Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott_fl_z9

Looking for a Moringa Tree cutting

scott_fl_z9
13 years ago

Is anyone living in Hillsborough/Pinellas Counties willing to share some cuttings off their Moringa Tree (Moringa oleifera)?

I would love to try my had at propagating one or more of these versatile plants.

Comments (40)

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Scott,

I see 32 different offerings on eBay for Moringa oleifera seeds and/or plants, some seed offerings are very inexpensive. If nobody local has it to share, perhaps you could buy it on eBay.

Lou

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    13 years ago

Scott --- I bought my moringa seeds from ECHO in Fort Meyers. Their website is echonet.com. If you want to buy seeds there, click on the "bookstore" tab.

• scott_fl_z9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help. I did see a few places, including ECHO, that sell the cuttings and seeds. I will break down and get them if I can't find a free branch/twig from someone local. The main reason I'm looking for something free...my wife is monitoring my tree purchases :)

Also, I will be in Orlando this weekend if anyone in that neck of the woods is willing to part with a cutting.

• jay-wpb
    13 years ago

I have quite a few trees. if you are in the palm beach area, let me know

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    13 years ago

Scott -- I live in the DeLand area and I have a few new seedlings sprouted that I could share with you.

Christine

• scott_fl_z9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the offers!

After reading about the moringa, my better half has said we MUST get one of the trees. So I've been given the green light to buy one.

Thanks Again,

Scott in Saint Pete

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

Put it in your most protected spot. Mine died back 70% from this winters freeze and I'm 1.5 hours south of you. (Or don't spend too much in case it happens).

I have seeds to share but am out of town until Sept.

Denise

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

hi all, i haven't been in for a while life got really crazy for a long time, but it seems like i might be back in the swing again. i have soo missed gw.
    i'm looking to see who might have some moringa tree seeds or cuttings to trade. shoot me an email

• scott_fl_z9
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seems like there is a bit of interest still so I though I would send an updated....

I bought two small packets of seeds from ECHO back in July. Of those 6-7 of the seeds sprouted and I now have 8"-12" tall saplings. As gardencrazy noted, they don't like the cold. Even this 55 degree weather we are having in Saint Pete seems to have affected a few of them. Leaves are turning yellow on two of the plants.

So...so far so good. It has been worth the $6 I spent. If they make it through the winter I'll be real happy.

Scott

• starryrider
    13 years ago

Christine,
    I live in Deland and if you still have some seedlings I'd love to have one. I've tried seeds a few times but no luck sprouting them.

• julie5510
    13 years ago

Anyone willing to share Moringa seeds of cuttings? email me julieann510@yahoo.com

• priscilla2007
    12 years ago

Is anyone willing to share Moringa cuttings or seeds?
    I have very limited funds, family members who have extreme health problems. I�m in the process of growing a forest garden and right now I�m focusing on medicinal herbs, leafy green and perennial vegetables.

Thanks.

• zenny_jo
    12 years ago

Hello everyone,

This is a little bit off topic -- but could anyone tell me whether moringa leaves are edible raw?

Thank you,

Jenny

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

I got seeds from Echo too. They are very cheap and sprout easily. They are a foot tall and I started them in March.

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

zenny
    Moringa leaves are edible but not too tasty IMO. It would be far far down on my list. I've used them in vegetable soup but again not too many, the taste is a little bitter but I've read how nutritious they are.

The seeds apparently work wonders however with polluted water which is very valuable. Grind them up and put in water and it clears the water to being drinkable. ECHO has more information on this (I've never tried it).

Denise

• imagardener2
    12 years ago

priscilla2007
    email me at imagardener2 at comcast dot net or put your email address in your profile so you can be contacted.

Denise

• priscilla2007
    12 years ago

Hello Denise,
    I sent you an email.

• scott_fl_z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's been over a year since I started this tread and I'm happy to report that I now have three Moringa trees in my garden. All of them grown from seed purchased at ECHO.

Two of my trees are 1/2 to 2/3 inch in diameter and are 4 feet tall. I have trimmed them back several times. A third was just panted and is doing fine.

I have 2-3 more potted trees that I have no room for. If anyone is interested and can pick them up in Saint Pete let me know! I would love to share.

surlybikerider at gmail dot com

Cheers,

Scott

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

Denise:
    I would love some seeds if you still have them. I will email you. Thanks a million.

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Hi, everyone. I am looking for this plant and have tropicals to trade. If someone has a small tree that can be sent via mail or UPS, please email me. Thanks!

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Scott, May I have a seedling please? I am in Largo and could come down over the weekend to pick it up. I don't see your email address in GW, but you can email me. Mine is there. Thanks!

