Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

A few newer Globba Gingers

I got a few new colors of globba gingers (dancing ladies type) a few years ago when zone9tropicals were offering on their facebook page. Neither of these two seem to make a lot of bubils like the yellow do.

Blue Hawaii globba. This is a blue/lavender color. It seems more blue this year than last year. It is blooming more and is a little larger of a plant.
Not as dark blue as the other 'blue ginger' plant known as DichorisandraThrysiflora (not a true ginger but related)

{{gwi:570373}}

This one is named 'Sangria'. The foliage has red streaked under the leaves and reddish stems. The new leaves sometimes emerge all red. The flower bracts are darker fuschia than my other dark pink dancing ladies ginger. Seems to get taller than the other globbas that I have as well. It is still in a small pot, I bet it would get even bigger if I potted up like I should lol.

{{gwi:570371}}

Comments (16)

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

WOWSA! That fushia is stunning. Beautiful plants.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked ibarbidahl
  • SusieQsie_Fla
    10 years ago

Hi Lenette
    Thanks for those gorgeous pictures.
    Do you keep these gingers in their pots so you can move them during the cold snaps?

Susie

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked SusieQsie_Fla
  • whgille
    10 years ago

Those globba gingers have beautiful colors! I like the idea of the pot.

Silvia

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked whgille
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. I have them in pots because I'm a bad plant momma lol. We moved to this property of about 4 acres a few years ago. There was woods and lawn and no flower beds. I have slowly been amending the soil (thanks to the rabbits and poultry) and put in a garden the first year and then flowerbeds in the sunniest spots.
    There is one flowerbed on the north side of the house under some large oaks. I was thinking of putting some gingers in there. When we first moved here we had tons of armadillos digging up everything. I haven't seen them in awhile, maybe due to our dogs (?) I might try the smaller gingers in that flowerbed. They should be hardy here in 9a. I would like them to multiply more.

It is kinda handy to have smaller gingers in pots. Once the foliage dies back, you can let the pot go dry and stack them in the shed or garage until late spring.
    I put some stacked ginger pots in a shed, inside a high cupboard last winter and they did really well.

• laura1
    10 years ago

ooooh! so beautiful! Love the colors. Stacking the pots of dormant plants is a good idea but knowing me I'd forget them until the middle of summer :-0 (bad plant mom!)

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked laura1
  • katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I love the globba gingers and grow them too. Since I am further south and a bit warmer in the winters I grow them in the ground. I wish they'd sell them somewhere around here, I love to get that sangria. I sure wouldn't turn down the Blue Hawaii either. :o)

I have the globe globba, along with the yellow, white and pink.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked katkin_gw
  • KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful! I particularly like the Sangria.

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

sultry jasmine night - most of them only seem able to be propagated by division. I've only seen one form of the yellow that makes bulbils - Globba marantina/schomburgkia or whatever. A lovely "weed"

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked alisonoz_gw
  • piksi_hk
    10 years ago

I'm drooling...they are one of my wants!
    Had some bulbils of the yellow dancing girls and they did germinate but did not make it to maturity.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked piksi_hk
  • abzzybee
    10 years ago

Those are beautiful, thank you for sharing them!

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked abzzybee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I am really enjoying them this year. I have them in much larger pots now and they have sent up many new culms and are really flowering a lot more.

Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a pretty globba, karalynn! No I don't have that one. These are the other two that I have right now. They used to be a lot bigger but somehow the tubers died back last winter so they are smaller now. I don't know if something ate some of them or what but they are recovering pretty well
    Globba white dragon.
    {{gwi:455438}}

Globba Mauve dancing ladies

Close up of the little yellow flowers that come out of the bracts. They are so cool, reminds me of a little scorpion!
    I know the pollen is under the stinger tail. Not sure where the stigma is to recieve the pollen?
    {{gwi:455440}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a heads up for ginger lovers since its spring lol. Zone 9 tropicals is offering a few neat looking curcumas that they are only offering for March and April. I got a couple different blue ones. I am not advertising for them or anything they just seem to have good varieties that you sometimes can't find anywhere else and they only offer certain varieties for a short amt of time every spring so wouldn't want anyone to miss out on them if they were interested.
    They also have the globba magnifica listed for March/April shipping only.
    ~SJN

This post was edited by sultry_jasmine_night on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 13:30

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Karalynn, I believe the one you have is globe globba.

SJN, where are you getting these other colors. I'd love to get the sangria one. Zone9 Tropicals only has one that I have already.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked katkin_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi katkin, I got the two globbas blue hawaii and sangria from zone9 several years ago when they had a special deal that if you 'liked' them on facebook you could order them at a discount price. I haven't seen these varieties around much at all since then. I did see a place that was selling the blue hawaii online somewhere..forget where right now....I suppose you could call or email them to see if they have any different globbas. I have always had good dealings with them so far.

I know another person who ordered some other rare globbas at the same time that I did (one different variety and also the Blue Hawaii ) but I haven't seen that person around much on gw lately. I believe her gw name was karyn1.
    I try to watch the spring offerings on zone9 and other places every year closely because that seems to be when they offer more unusual gingers since I am trying to build up a nice ginger collection.
    ~SJN

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm