Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Another New GardenWeb Feature!

Have you noticed that in addition to your own threads, you can now subscribe to threads started by others? It used to be that you could only request replies be emailed to you if you initiated the thread, ie., made the first post. Now, when you reply to someone else's thread, there is a check box to request email notifications when replies are posted. So you can, in a sense, "subscribe" to a thread. I like that because, if you visit a number of GardenWeb forums, you can forget which threads you are following!

Note that on your Membership Details page, you must have the box checked for "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." See link below.

I don't think you can subscribe to a thread without posting a reply. (If I'm wrong, please let us know!) But you can easily type the word "subscribe" in a reply and get the job done.

Thank you, GardenWeb! I appreciate the new tool!

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Edit Your Membership Details

Comments (11)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump on down.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ignore - testing editing feature.

Carol

Original Author
    10 years ago

Is anyone aware of ANY method to DELETE a post? If you edit a post to remove all content, when you try to post the updated, edited, blank version, you get an error message. Is there any way to DELETE an entire post - to remove all traces of the post?

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

As far as I know you cannot delete the whole post?? I've tried it but all it does is remove ALL the posting (words) but the post itself stay on :o(

If someone knows please share...

Thanks for letting us know about the new feature :o)

Nancy

Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, as far as I know, you can't even do that. If you try to remove all content and repost (the updated, blank posting), it results in an error message. It appears that there has to be some content but I don't know how much. I don't think you can edit a previous post to a blank post.

By the way, this thread is a year old. I chose this one for testing so as to not annoy users by using a thread that had subscribers. :)

Carol

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Oops...you're so right!! Never even noticed the date,lol...

You would think there would be a way to remove your own post but maybe they leave that up only for the powers that be?

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    10 years ago

If when you edit the post, it won't let you enter a zero length post, you can probably just enter a nonsense tag and close it like this:

<nothing></nothing>

That way the post won't be blank, gardenweb will accept it, yet nothing will be displayed in the body of the post.

I play around on the HTML forum and usually just edit the post to contain the single word "deleted".

Original Author
    10 years ago

No, that won't be accepted either. But I did just find out how a 2012 thread got bumped to the top of the forum without any obvious recent posting. From the GardenWeb staff: "Members cannot delete posts, but we can. Most likely the post was bumped up because it was spammed and we removed the spam post."

Makes perfect sense. :)

Carol

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    10 years ago

testing

This post was edited by chuggerguy on Sun, Sep 22, 13 at 20:48

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahaha! Point made!

Original Author
    10 years ago

But yours does leave the "edited by" tagline whereas the other thread had no trace of any recent post.