Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Plumeria cuttings...should I water?

puglvr1
9 years ago

Potted a couple of Plumeria cuttings 9 days ago in very moist/wet "Gritty mix". I haven't watered it since then...should I water it again today? If not when do you recommend I water it again...

Also is the "wrinkling" on the trunk normal? Its my first attempt at rooting plumeria so I have NO idea what's normal or if the wrinkling means its rotting...

Thanks in advance for any help...

Comments (26)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The top of the cuttings looks pretty good, lots of green and the new growths look good too...

• tomncath
    9 years ago

N, they look very dehydrated to me, I think they are way too dry but I'm sure no expert. I'd post your pictures over at the Plumeria forum to get advice from those with much more experience.

Sticks left for months to years in NO soil can leaf out and bloom from the green tips regardless of what is happening below....

Tom

• wallisadi
    9 years ago

To much water, no water. Need to harden or callous the end before replanting.. I think you have an issue.........hopefully someone can go into more detail...........

• tomncath
    9 years ago

I agree, I don't think they are going to make it if left as they are. My bet is that the bottoms are black and rotting.

N - did you leave the sticks out for 10-14 days to heal over the exposed end wounds before putting them in the mix? If not you need to pull them out and inspect the ends, cutting back the rotted sections. Then, put them in the shade but in an area with good ventilation, and mist them at least daily to try to rehydrate the upper sections some. If you see any new black rotting at the bottom they will have to be cut back again....

Tom

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all your help and advise...I will pull them out, inspect the ends and cut off any rotting parts and re-start them.

I did not let the cut ends dry out...the day I potted them up I was leaving for a week and most of the instructions I got were to let them calloused for 3 days...that's why I decided to pot them up right away...I'm sure that's the problem!

I did post this on the Plumeria forum and only had one response,lol...This forum was a lot more helpful :o)

Thanks again!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after I inspected it the bottom does look black but at the same time I see roots forming on the outer top couple of inches so now I'm not sure if I should just put it back in the pot and "see what happens" do or die,lol...

What do you guys think?

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I'll let it ride and take my chances and see what happens? I hate to start over especially since there's roots...actually if you look very closely on the first picture I posted there's even the beginning of roots on the bottom part...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

Hi Pug,

I love plumeria, too. But those white lines... are you certain those are roots? Or could it be surface mold? Make sure those really are roots before putting back in soil.

Carol in Jacksonville

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Carol...not 100% sure its roots, but it appears to be? Luckily, this is the very common white with light yellow flowers variety that grows commonly around here and the neighbor that gave it to me said if this one doesn't root she can give me another...so I'll just let this one do its thing...if it rots I will make sure I let the next one dry out about 3-5 days before potting the cuttings.

• tomncath
    9 years ago

That shriveling at the bottom and color, and the dehydrated stems are clear indicators of stem rot, a fungal problem they won't recover from. None of us like to call it quits but I'm afraid they are done for...pitch them and start over. Sorry.

Tom

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Darn, oh well!! Back to the drawing board,lol...Thanks Tom!!

• wallisadi
    9 years ago

Cut them where the trunk is solid and green. Dip the cut end in cinnamon and let it harden off for a few weeks in a dry location. Take off all but the top two leaves. When you replant, course, potting soil, water only when dry......good luck.

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Cut them where the trunk is solid and green. Dip the cut end in cinnamon and let it harden off for a few weeks in a dry location.

I was tempted to say the same, including an antifungal like cinnamon, but seeing dehydration all the way up to the green tips I have my doubts they will survive. Still, given M's green thumb and expertise it sure is worth a try. Let us know how it goes.

Tom

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Appreciate the suggestion...I've cut off all the black stuff and there's a nice clean healthy green (no rot)...I'll let it callous for a while and try again...nothing to lose at this point!

Thanks again

• stuartwanda
    9 years ago

I water rooted all my Plumeria, you can see when the stem starts to root and then pot them up!

• tomncath
    9 years ago

I water rooted all my Plumeria, you can see when the stem starts to root and then pot them up!

Me too, after they scab over, then in water until the bumps/nubs appear, then into a dry potting mix.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have 2 cuttings so maybe I'll try to root one in each...I'll wait for it to callous over though, thanks!

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Pug Lover,

Yup I water rooted too! I think you can search and find some pictures of mine in an old post. Key to rooting plumeria's in a pot is you need to place it in a warm spot, out of direct sun, where it will not be "bumped" or disturbed. Also fast draining mix and a black pot seem to really help with success.

Helen

• tomncath
    9 years ago

...black pot seem to really help with success.

I prefer clay pots for plumeria since they breathe and shed water quickly, just another thing to keep the mix dry....

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I've got it in bright light but in a covered area since I don't want the rain and or sprinkler to hit it...trying my best to keep the one in fast draining mix as dry as possible. I use Al's mix so it very fast draining and doesn't retain moisture long. Fingers crossed!

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Hi Tom,

I hate the look of the plastic black pots so I just root cuttings in them. I move them to more decorative pots if I'm keeping them. Pretty much as long as I start them when it's hot outside, I don't have any problems rooting them. I usually just stick them anywhere until they're well rooted, usually a black pot on top of concrete where it can get rain (but I don't water other than that after the first time) but not be knocked down or broiled in the sun. Or just plop some cuttings into a glass vase and wait lol. I used to have about 25 varieties but now I only do compacts or dwarfs. Less to trim and root since I hate to waste good cuttings :)
    Helen

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Makes sense Helen, I'm just old-fashioned and don't like plastic much. I know it means I have to water more but I only use plastic for seed starts and plants that require a lot of water...that's just me.

Tom

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

Yeah, Tom, me too about the dislike of plastic. I just used them initially to "recycle" but it turned out good.

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Yeah, Tom, me too about the dislike of plastic. I just used them initially to "recycle" but it turned out good.

Well, for many millennium the only containers available were clay, I think they had a day or two to learn something....

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

" I don't have any problems rooting them. I usually just stick them anywhere until they're well rooted, usually a black pot on top of concrete where it can get rain (but I don't water other than that after the first time) but not be knocked down or broiled in the sun. Or just plop some cuttings into a glass vase and wait lol."

WRF..You have NO idea how lucky you are :o)...and then there's me,lol...can't see to root them to save my life :o(

I would love to get a couple of those "dwarf" ones, I think that's definitely something I'd like. I like plants that stay small and compact...