Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a Moringa Tree cutting

Posted by scott_fl_z9 Saint Pete (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 21, 10 at 13:10

Is anyone living in Hillsborough/Pinellas Counties willing to share some cuttings off their Moringa Tree (Moringa oleifera)?

I would love to try my had at propagating one or more of these versatile plants.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a Moringa Tree cutting

Scott,

I see 32 different offerings on eBay for Moringa oleifera seeds and/or plants, some seed offerings are very inexpensive. If nobody local has it to share, perhaps you could buy it on eBay.

Lou

o

Scott --- I bought my moringa seeds from ECHO in Fort Meyers. Their website is echonet.com. If you want to buy seeds there, click on the "bookstore" tab.

o

Thanks for the help. I did see a few places, including ECHO, that sell the cuttings and seeds. I will break down and get them if I can't find a free branch/twig from someone local. The main reason I'm looking for something free...my wife is monitoring my tree purchases :)

Also, I will be in Orlando this weekend if anyone in that neck of the woods is willing to part with a cutting.

o

I have quite a few trees. if you are in the palm beach area, let me know

o

Scott -- I live in the DeLand area and I have a few new seedlings sprouted that I could share with you.

Christine

o

Thanks for the offers!

After reading about the moringa, my better half has said we MUST get one of the trees. So I've been given the green light to buy one.

Thanks Again,

Scott in Saint Pete

o

Put it in your most protected spot. Mine died back 70% from this winters freeze and I'm 1.5 hours south of you. (Or don't spend too much in case it happens).

I have seeds to share but am out of town until Sept.

Denise

o

hi all, i haven't been in for a while life got really crazy for a long time, but it seems like i might be back in the swing again. i have soo missed gw.
i'm looking to see who might have some moringa tree seeds or cuttings to trade. shoot me an email

o

Seems like there is a bit of interest still so I though I would send an updated....

I bought two small packets of seeds from ECHO back in July. Of those 6-7 of the seeds sprouted and I now have 8"-12" tall saplings. As gardencrazy noted, they don't like the cold. Even this 55 degree weather we are having in Saint Pete seems to have affected a few of them. Leaves are turning yellow on two of the plants.

So...so far so good. It has been worth the $6 I spent. If they make it through the winter I'll be real happy.

Scott

o

Christine,
I live in Deland and if you still have some seedlings I'd love to have one. I've tried seeds a few times but no luck sprouting them.

o

Anyone willing to share Moringa seeds of cuttings? email me julieann510@yahoo.com

o

Is anyone willing to share Moringa cuttings or seeds?
I have very limited funds, family members who have extreme health problems. I�m in the process of growing a forest garden and right now I�m focusing on medicinal herbs, leafy green and perennial vegetables.

Thanks.

o

Hello everyone,

This is a little bit off topic -- but could anyone tell me whether moringa leaves are edible raw?

Thank you,

Jenny

o

I got seeds from Echo too. They are very cheap and sprout easily. They are a foot tall and I started them in March.

o

zenny
Moringa leaves are edible but not too tasty IMO. It would be far far down on my list. I've used them in vegetable soup but again not too many, the taste is a little bitter but I've read how nutritious they are.

The seeds apparently work wonders however with polluted water which is very valuable. Grind them up and put in water and it clears the water to being drinkable. ECHO has more information on this (I've never tried it).

Denise

o

priscilla2007
email me at imagardener2 at comcast dot net or put your email address in your profile so you can be contacted.

Denise

o

Hello Denise,
I sent you an email.

o

It's been over a year since I started this tread and I'm happy to report that I now have three Moringa trees in my garden. All of them grown from seed purchased at ECHO.

Two of my trees are 1/2 to 2/3 inch in diameter and are 4 feet tall. I have trimmed them back several times. A third was just panted and is doing fine.

I have 2-3 more potted trees that I have no room for. If anyone is interested and can pick them up in Saint Pete let me know! I would love to share.

surlybikerider at gmail dot com

Cheers,

Scott

o

Denise:
I would love some seeds if you still have them. I will email you. Thanks a million.

o

Hi, everyone. I am looking for this plant and have tropicals to trade. If someone has a small tree that can be sent via mail or UPS, please email me. Thanks!

o

Scott, May I have a seedling please? I am in Largo and could come down over the weekend to pick it up. I don't see your email address in GW, but you can email me. Mine is there. Thanks!

o

Sorry for the late response. I still have the trees and just PM'd tinael01 and Alex.

Sorry Kay I don't think they will travel well. All my trees are now over 3 feet tall.

Scott

o

Thanks for letting me know, Scott. I do, however, think they would travel just fine if put in one of the long, triangular Priority Mail boxes and wrapped in moist paper towels and bubble wrap.

o

Hi Scott - Where do I go to see private messages? :) I didn't see an email.

o
thank you

Thank you Scott for the seedlings offer. That is very generous of you. Sorry I cannot take you up on the offer now. If we go on that road trip we have been threatening to do this Winter break I will email to see if you still have them or I will get the seeds you suggested.
Best.

o

i have a tree that i can take a cutting from i am in miami

o

I am in Miami and I am trying to get a moringa tree. My nephew drinks the tea to help with his diabetis. Please if anyone can help me I will gladly appreciate it

o

hello rosech. contact me murphyjp johnpmurphy at bellsouth.net i am in miami and have cuttings you can have.

o

No suggestions for moringa, but tell your nephew to look into chaya and its effect on diabetes, too.

o

Hello, We have seen a couple post on this blog, where members offered to share with another members some of your Moringa tree cuttings. We live in Miami too and have a passion to to see a grown up Moringa tree and maybe to be able to have some leaves or cutting so we can get to try it, we have a little one but is to little to cut yet. Will appreciate it very much, Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here