Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sydneyhoza

Fiddle leaf fig

SydneyHoza
9 years ago

I have a fiddle leaf fig that I just got. I have repotted it and used some systemic in the soil, as I did see a few pest issues. It is now several weeks later and the all three stocks have leaves that are covered in brown spots. there was new growth on ones stalk that promptly fell off and died. what am i doing wrong? Should I put it outside for a bit?

Comments (4)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

It sounds like you've overwatered it. Put it outside, in full sun and water it only once or twice a week. You can try some fungicide, but I'd wait at least a couple of weeks before throwing any more chemicals into the mix.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

More info, please? What did you use in the soil? How much? Did you really repot, or just pot up? How much larger was the new pot? What did you use for soil? Did you fertilize since the 'repot'? Did you change its location or orientation to the light source after the work you did?

I just happened to see this in the "Most Recent Posts" section. You might find the link below to be helpful.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More on Ficus in containers if you click me.

• SydneyHoza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! i really had no idea there was a difference between "potting up" and "repotting". I potted up. I used a powder systemic and thought i followed the directions carefully. I used the next size up from which it was in but the new pot is not a growers pot. I used a standard potting mix and i also fertilized it about a week or so after the transfer. When I purchased it, the fig was at an indoor location but wasnt air conditioned.(more of an open air indoor location). It has been in the same location in my house since it arrived (which is indoor in my living room, which has great circulation from a ceiling fan but is also air conditioned)
    I have always enjoyed these plants but can never seem to keep them for very long.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    9 years ago

Learning to ride a bicycle with one hand tied behind your back would be a daunting task, but after you've gained the skillset and are proficient on a bike, riding with one hand tied behind your back would be easy. Growing is a lot like that. Most growers use what's readily available or what they get hooked on by advertising hype, which essentially amounts to learning how to grow with one hand tied behind your back.

For the most part, what plants want from container culture doesn't vary much. They want the right temperature, and light exposure that favors the plant. They want a soil that you can water to beyond saturation (so you're flushing the soil when you water) without having to worry the soil will remain soggy for so long it seriously impedes root function or causes root rot, and they want a well-reasoned nutritional supplementation program that you can stay in control of, which is monkey easy to do. Plants you're wanting to keep over the long term also need some attention paid to their roots, so the stress of root congestion doesn't lead to strain and subsequent death of the organism.

If you have interest and you're willing to invest a little reading time in learning how to avoid nearly all the limitations that frustrate growers who still have a hand tied behind their back, I'm pretty sure I can get you to a place where you CAN keep your containerized plants happy/healthy over the long term.

Al