Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadat_thebeach

Datil Pepper Seeds

redheadat_thebeach
15 years ago

Ok, I got sucked into the web looking at posting regarding Datil peppers and the hunt for the seeds.Someone mentioned a site called "Datil do ya" but it was no more. :(

I live in St. Augustine :) I was able to locate a local business "Dat'l do it" I can't tell you it is the same one but I can tell you it is the only dedicated nursery around here. I have tried several times to reach them on the phone, but just get the phone system run-around. Anywho, the web site is

www.datldoit.com

I could not find any seeds listed but it can't hurt to try and contact them. BTW the phone number is (904)824-2609.

Good luck Datil hunters! Please let me know how it goes, I can do some foot work here in St. Augustine if ya need, lots of local nurseries that are not quite up to the 21st century yet (aka: no web sites) we are the nations oldest city, and sometimes we move kinda slow.

Happy Hunting

Catherine

Comments (28)

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

I got my pepper seeds from them years ago.

But with the storms of 04 /05 I got so busy I didn`t plant them. My seeds were not good anymore. :(

I got some from a real nice guy on ebay ... shared them with a fellow weber and now got some good size plants.

Can`t wait to put them in my black eyed peas :)

D`Ann

• bihai
    15 years ago

I recently got 4 nice Datil pepper PLANTS from a local grower here in Gainesville. I don't know of a source for the seeds though.

If anyone is interested, I will be happy to go back and see if they continue to have the plants. We could arrange for you to either pay for them and the shipping to you (actual cost of plant and postage, no markup from me, LOL) or perhaps we could make trades?

• crackergal
    15 years ago

Hi all, I live in St.Aug. and I have a datil pepper plant with several peppers that have turned yellow. I should be able to pick these ripe peppers, dry the seeds a bit and have them ready to share in a week or so.
    Redhead,(and anyone else close by) You're welcome to stop by and pick up some seeds. For everyone else, I'll be happy to mail them to you if you send me your address.
    Happy gardening, Cindy

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Good to know Cindy !

I am sure I will be happy with my plants , but if I am not,
    I will be calling on ya :)

D`Ann

• eaglejohn1
    15 years ago

crackergal, you don't really need to dry pepper seeds. Actually, you can send just the pods and they are fine(less work).
    I get the ripe pods off peppers from people and deseed and plant right away. Most germinate.
    Also have gotten whole peppers that were over ripe out of trash at flea market and they worked also.

I bought my datil seeds off ebay awhile back, fairly inexpensive and good germination. Just starting to get flowers now, and I should have enough seeds for a lifetime of datilling. Will be happy to send pods as they develope.
    Also, have a zillion cayanne, anyone want some pods.
    john

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

The elusive datil pepper!
    Here's a pic of my datil seedlings this morning. From D'Ann's score. Between you and me, D'Ann, we should have this area covered.
    Now to keep them thriving away from their historic St. Augustine home. Can it be done?

• crackergal
    15 years ago

Eaglejohn, Thanks so much for the seed info. Don't you just love those trash to treasure finds? I had just thought that the seeds would ship better through the mail.

Jupiterplants, They do make such nice, longlived plants. I'm sure that you will have peppers for your peas for years to come. BTW, Do you cook the peppers with your peas, or do you make a pepper vinegar to sprinkle on top when they are served? Or both?

Treefrog, Those are some nice looking seedlings. The people that I know that grow the best datils, grow them in containers. They can live for years and get to be the size of a smallish shrub. The local lore is that datils won't grow south of Orlando or north of Savannah. You and D'Ann have busted that myth. Way to go! Keep us updated on how your plants do.

Happy gardening, Cindy

• wanda662
    15 years ago

I would love to get some seeds to try. My DH loves spicey hot so this would be right up his alley.

• bihai
    15 years ago

The Datil pepper plants are 89 cents each and in 4" containers. They had some more when I went by today

• jupiterplants
    15 years ago

Crackergal ,

I make a vinegar juice for the peas :)

My grandma brought pepper seeds with her when she moved to Fort Lauderdale.

Thank goodness they didn`t know they wern`t suppose to grow south of Orlando !

