a few.

o

Thanks! I sent you an email. I have lots to trade if you want :) I put more details in the email lol.

o

Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 8:39

Lyn, I couldn't reply to your e-mail due to your garden web settings. You need to reveal your e-mail address and send me a new message in order for me to reply. To change your settings go to your profile page and at the bottom check the box to allow other users to send you e-mails.

Kara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here