Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregsytch

Rainy season

gregsytch
9 years ago

OR..lack of one. Has anyone received appreciable rainfall this summer? Here in New Port Richey, July has totaled 3/4" and it is almost halfway done. That was in three "storms". Today - clear, breezy, 92F thundered zero rain. ZERO. I went Jul 1st - 11th without any. June was no picnic either. I have to water a lot. My lawn was so brown, and a Crepe Myrtle 20' high was wilted yesterday. This makes gardening NOT FUN.....

Comments (19)

• L_in_FL
    9 years ago

It's been dry here, too. I got a couple of tenths over the weekend and that has been all the measurable rain I've gotten in weeks. May and June were below normal rainfall, too.

In fairness there has been some rain over the Panhandle the last couple of weeks - we have had lots of days with 50%-80% chances of rain in the forecast. But the rain somehow just misses my house. I keep seeing the storms dissipate on radar a few miles out, as if there was a rain shield over the neighborhood.

Supposedly we will have more chances for rain later this week. At this point, I'll believe it when I see it.

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah exactly. I keep saying ive got an umbrella over my neighborhood. The radar is lit up again, today, in the same places - inland Pasco, Hernando, Z-hills - this is VERY frustrating!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    9 years ago

We've been getting hammered here in Lake County. Most summers we have to deal with afternoon storms, but the past three weeks have been storm after storm after storm at all hours of the day. I enjoy the heat and can often handle the humidity, but I removed four bolts from my truck the other day and I was dripping with sweat afterwards. And it wasn't even 'hot'!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Golly, it's been pouring every day this summer. The day before yesterday was the first non-rainy day in over a month.

We're overrun with snails and slugs here. I'd happily send some of this rain over your way if I could!

• ritaweeda
    9 years ago

We've gotten rain everyday, sometimes twice a day for a couple of weeks now. If it's not raining it's threatening to storm which keeps me from attempting anything. Then when it does rain it lasts for sometimes 2 hours. We have hardpan clay which means the property is soft and squishy all over, plus one whole side is under water. Had to get the county to come out and take a look at the drainage problem since they paved the lime-rock road, the idiots didn't put in any drainage on the side so now the water draining off the property hits the impervious road and slows down, it gradually runs down the road because we are on a slight knoll but it's taking it longer. 3 days ago it rained so long and so hard that we had a lake within 10 feet of the house. I was getting sick at my stomach. It rained so hard that the water wasn't draining down the drains around the pool fast enough and I thought it was going to flood in the back door. We had a swale dug on the bad side of the property a couple of years ago and it's been fine until now. We will have to make this swale wider and deeper to handle this amount of water in the future but it's so bad right now there's no way to run equipment through it.

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

I haven't been measuring, but here in Tampa we have been getting plenty of rain for the past couple weeks. However, June was very dry, with not much more than an inch.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Boy, I do feel your pain. In 2012, northeast Florida was classified as 'Exceptional Drought'. That's the worst level there is - even worse than 'Extreme Drought'. I've always said that my house is in a Rain Donut. Greg, it sounds like you are in a Rain Donut, too. :( I hope you get a good soaking soon.

I've linked the US. Drought Monitor below. Drought Monitor maps are updated weekly: updates are released each Thursday at 8:30 a.m. Eastern Time.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Drought Monitor

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 11:16

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Carol,

That website is really broad, I have no idea how you got down to the picture you displayed above but I'd sure like to know without spending 15 minutes trying to figure it out.

Tom

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had really good rainfall from Nov thru April. Not excessive, but above normal some. Then the period mid Apr started getting dry. It did rain a few times, heavily, by late May. June was rather dry, but one episode gave us 2" to help. Then July came. Until Fri night, we did not get anything more than a brief shower. Nada. Living within a mile of the Gulf, that also means the sun comes out with the seabreeze. My yard has been so dry, and my poor water bill. I feel like this is a joke. They are saying Wed HUGE chances! Fingers crossed!

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had really good rainfall from Nov thru April. Not excessive, but above normal some. Then the period mid Apr started getting dry. It did rain a few times, heavily, by late May. June was rather dry, but one episode gave us 2" to help. Then July came. Until Fri night, we did not get anything more than a brief shower. Nada. Living within a mile of the Gulf, that also means the sun comes out with the seabreeze. My yard has been so dry, and my poor water bill. I feel like this is a joke. They are saying Wed HUGE chances! Fingers crossed!

9 years ago

Greg, I hope you get the promised rain on Wednesday. I know the cool front sweeping the US is supposed to give some wacky weather (even though it is not making it all the way to Florida).

Tom, Oh no! I unintentionally misled you and I am sorry. That photo is not from the US Drought Monitor website. It was a screen shot of the weather radar on a Jacksonville news station's website - just to demonstrate the Rain Donut.

If you are looking for good, high-detail weather radars, here are my two favorites: Intellicast and Wundermap. You can relocate them for your zip code. (Triple-click on the link, right-click, select Open Link in New Tab.)

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/WxMap.aspx?location=USFL0228

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=30.274&lon=-81.480&zoom=13

Carol

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 9:05

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol - Your link was great. Our local BayNews9 has a fantastic radar that allows me to see what I am missing by a mile. LOL..I also use Wundermap and it works great. Of course, my big summer sale begins Wed-Sat and already, Ive had some customers ask me about Wed AM and the rain chances. I teach school, but also specialize in begonias and sell during summer (keep busy). You know when it will rain, right? The radar is lit up this morning in the Gulf yet I have so much to get done. Sigh....Greg

• hester_2009
    9 years ago

Here in my part of Sarasota, there has been no rain for about a month - oh, maybe a few huge drops once and awhile even though the skies would darken, wind pick up, etc etc. Very frustrating.
    Until ...hooray...about 4 this morning, a nice big storm right overhead and it dropped about 1/2 inch. So I look forward to at least one day when I don't have to drag out hoses!
    (the timing could have been better, however - my cat and I have been up since 4)
    Hester

9 years ago

Greg, I hope you get rain but not on Wed-Sun during sale hours. I know very well who you are - I'm one of your customers! :) I contacted you a couple of months ago but you were recovering from some medical stuff. Good to hear you are doing well enough for a local sale! Wish I lived closer. I'd be first in line.

Here's a link to Greg's begonia blog for anyone interested.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Planet Begonia

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Greg, when & where is your plant sale?

Thx
    Helen

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Helen- I am in New Port Richey. While I am a teacher, during summer I do quite a number of sales. I specialize in begonias (have like 200 varieties) and other tropicals and gesneriads. I do USF Sale, Sunken Gardens, a few others when I have time. I am now in my home sale - Saturday all day but early birds thru Friday with appt. My back yard is full of growhouses.
    YES IT RAINED AND RAINED FINALLY almost 2" from Tues eve thru this morning! Thankfully........

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CAROL - Yes, I know whom you are! I had major shoulder surgery in April. Repair of two tears, 6 incisions. However, I am in good shape, so recovery has been swift. I am already at the gym doing assisted pullups, bicep curls, etc...and how I kept all my plants going, I do not know! They look pretty good, and my yard has survived the drought..Thx! Today's early bird customers set a record for one day sales. I am so grateful! It has been hard work this year.

• ibarbidahl
    9 years ago

I bet you added another 4" to that total this last 24 hrs. We got hammered for the last 2 days in Odessa

• gregsytch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did get a lot of rain, but not 4". I am very thankful for what fell. From almost zero all of July, to 2-3" in 36 hours is some change. The yard looks so much better. It was so dry for so long!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022