I would have never had one ! LOL !

D`Ann

• treefrog_fl
    15 years ago

Wanda,
    There will be an extra plant here for you. I think there are about 15 seedlings, which I'm planning to separate tomorrow. One per 6" pot.

I'm glad to hear D'Ann's grandma could grow them all the way down in Fort Lauderdale. I thought maybe they just knew when they weren't in St. Augustine, and refused to grow.

• babalu_aye
    15 years ago

OK, so you all got me curious as to what the heck a datil pepper is. I found lots of interesting information including one website Minorcan Datil Pepper Products that sells datil pepper seeds along with other datil pepper products.

Now I'm going to have to find some spare pots, make some room on the deck among the jalapeños and giant marconis and give these a try. They sound like they're very good.

John

• ginibee
    15 years ago

If anyone has a couple of extra seeds, I would be interested in them. Don't know if I have any of interest to trade, but will be glad to send SABE.

Ginny

• wanda662
    15 years ago

Thanks David and Crackergirl.
    David I should be down your way around the 12th of next month. Not sure wether I'll take the bus down or drive. Will let you know for sure.

• tree-hugr_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

Id be honored if any kind folk here would like to sell me some Datil seeds, or plants.

• tampasteve
    15 years ago

Hey folks, I have a friend in Orlando, a St. Augustinian transplant of Minorcan ancestry, who was telling me about these plants. If anyone has some seeds to spare, I'd like to sprout some and give him a seedling and raise a bush for me, too. :)

• nfmgirl
    15 years ago

I just bought a Datil pepper plant at a plant sale here in town. We'll see how it goes. If I can keep the thing alive (it's potted, and I have to watch those potted plants carefully to keep them from drying out) and produce peppers, I'll be happy to share seeds.

• eaglejohn1
    15 years ago

Got plenty of seed from last years crop. Seems to be germinating well. If anyone needs some email me.
    john

• tampasteve
    15 years ago

Email sent. Thanks!

• hmsgrandslam
    15 years ago

My grandmother used to grow the plants in the keys. I just bought some beautiful plants from the feed store in st. augustine on sr16. Look them up they are very nice and have alot of beautiful plants. They may even share where they get their seeds. Hope this helps. Hank

• sunithapillai
    15 years ago

That is one interesting pepper. I love peppers and I did not know this kind till I read this post and looked it up online. Now I just have to grow these too.

• wookieluv0nmarz
    15 years ago

I am of minorcan herritage and i have these datil plants as well. Will trade for peter peppers ect. any other hott peppers.

• cjc45
    15 years ago

Glad to know that about the viability of seeds from fresh peppers. I'm going to try it with poblanos since I have trouble finding those seeds.

We'll be passing through St Augustine in September. Can one of you natives recommend a good Minorcan restaurant so we can sample food made with datils?

• ayyubaddeen
    13 years ago

I have access to Datil Pepper plants in my area of Jacksonville FL (About an hour from St. Augustine)if anyone is interested $10 includes shipping.

• SKEETERSIN
    12 years ago

I LIVE IN NW FLORIDA AND AM GROWING DATIL`S VERY SUCCESSFULLY HERE 8 MILES SOUTH OF GENEVA AL. I HAVE 5 PLANTS 3 YRS OLD THAT PRODUCED 400 PEPPERS THIS SUMMER AND ARE STILL BLOOMING . I EXPECT AT LEAST ANOTHER HUNDRED BEFORE THE COLD WEATHER SHUTS THEM DOWN WHEN I BRING THEM INDOORS FOR THE COLD WINTER WEEKS...

• shin-tetsuo
    10 years ago

I started growing some Datils earlier this year, and was wondering if anyone might have some tips or a second to answer a question or two about them. I live in Northwest FL, and any feedback would be appreciated.

• shin-tetsuo
    10 years ago

I started growing some Datils earlier this year, and was wondering if anyone might have some tips or a second to answer a question or two about them. I live in Northwest FL, and any feedback would be appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

• mistiaggie
    10 years ago

The person who run the Pure Florida blog typically sells seeds too.