Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

slow gardening in July...

whgille
10 years ago

Hi All

With the rains, heat and humidity I am taking small steps in the garden getting ready for the fall.
The fruit trees are doing really good and need minimal care.

I started tomato seeds

Harvested some sweet potatoes

Figs are so good! I made a delicious dessert with arborio rice cooked in coconut milk

The ornamental garden is doing great thanks to generous friends who have enrich my garden with their wonderful plants.

How is your garden doing? Are you starting any cuttings, seeds? We all like to know your progress...

Silvia

Comments (39)

• flyingfish2
    10 years ago

Things are really hot, humid, and rain here west of PSLucie!

Thinking about gardening , but not much happening. Have tomato seedlings growing. May start more if this persists to have some when things get a little better.

Love the looks of your fig dish. We have small figs on a brown turkey and stalk of bananas maturing. Not much else. Oh , black jungle butterbeans.

bernie

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Tomato seedlings are 9 days old. Took this picture about 5 minutes ago.

4 Sungold
    4 Beefmaster
    2 Better Boy
    1 Supersweet 100

Too early and hot to do anything else. Maybe some bed prep (weeding/amending) in the mornings before it gets hot. Next month I'll be one busy gardener, though.

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

I keep expecting my tomatoes to collapse but they are 6 feet tall, full and still healthy, not sure why. They are not making new tomatoes though due to the weather. The bell peppers are still going strong and 100% healthy.

My new passion is figs....currently have about 70 varieties going and will stop around 100.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Looking good everyone, too hot here for much.

For the first time I did actually get the two pineapples that were out front, not sure why the squirrels didn't get them :-)

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Otherwise, some basil...

• tomncath
    10 years ago

and Rosemary...

• tomncath
    10 years ago

and last, but certainly not least, Silvia's red lime seedlings!

Tom

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bernie

Now it is a good idea to plan the garden indoors, it is just so hot. I am also planning to start some new seedlings every week. Fall will be here shortly and is good to hear that you have bananas coming up and the black jungle butterbeans. I downsized the banana garden drastically because it is a lot of work, just kept a couple.

Hi The Tradition

You are ahead of me with your tomato seedlings, good for you! they look nice and healthy and you have good varieties. We will compare notes at the peak of the season. I am also prepping the beds for later.

Hi Bamboo

Wow! you are going to be super busy with all those figs! I have 3 varieties, one old fashioned and early, the other one ripens after and one late. And I pick fresh figs every day for me and my friends, made ton of recipes and will make some more. Love figs!
    My bell peppers are still going strong and producing every day even with this heat, that is why I didn't start any for the fall.

Hi Tom

Those pineapples look so tasty! lucky you, I only have one ripening and it is taking a long time.
    Rosemary and the red lime are getting big, I got some blue basil from Derek and is still surviving.

The K plant that you gave me is still looking good with all the rain

Tamarillo, yacon, fig, suriname cherries in the background and a ripening pineapple

One of my herb beds, basil, sage, thyme and hot peppers

Silvia

• laura1
    10 years ago

Silvia the figs look so good! I want a fig tree so bad but everyone tells me that between the fruit flies and birds i won't get any! I had some fresh figs the other day and that DID IT! I'm getting a fig tree. Any preferences?

I've been hand weeding out front so my jasmine will finally win !
    I'm waiting for my starfruit to set some fruit.
    Two stalks of bananas
    My pineapple went to pups...never got big but a lot of babies.
    My peach tree isn't a year old but has gotten huge!

I'm growing a lot of succulents and if it wasn't for this new shed I would have a lot of mush!
    {{gwi:570604}}

• lilquats
    10 years ago

I have about 150 tomato seedlings started a few weeks ago under lights, just potted up and moved onto the porch. Will fertilize with fish emulsion starting next week. Have 60 eggplant seedlings and 90 pepper seedlings ready in a few days to pot up as well and move to porch. Started collards inside a bit early, will plant some more as the month goes on. Lovely sweet potatoes. I should check mine.. probably ready for harvest soon!

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Laura

I never had a problem with bugs or birds in my fig tree, actually we had some baby cardinals last week, they are gone already.
    My best variety at this moment is one that was planted by the settlers in my area, it is very good, early and sweet. The person that sold me for $5 didn't know the name, it fruited the same year that was planted and now it is full grown. I never spray either, they do get rust at the end of the season but it does not matter, the tree is hardy and can be used in so many things, salads, breads, jams, you cannot beat fresh figs with a good cheese. We are lucky enough to have a weather for figs since they don't ship well and are expensive. I can send you some cuttings if you want, they are the easiest thing to root and you have the perfect spot with those beautiful succulents display. Send me an email if you are interested.
    The other two figs that I have is a very good tasting variety Violette de Bordeaux, it will ripen later and after that Col de Dame which also a is a very good tasting fig.
    I have been tasting and eating figs since I was a child, too bad I didn't keep the variety that I grew up with in my house, those were huge and delicious figs, that usually was breakfast for me with very fresh cheese.

The cardinal nest

Hi Lilquats

You are getting ready! what kind of tomato, peppers and eggplants are you planting? what collards? collards can take the heat you will be fine.
    What zone are you in? eggplants like some heat, here is mine. I only plant one because this variety Orlando is very prolific.

Silvia

• bamboo_rabbit
    10 years ago

Silvia,

If you post or send me a picture of a representative leaf, a picture of the entire fig, a picture showing the eye and a picture of the fruit cut in half lengthwise I can have it ID'ed for you so you will know what your unknown is.

Laura,

It all depends what you like. There are dark figs that taste great like Black Madeira, deep rich figgy flavor or you can go with green on the outside figs and red inside some of which taste like strawberry, some like peaches and some like raspberry jam.

• amberroses
    10 years ago

I'm doing almost no edible gardening right now. I did plant the tomato seeds. It is so hot and humid. Plus, the mosquitoes, fire ants, and other bad creatures have taken over. I spend my garden time doing unpleasant things like mowing the grass, pruning the jungle, pulling the weeds. I'll try to get back to the edibles next month.

• amberroses
    10 years ago

I'm doing almost no edible gardening right now. I did plant the tomato seeds. It is so hot and humid. Plus, the mosquitoes, fire ants, and other bad creatures have taken over. I spend my garden time doing unpleasant things like mowing the grass, pruning the jungle, pulling the weeds. I'll try to get back to the edibles next month.

• lilquats
    10 years ago

Silvia, I have Cherokee Purple, Delicious, Beefsteak, Green Zebra, and Super Sweet 100 tomatoes. Cali Wonder, Marconi, Sweet Banana, Jalapeño, and Orange Bell Peppers, + White Beauty and Black Beauty eggplant. I should try that Orlando eggplant variety come springtime, it's huge! Collards are Georgia Green. I'll put them out next month when I have my beds prepared and manured.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bamboo, thanks for the offer of the ID but some time ago Dan (the Louisiana fig expert) I think he has over 1,000 figs said when I posted the pictures that it looks like it is an old fashioned sport of a mix with Celeste and Brown Turkey, he also said that only close eyes figs should be grown in humid climates, it doesn't matter what it is, I like it and is good enough for me.:)
    Sal who used to post in the fig forum had rare figs from his family in Italy, I miss Sal and don't know what happened because he is not posting anymore, I got some of the best tips from him to grow figs.

Hi Amberroses, it is a very good idea to downsize on the edibles this time of the year, less bugs and disease to battle later, I am cleaning the garden too and hope to be ready for the fall.

Lilquats, sounds like a good plan and good varieties, the specialty market always like different varieties that they cannot get at the store. I didn't start any peppers this season because mine are still producing. The oriental type of eggplants do better for me but the Orlando is more productive, I gave one to my neighbor a couple of years ago and is huge and still producing. The collards so far the best variety for me are the Green Glaze, if you want to try those I can send you some seeds.

For dinner I had a very tasty avocado salad with greens and chicken, dessert was a cardamom fig cake made with fresh figs and fig preserves with almond flour.

Silvia

• saldut
    10 years ago

Wow, Silvia you are the best! and your garden is so neat I am green w/envy.... please can you tell me, where do you get all those different varieties of figs? I have some from HD, but nothing exotic like yours... I have not been doing much in the garden except pull weeds...but did plant those 'mater seeds and they are up already, Tom says too soon so guess I'll plant some more next month...I did do some cuttings, most will be taken down to Lakeland to the Antique Rose Society meetings at FSU, we have a Raffle, we all take different stuff in.... soon the weather will moderate and the serious work starts! LOL, sally

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I just started some tomato seeds, since everyone else was. But I keep thinking it's too early for me. I stay warmer longer since I am further south then most of you, but since Bernie did and he's close to me I thought I try it.

