Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Anyone in St. Pete want to try chayote?

tomncath
14 years ago

So, we've bought it a the local grocery stores and have eaten it a couple of times and I really liked it. I bought five fruit to try to grow and then saw this post. I pulled them out of the frig but it was too late for two of them, they succumbed to mold/rot. The other three are doing well and the vines are almost a foot long now, BUT Cathy says NO since we just don't have the room to let a vine sprawl 30'. Here's some more info if anyone is interested...3 chayote looking for a good home :-(

Tom

Comments (12)

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Tom, but why couldn't you keep it pruned to the space you want it? So maybe you'll only get 12 fruits, but that's a lot till next year and then start again. I mean we prune trees and bushes to keep them in size why not vines that produce a veggie as well? It would be worth a try with at least one, the worst would be you'd have to dig it out. I have thug vines of flowers that I hard prune once a year to keep them in the space allow. Just a thought!

• flyingfish2
    14 years ago

Hey Tom, maybe bring one to Jerry's and I will put it in area I cleared in palmettos.

bernie

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy - my Cathy says NO :-(

Bernie - if I get no takers this week they are all coming to your house this weekend, might take a shot at all three anyway to get one to take when you put them in the ground. I tried talking Jerry into putting one along the chain-link fence but it's not his fence and he doesn't want to take a chance on perturbing the neighbors....

Tom

• whgille
    14 years ago

Tom

You scared Cathy with the gourds! It is all your fault. lol

Silvia

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Thanks for the great link, Tom. Another perennial veggie... I love it.

Veronica

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Silvia, you're sooooo bad!

Hi Veronica, that's why I was interested, PERENNIAL! I though I'd just put them in the ground, fertilize once in a while and harvest the squash in the fall...what veggies can you grow year around instead of having to restart each year? So far, just peppers and okra, oh well....

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, they're on their way to Bernie's house today....

• flyingfish2
    14 years ago

Yep, I have 3 delivered personally all the way across state , hope I can keep at least one going.What a guy, that Tom! Tom, do they like constant moisture, ie, should one go in a SWC?

bernie

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Beautiful! My two are rotting. One has a 3" shoot and the other, with the worst rot, just barely has the growth showing. Sigh.....

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tom, do they like constant moisture, ie, should one go in a SWC?

Brenie, these are perennial...I'd just put them in the ground. I doubt they'd do any better than grape vines would in an SWC.

Beautiful! My two are rotting. One has a 3" shoot and the other, with the worst rot, just barely has the growth showing. Sigh.....

V, if you see rot that fruit/seed is history but don't give up, maybe it's the variety you bought. If you want I'll buy five more from SweetBay and see how it goes. They were only 59 cents each. If I get them started you can come over to the VA hospital and pick them up...just let me know.

Tom

• thonotorose
    14 years ago

Tom, You're a gem.

Let me try again with some from SB. Maybe they are fresher then the ones I've been getting. I'll keep you posted.

I did take my rotties out and buried them in some mulch...

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let me try again with some from SB. Maybe they are fresher then the ones I've been getting. I'll keep you posted.

Okay V, just let me know how it goes....

Tom