Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fisannie

eggs in compost

fisannie
13 years ago

We have a ton of eggs. Can you put raw or cooked eggs in compost?

Phyllie

Comments (18)

• cavamarie
    13 years ago

Sure. You might attract some critters, tho.

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

I throw all my broken eggs in the compost pile along with the chicken poop because I have one dumb hen that likes to air drop her eggs from the roosting perch two feet up instead of using the nesting boxes.

Lou

• fisannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cavamarie What kind of critters are we talking about?

Lou I'm glad to hear it. I thought I had someone tell me not to use protein in compost. Maybe it was all a dream. Please don't feel alone about dumb animals. In my 64 years of living I have had so many stupid animals I've lost count. Loving but stupid.

Phyllie

• bigpaulie1972
    13 years ago

Raccoons, Possums, lots of ants. There may be a few others that are attracted to the smell as they rot, but not too bad a list since they are probably already looking at your compost on a regular basis anyway.

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

yeah but all that digging and rooting around they do helps turn and aerate it. Get the dang critters to do your work for you I always say!

Lou

• oukay
    13 years ago

Two thoughts: 1. If the eggs are still good for consumption, why not donate them somewhere? 2. You don't really want to encourage racoons to scavenge in your compost. If they use the area as a latrine, you could have problems. They carry a really nasty roundworm that causes big problems for people. If you are then touching the compost bare handed, or are using it for veggies that you will eat raw, you are putting yourself at risk. The roundworm eggs are extremely tough - some contaminated areas require steam cleaning or flaming.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

While I'm not sure what a 'ton of eggs' means, if you smoosh 'em up & water 'em in & add an equal or greater amount of soil, you can easily compost a dozen or so in a normal sized pile w/o much stink. They need to go deep in the center of the pile, tho.

& if you're concerned about critters invading the pile, you might try burying them in various locations (if it's more than a dozen) - again, smooshing, watering & mixing w/ soil before covering.

Proteins add nitrogen, BTW.

FWIW,HTH

• saldut
    13 years ago

I find if I cover the compost hole-pile with a large board and then weigh it down with a block, the coons can't get at it... works for me ...........sally

• fisannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone.

We have a friend who is a vet. My husband takes care of her farm when she is away, and she is away alot. We get at least 6 eggs daily. We had our kids over for dinner last night and let me tell you we had deviled eggs to spare.I think I will do all of the above and see what works best for us.

Phyllie

• fisannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oukay How exactly do you do flaming?

Phyllie

• msmarion
    13 years ago

Isn't there someone in your neighborhood who would love to have fresh eggs? If you lived closer I'd be there in a New England minute for fresh eggs.

• oukay
    13 years ago

Use one of the Weed Dragon mini "flame throwers". I have used it for killing weeds in the sidewalk and drive-way cracks, sterilizing (hopefully) tomato cages, and using as a precautionary, intermittant cleaner for the ground in dog runs. I don't know what the exact requirements of time are, but we go slowly all over the bare ground to kill worm eggs. Playing with fire is always exciting and requires close attention and a ready hose.

• sharbear50
    13 years ago

How did I know you were going to use a flame thrower? Funny.

• fisannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

msmarion There is a teenager in our neighborhood who sells eggs to everyone. I would not want to break up her little enterprise. I could give them to St. Francis House but we live in the country and don't go to town very often. How long do eggs stay fresh anyway?

Sharbear sounds like you know oukay well.

oukay Sounds like fun to me.

Phyllie

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

Here's your answer as to how long can you keep fresh eggs.

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken eggs shelf life

• fisannie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks stuartwanda. I just might be able to give them to our homeless shelter in Gainesville.

Phyllie

• verlaj
    13 years ago

I give my extras away or hard boil, chop, and feed them back, shells and all, to the chickens. Cracked ones go into the compost.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I crush and bake the shells in the oven and refeed to the chickens. The actual unusable eggs I give to our dogs who love them or sometimes I just throw the whole deal into the compost if someone pushes the egg from the nestbox or something.
    I don't let my chickens eat eggs they break because I don't want them to learn there is a yummy treat in the eggs and become egg eaters lol, although a few times it has happened when I'm not around to see it.