I have a rose bush that isn't doing well, and I guess I'll replace it with a croton, but it is so hard for me to pull out a plant that isn't completely dead.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sally, thank you. My oldest fig about 5 years old I got it from a long time resident in the area who had the fig planted by the settlers, it is the most productive, healthy, tasty and earliest, that is important for me. The Violette of Bordeaux and the Col de Dame are young and I am still waiting for the production, I love the taste from the few figs that I had. I got them in the internet, I have to look at the name because is a private vendor. I also tried a lot of figs from the fruit farm and one giant one is the Texas Everbearing, I was not too crazy about some of the LSU they had. In Arizona I had a Black Mission, a Panache and a white rare oriental variety. Because is dry and hot there figs tasted the best, here we have to battle with the rains but it is worth it. And yes, nematodes love figs! the soil has to be amended really well, I put everything organic in my productive fig, the other 2 are recently planted.

I only have 2 Louise Philippe roses that Bill gave me a few years back, they are indestructible! lol

Hi Katy, I had a visitor this morning, this lady knocked my door and she said that she thought someone from Jamaica was living in my house,lol. I gave her a tour of what is growing now because she said she grew the same things and she walks the trail every morning. Well she knew almost all the edible names of everything that I have and then she said, "do you grow sorrel?" I said to her how do you eat it? she said she makes Jamaican wine and she is going to bring some plants, she gave me a lot of recipes for other crops too.
    Katy, do you remember Sal? he was from NY and lived around your area, I wonder what happened to him, maybe he went back?

Silvia

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Tomcath, I bet those pineapples smell so good! Just looking at them is making my mouth water although I'm not supposed to eat pineapple! Home grown pineapples are usually so sweet and juicy that they're worth the risk of the likely mouth ulcers that I get from acidic food.

Everyone's plants look great! I don't have anything edible growing in my garden right now except for a couple pineapples plants that just won't produce fruit and a bunch of herbs. Mom's myers lemon tree that we planted this spring has fruit on it and the peach trees are growing like crazy. I keep wondering if I should prune them some more.

The ornamental garden is doing wonderfully! Everything seems to love all the rain we've gotten and is growing and blooming great. In fact, some plants that should have stopped blooming by now are still going strong. The banana trees out front seem to get taller by the day and all of the different color butterfly gingers are starting to bloom. My front garden is filled with bees, butterflies, and my resident hummingbirds all day long, well when ever it's not raining at least!

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kara

I agree with you the ornamental garden is doing great with the rains, here are some of the beds and how much they have grown.

recently planted ornamental tree

Mark's justicia plants, they finished flowering and they are starting again

changed the begonia plants in the pot, the ones in the ground are still going strong.

Silvia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Silvia, your garden is looking so good. The ornamentals are filling in nicely.

Yes, I remember Sal, he lived in St Lucie West. He hasn't posted in a while. Maybe he's a snowbird and will be back in the fall. He was a big Giants fan and we talked about meeting in a sports bar for a game but it never happened.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Katy, I started your double pea vine seeds. And yes I remember that now about the Giants, we also talked about it meeting there with him and we thought it would be nice to meet with you and Ralph also. I hope that he shows up again.

It is the only time of the year that I like this crape myrtle planted by the side of the house.

And is almost time for atemoyas...

Silvia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Silvia, that crepe myrtle looks lovely. It has really grown and is very full now. I have a couple dwarf, one pink and one purple. They sure put on a show.

I am growing a champagne mango from seed, so we'll see how it does. It's over 6 ft tall now. My haden had a smaller crop this year and is pretty much done now. I should get the one they were talking about in another post that fruits several times a year. How is your avocado doing?

• vegasqueen
    10 years ago

The pineapples were extremely sweet and juicy. It took two years but was so worth the wait. I agree homegrown fruits are the best.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katy, I agree with you crape myrtles look good this time of the year everywhere.
    That will be interesting about your Champagne mango, they are good tasting.
    My avocados are better than ever, the fruit is perfect and is a very care free tree for me, never spray or bugs or anything.

