Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skurosawa

Need Help with baby plum tree

skurosawa
10 years ago

Hi everyone I'm new here to garden web. I was unsure which thread to join so I joined the Florida one. I'm also new to gardening and am always needing advice

I just bought a baby plum tree off eBay it looked beautiful and healthy when it arrived. It's about 4ft tall and came with green leaves. I planted it in my front yard right away. I dug a deep hole layered it with potting soil (I didn't have any top soil and a good gardener in my family told me she often uses potting soil if she doesn't have top soil) the soil included miracle grow so it's been fed and it's been raining like crazy so it's getting plenty of water

Today I noticed the leaves look like they're drying up? It was planted maybe 3 days ago tops so could this be transplant shock?

Is it anything I need to worry about?

Is there anything I can do to help it out that I haven't already done?

I don't have the greenest thumb in the world but I figure gardening is a skill that takes practice and luck

I also have a better bush tomato plant I planted in a pot back in May I already have 2 tomatoes on it but I noticed the bottom half of the plant is turning yellow I think it's getting too much water from all the rain if I transplant it to the ground will that help it or could shock kill it?

Comments (6)

• thetradition
    10 years ago

It's an awfully hot time of year to plant a tree.

The rain may not be enough for it. I'd water every day (twice a day if no rain) deeply.

I trust your tree is planted in a well-drained location? They can't take standing in water.

As for the tomato, they're not supposed to be able to survive this far into summer. The yellowing leaves is due to the heat and humidity, breeding fungus and disease. Mine are all melting from the same thing, too. Bug pressure also increases as the summer wears on. Planting in the ground now will probably not have good results. I'd baby the heck out of it to get the toms ripe that you do have on the plant. You're unlikely to get more from this plant as the heat stifles pollination.

Although I have heard of people who keep plants going for more than one season, I start fresh twice per year. July 15 is my target date for starting seeds for my fall garden.

• skurosawa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for the info!! I will try watering the tree more so far I've just been letting the rain take care of it I haven't noticed any standing water so I think it's getting good drainage

How do you baby a tomato plant? I'm hesitant to bring it inside as I've noticed little white bugs in the pot and I don't want the bugs getting inside the house
    I did wrap a plastic bag around the pot to keep the rain out to stop it from getting over watered

• thetradition
    10 years ago

Babying is just like what you're describing. Keep the water off it and watch for bugs. Use oil or soap for "little white bugs," BT for caterpillars, and Sevin for stink bugs. Keep them fed and hopefully your tomatoes will ripen.

• skurosawa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all the info! I went ahead and transplanted the tomatoes because I figured if they were dying anyway I didn't have much to lose. I think perhaps it may have been out growing the container because there was new growth on the bottom and the roots were huge when I pulled it out of the pot. I will try and baby it as best I can in the ground and hope for the best. I've been using a mix of water soap and tea tree oil for pest control but I think I will switch and buy a spray from the store.

Do you know how much water I should give the plum tree? I was thinking of recycling a milk jug and giving it 1 or 2 gallons per day depending on wether it rains or not

• thetradition
    10 years ago

I use a little sprinkler that can spray a small circle around the tree covering the entire root zone with the hose barely on. Let it soak the area until it's deeply watered (this could take 30 minutes or more). You want to saturate the ground, but not leave standing water. Do this every day for the first couple of weeks (twice a day, morning and evening, if no rain). Once the tree seems to be establishing itself (putting out new growth, not wilting in the heat of the day) you can cut back on the water, but you'll still want to deep water once a week until the temperatures come down (more often if no rain for several days). In the winter, lawn irrigation should be enough with maybe a soaking every few weeks or so. Start deep watering weekly again in the spring when leaves and blooms are flushing. After two years, your tree will be well established but will still benefit from a good long drink once in awhile.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ftpf.org/aftercarefactsheet.htm

• skurosawa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all the tips I really appreciate it it was very helpful! :)

I did notice yesterday that even though the original leaves appear to be dying and falling off there are new leaves sprouting towards the bottom so I think if I water it more like you said it should do great :) Thanks again I really want this tree to make it can't wait for it to grow big and look all showy and maybe eventually by the time my son's in kindergarten we'll have some plums :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida