Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Amistad

Posted by juneroses Z9a-Lady Lake FL (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:11

I needed a garden "fix" this weekend so made the rounds of a couple of local nurseries to see what was available. Was pleasantly surprised to find several plants of Amistad beckoning to me. Something has to give up its space if Amistad is to come live with me so...

I'd welcome the observations of fellow Floridians who may already be caretakers of this much talked about salvia. Is it happy in your garden? Are you happy with it? Are the critters using it, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Amistad

• Posted by tomncath St Pete Z10a Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 6:17

Sure though you'd have some responses by now. I have three but only for about six weeks now. One in full sun down by my lake where it stays fairly wet this time of the year, I'd say it is the least happy right now. The second one is in front of the house with morning sun and afternoon shade, it is much happier and blooming like crazy, beautiful but not a lot of butterfly activity yet. The third is in a clay pot in filtered shade all day and it is blooming like the second one. Striking color, I really like this salvia.

Tom

o

First, this is a good hummingbird plant and it will bring some butterflies to your garden. The color is special; it is striking. I had windows put in a month ago or so and the only plant that the one man wanted a cutting of was the Amistad.

It likes fertilizer and water. Most of us have well-drained soil. If it gets lots of both it will do well in full sun. Like most salvias, however, it appreciates some shade.

It will get big if you give it a chance. Some of mine are now five feet tall at least. You don't have to dead-head it, but it will bloom more if you do. Also, it tends to get tall and lanky, so it will like it if you have something for it to lean on. If not, then I suggest cutting it back from time to time.

Last, it is a perennial. Mine are only two years old, but I hear they last many years.

Enjoy! Let us know how they do for you. Tomcath, please to the same.

Tom

Central Florida, Zone 9B

o

• Posted by tomncath St Pete Z10a Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 11:05

...Let us know how they do for you.Tomcath, please do the same.

Will do Tom, fingers crossed it draws in the hummers in another month or so.

o

Tom and ....Tom! Thanks for the info. I had a spot in mind but the size you're quoting is bigger than I planned. I realize I can cut it back, as suggested, but I'm also thinkng "right plant/right place". Anyway, I appreciate your both taking the time to respond. - June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here