• scott_fl_z9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the late response. I still have the trees and just PM'd tinael01 and Alex.

Sorry Kay I don't think they will travel well. All my trees are now over 3 feet tall.

Scott

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, Scott. I do, however, think they would travel just fine if put in one of the long, triangular Priority Mail boxes and wrapped in moist paper towels and bubble wrap.

• tinael01
    12 years ago

Hi Scott - Where do I go to see private messages? :) I didn't see an email.

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

Thank you Scott for the seedlings offer. That is very generous of you. Sorry I cannot take you up on the offer now. If we go on that road trip we have been threatening to do this Winter break I will email to see if you still have them or I will get the seeds you suggested.
    Best.

• murphyjp
    12 years ago

i have a tree that i can take a cutting from i am in miami

• rosech
    11 years ago

I am in Miami and I am trying to get a moringa tree. My nephew drinks the tea to help with his diabetis. Please if anyone can help me I will gladly appreciate it

• murphyjp
    11 years ago

hello rosech. contact me murphyjp johnpmurphy at bellsouth.net i am in miami and have cuttings you can have.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

No suggestions for moringa, but tell your nephew to look into chaya and its effect on diabetes, too.

• Merchon
    10 years ago

Hello, We have seen a couple post on this blog, where members offered to share with another members some of your Moringa tree cuttings. We live in Miami too and have a passion to to see a grown up Moringa tree and maybe to be able to have some leaves or cutting so we can get to try it, we have a little one but is to little to cut yet. Will appreciate it very much, Thanks.

• journey_in_silence
    8 years ago

@Christine(happy_fl_gardener) , I live in Deland. Like starryrider, I too tried some sprouting some seedling from the seeds.. It sprouted about 6 inches and died in winter.. Never came up again :(. If you have some seedling or cutting, can you please share with me? My email is journey.in.silence g mail com. Thank you :)

• tinael01
    8 years ago

Moringa grows so easily from even a long thin branch you jam in the ground - which makes an instant tree. I recently cut mine back severely, but I could probably manage cuttings. I am in Largo/Seminole. Not that keen on mailing stuff...but happy to meet places and share.

• Debi Sumner Shell
    8 years ago

On Sunday and Monday I will be coming and going from south Ga. on I 75 going to Orlando. I would love cuttings, seeds, or a plant if anyone can share! I have chronic shingles and Dercum's Disease and would love to try this. I know I will need to bring it indoors in the winter. Thanks!

• tinael01
    8 years ago

I will be in orlando briefly on Friday - but I think that is too late for your trip. ECHO sells seeds...ECHO.org

• liz1ttr
    8 years ago

I purchased a small moringa from Bravo market last summer and planted it in my lousy, sandy soil. The tree took off and was 6' tall by the end of summer. A friend warned me not to leave it outside during cold nights so I planted it in a large pot over the winter. The tree is now about 9' tall now and growing beautifully! I heard that after 2-3 years, once the tap root is large enough, the tree will survive our winters outdoors in Central FL. I know it has wonderful health benefits but I hate the taste. I try to mix it in with soup.

• Mark Reese
    8 years ago

Wanted to pass on a little hint about planting Moringa. I highly recommend people plant PKM1 seeds. This is a hybrid seed that has been around for at least 15 years (I think) but not a lot of people know about it or why you should plant it. The wonder of the PKM1 seed is that your trees will produce seed pods in the first year of planting which is awesome. ECHO (great organization - I have been there for some training) should sell the PKM1 seeds. I carry them on my website www.ahealthyleaf.com too in the online store. Here is a video I took last week showing how many seed pods this Moringa tree had. I planted this tree from seed this spring. I try to regularly update videos so subscribe if your interested:

• tinael01
    7 years ago

Hi there sure I'm in Pinellas County at the Western end of Ulmerton/ Walsingham Road near the beaches. I've also seen Moringa cuttings at the wagon wheel flea market very affordably.... I work from home most days so you can just email me and we can pick a time

• SusieQsie_Fla
    7 years ago

Hey Tina!

It's so good to see you back in the forum! I have missed you and wondered what you've been up to.

Susie

• tinael01
    7 years ago

Hi Susie!! So sorry I missed this. I am doing okay. I'm not growing much...hit the midlife change and can't handle the power surges in the heat...lol. how about you?

you can email me directly on tinael01@hotmail.com

• shuffles_gw
    7 years ago

How do I tell when the moringa pods are mature? These have looked like this for six weeks or more. I don't know the variety, but this tree was planted from seed about a year ago. It is now blooming again. I guess I'll have seeds to share.