Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can i "cut" the Green one in half?

Posted by sweetmonkeycheese z9 Tampa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 14:56

The green one has grown so much so fast. I want to keep some in the pot and then re- pot some in another pot. Can that be done or will it hurt the plant? I forgot the type the green one is, the purple is Persian Shield

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can i "cut" the Green one in half?

Yeah, you can pull them from the pot and gently tease the roots apart. I find it helps to use a bucket of water and a hose to wash the soil out of the roots. Then immediately repot both.

The green one kind of looks like my Firespikes and if that's what it is, it can take being cut back to the roots and it will come back... and then you could plant the nodes of the cut material and get lots of new plants... if it's Firespike.

o

Actually, looking at the pics again in the light of home rather than the blazing sun of Sea World, the green one does not look like Firespike to me. It's too bright. Mine are a darker green. Still, it looks like it has shoots at the nodes, so it should be able to hand a pruning. If you are unsure, prune back one stem by one node and monitor it. If it sprouts one or two more stems it should be okay to prune.

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 22:08

o

• Posted by tomncath St Pete Z10a Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 7:10

Sure wish we knew what it is, I think the colors are striking together. If you had some idea that it was not going to get too big I'd leave them together.

Tom

o

looks like coleus...other is Persian Shield....Coleus will be rooted by the time you get in the house after repotting.....

o

The purple is a persian shield and I cant remember what the other is, but I think it is a very common thing - light bright green shady plant - I looked up the coleus and I think that is correct.

When I bought them I knew I was on the hunt for the Persian and once I had that in my hand I picked out a pretty pot and then need something I thought would go nice w/ both, so the bright green was my choice, was too excited about the Persian to even think to see what the green was (Persian was the only plant my husband saw that he liked enough to make a comment about, so I knew I had to get one!)

when you say "will be rooted by the time" - that is a good thing right, means it can take the separation and re-poting w/ out a problem.

well I guess I am off to read about Coleus now... Thanks!

o

Yes, it's a good thing. Coleus is one of the easier plants to transplant and take cuttings from. I wasn't sure it was coleus because most I see are multicolored and that one looks bigger than ones I have had, but there are 'Jumbo' varieties and it could be one of those. But yeah, coleus can be cut back and then you can put the cuttings in a glass of fresh water and they will put out new roots in about a week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here