Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydrangea/coleous/ginger bed

Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 13:26

The flowerbed in front of my parents house is looking so good that I just had to share a picture of it! There are hydrangeas, coleous, caldiums, spiral ginger, and butterfly ginger growing in this bed with a couple banana trees on the end.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydrangea/coleous/ginger bed

Very nice! Did you have anything to do with growing that landscape??? ;-)

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 17:46

The only thing I had to do with that particular bed was to encougare them to add the banana trees and the ginger. Mom was the one who came up with the combination of the hydrangeas and coleus while Dad did most of the labor!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 18:49

It is lovely. I would love to be able to grow hydrangeas. That is a great color combo. :o)

o

So lush! I love it!

o

Hi
Can see at a glance you have fairly decent soil lol did you improve it before planting? i grow almost everything in pots because of my sand seashell mix lol
Looks fantastic!! gary

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 6:41

I have to keep coming back to this photo, it is so lovely. They did a wonderful job of mixing the colors.

o

• Posted by karalynn z9 FL, Inverness, Ci (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 8:45

When my parents first bought the house there was hardly any landscaping and the soil was pure sand as is much of florida. The soil in the flower beds has been built up by around 20 years of soil ammandments like horse manure and compost and layer upon layer of mulch that's rotted down into a thick layer of rich soil. Although, you can tell by how pink the hydrangeas are that the soil is a bit sweet.

The colors look even better this year since they repainted the house. It used to be a faded gray, the new blue color just makes the flower colors pop even more!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here