Still have a lot on my tree

Hi Maxine, those are some gorgeous pictures of your fruit! you should be very proud of yourself! You got some fat banana growing there. I invited the lady from Jamaica to the party, she seems like a very good gardener and cook, I am still thinking about the sorrel, I have not decided it yet, remember the callaloo? lol
    I downsize my banana garden to two kinds, the one is the most productive and the other is the red not so productive but kept it because I like it when it fruits and is also pretty.

One of the ones left

Today's fig harvest from only one tree, I am glad that the other ones are not producing yet and that they get the crops later on.

Going in the oven

Silvia

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Silvia, what avocado did you buy? I grew one from seed and it was great, but took 7 years to get fruit. I am too old to wait that long now.

Your figs look so yummy.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katy, I have a grafted Brogdon avocado for about 5 years and it has been very productive every year since it was planted. I just love the creamy and delicious taste, perfect for avocado dishes, makes the best guacamole, sandwiches and salads.

Brogdon avocado salad

Silvia

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Alright, Silvia. It's time to get to the dirty details.

You have me looking for Brogdan Avacado trees after that glowing review. But not so fast... where did you obtain this specimen that produced fruit every year since you planted it? How big was it when you obtained it? Was it in a pot or bare root? What time of year did you plant it? What sort of care did you provide in its first year or two?

Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, your town must have an amazing microclimate with two large lakes to the south and the north.... I would imagine that really helps keep temperatures moderated. You lucky gal, you.

This post was edited by TheTradition on Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 21:18

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Bananas, peppers, Mona Lavender

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi The Tradition

I have been so busy today after I found a lost dog when I was walking on the trail this morning, she looked tired and sick. After she rested all day and we put posters on the trail and the internet for the owners to find her, we called the animal services so she can get the medical attention that she needs.

Now about the Brogdon I got it in a nursery by my house called My Kids Tropicals, I got it in a 5 gallon pot, the largest one that they had and I don't remember what time of the year I planted but it was probably after we moved here around spring time. The first 2 years we did protect it from frost, after that never because it is big enough and like you said we have a nice microclimate with the 2 lakes around, my neighbors were telling me that last week they saw a 6 foot alligator hiding in the bamboo at a nearby house. The tree is very healthy and never needed any spray for bugs or disease.

Hi Morningloree, very nice!

Silvia

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Here's a view of the side bed that I was working on a month or so ago. It's filling in nicely.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

And another view of the same bed. The owl came from a friends house that was having to downsize in order to get everything she owns into storage while she goes to China to teach for a couple years.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kara, those beds are beautiful! I love the character that the stones bring.

We went to Lukas nursery today, I looked over the fig trees even tho I am not buying, 3 figs are good enough for me. I just glanced at some and they had Green Ischia, Black Mission and others full grown, not cuttings if anybody is interested.

And while walking to the nursery, we saw Big Foot.:) and it was a nice seating area...

Silvia

• leelee_2008
    10 years ago

Silvia, your pics and posts are always so inspiring.

• keiki
    10 years ago

Everything looks so nice, espically loving the fig pictures Silvia! I went out to pick the remainder of mine this am but the squirrels beat me to them :(

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Leelee, I come to the forums because I get to learn a lot from other gardeners too.

Thank you Keiki, we have squirrels on the trail but so far they are only being attracted to the mature pigeon peas that are hanging over the fence. The only thing that I have to worry with the figs is being very diligent, pick them every day and before a rain.

Today's lunch was a salad made with greens, beans, corn, carrots and cucumber pickles, dried tomatoes from the garden and harvested some yacon that can be used as jicama, and avocados. With a lime and herb dressing from the garden. Not only delicious but very nutritious.

Silvia

• shuffles_gw
    10 years ago

Silvia, sorrel is hibiscus, Florida Cranberry, te Jamaica - it has lots of names. In the US it is used for tea. I put it in my breakfast smoothies. Planted in April/May, it is ready by November. I've heard cranberry sauce can be made with the fruit, but I've never seen it.

• whgille
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Shuffles, thank you for letting me know about sorrel that is a hibiscus. In that case I don't think I will be planting a lot of it, I bought a sorrel jam when I was in Jamaica and the last time that we had the garden party Derek from Tampa made a Florida hibiscus jelly that was good, in fact I still have some in the fridge. It will be interesting when I open the new jar and is the same thing! lol.
    Nice picture! they do look ornamental.

Silvia