Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow turmeric?

Posted by writersblock 9B/10a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:36

I noticed that our Publix has a huge basket of turmeric root pieces right now. Has anyone tried growing turmeric? How does it do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow turmeric?

Here's a blog post from someone in SW Florida (zone 9b) who is growing it successfully.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Turmeric in Florida

o

Thanks!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:17

Hi Writersblock

I grow turmeric in various parts of the garden, it grows like ginger, likes shade and can be divided to make more plants, the flower is really pretty, blooms around August in my area. Here is a picture from last year.

photo August2012_016.jpg

Silvia

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:39

The turmeric looks like curcumas. And has a pretty flower to boot.

o

That is beautiful, Silvia. I've seen the plant before, but not when it's blooming. Katkin, do you grow it?

o

Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:58

No Writersblock I don't, but I am thinking about it now. I got a ginger root at Nelson's Farmers Market and it's growing good now. I have lots of curcumas growing and other gingers.

o

Well, FWIW I'm in Jensen Beach and I saw the roots at the Publix on Jensen Beach Blvd, if that helps any.

o

Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 5:01

Thanks Writers, I'll try to get over that way, but I'll check my Publix closer to me first.

o

Cool seeing that flower - reminds me of the flowers of hidden ginger. I have some turmeric growing in my yard & now I'm hoping it will bloom - it's been growing for a year now.

I bought the tubers @ Whole Foods in Tampa

This post was edited by carolb_w_fl on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:22

o

I got some turmeric root at a health food store and am interested in growing it. I chopped up some root last night and made a tea out of it like I do with ginger, it was really good. Do you just bury the root under the soil and keep it moist? I am wondering if I should try to root my turmeric like I root figs - in a plastic bag with moist sphagnum moss?

Does anyone harvest the root and consume it? What is the process for doing that and still keeping some of the parent plant alive and growing?

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 17:06

In my experience, it is very easy to root just like the gingers. I just put it on the soil when it is warm. You can harvest and save some for later, they will multiply.

Silvia

o

Has anyone in California gtowm turmeric? I am zone 9b supposedly, here in northern California. It looks to be tropical, but i get hard freezes here. I am wondering if i should try it in a deep container in case i need to bring it indoors?

o

Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 5:36

bdot, I think you would need to ask that on the Ca forum. They could answer it better, but I would think it could be container grown.

o

Turmeric is Curcuma longa which is reportedly root hardy to zone 7b despite a lot of misinformation out there saying it is purely tropical.
Here is a link to one of the best articles I've read on planting turmeric.

Here is a link that might be useful: growing turmeric

o

A friend of mine grows it in 7a, of course she overwinters the roots in the greenhouse.

I'm keen to try it here in central fla.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here