Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

How to grow Swamp Sunflower...Hints?

aveo5
13 years ago

I finally found some roots of this sunflower, 'Helianthus Angustifolius',it takes off by its roots, and it is starting to put out leaves on its stems,but they are round and soft and light green. I am nearly 100% sure they are the Swamp Sunflower. But they are not gaining any height,and the shape of the leaves have me thrown off. I recall them being thin,rough,dark green,and stiff.

I cant seem to get these to grow, I have the sections I bought,in a growpot, trying to get them off to a good start,before I put them into the sand soil we have here in south Fla. Does anyone have any idea how to get these plants to grow? I use to have them in my yard, and they grew like weeds. Didn't have to do anything to them,barely watered them,and I had a jungle of them! Then one season , they didn't come up,and it has been years since I finally got these sections from EBay. I never knew what they were called. I got these and they are rooted in the growpot in very good fast draining soil,but I cant get any height on them, and these round soft leaves have me stumped! Are they 'baby leaves', and the older the plant gets, they will start to get the long thin leaves?

Or did I get stuck with a different type of sunflower? Does anyone have any hints on ho to get these up and growing? I am in Ft.Laud. if anyone is near me,maybe I could come see yours in the ground...maybe make sure that I am even growing the right one? I dont think this seller sold me the wrong thing, she grows them every year,she said, and the stems/roots looked like what I remember when I had them in my yard. But I am stumped. Can anyone help?

Comments (2)