Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

just a couple of pics

hester_2009
12 years ago

The lorepetulum is blooming profusly!

and so is the white cat's whiskers - purple behind it and that is just starting. It all looked so sad during the winter so I'm happy to see it doing so well.

Now we just need rain again so these happy plants will stay happy!

Hester

Comments (17)

• User
    12 years ago

i see you are one of the few that venture out in the heat and see what's blooming.....and take the time to share some pics....now is when everything is at it's best....everyone goes in the ac.....nice pics....m

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Hes, what are all those white blooms in the second picture? Looking good!

Tom

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I actually like the heat! Good for my old bones I guess.
    Tom - those are cat's whiskers Orthosiphon stamineus - a nice perennial that comes in white or purple. they froze back last winter a little but obviously came back well.
    Glad you enjoy,
    Hester

• annafl
    12 years ago

Hester,

I missed your post before. Love those cat's whiskers! Soo cool. Looks like you've got a good stand of them. Nice they are true perennials. Your loropetalum is gorgeous too. I love that you've let it adopt its natural shape. So much prettier that way. Your garden has filled in so fast and so beautifully. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Anna

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    12 years ago

Aren't the cat's whiskers lovely? Their flowers remind me of bursting fireworks. In my own garden, I prefer the white over the lavender.

Hester, I enjoy seeing pics of your garden. - June

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anna-
    thanks for writing in - I'll see you soon
    June-
    I prefer the white too! I never had much luck with them before (at my previous home) but they seem happy here.
    Thanks for the comment about enjoying my pics..I never know how many people see them and/or like/not like the garden so I welcome any feedback.
    I'll be posting occasionally now that things are beginning tp put on some size and blooms after my first year here.
    Hester

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Hester

You can count me as one who enjoys your pics, you do a great job in your garden, it is nice to be able to see virtually other places and I always learn something new and get possible ideas about what can work for me.

I recently bought a lorepetulum for one side of the yard, looking forward that it turns pretty like yours. Love that cat's whiskers!

Silvia

• keiki
    12 years ago

Lovely! I have no luck with cats whiskers and yours are so beautiful. Can you tell me the conditions you give yours, pretty please?

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

Hester, I am with you, I can do the heat. I worked outside all day today. I love the photo's of your garden. I have a white cat's whiskers that is doing well this time. All the other times I've tried it, it died. I have no idea what I am doing different. lol

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Keiki-
    You can see from katkin's post that cat's whiskers can be tricky - I, too, have had them other places and they hadn't done well.
    these I put in last fall, covered them (sort of) during a freeze, cut them back early spring and fed them once. they get full sun up until about a month ago when the sun goes behind a tree and now get afternoon sun only. I watered that garden during the dry spell but have stopped now as we are getting rain.
    Hope that helps!
    Thanks you three for letting me hear from you!
    Hester

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Hester and Katkin,

I got a cats whiskers today. It's been on my "want list" ever since reading this post. Wish me luck!

Carol in Jax

• FLgardenmom
    11 years ago

Hester,
    I just love your garden. There are, obviously, a lot of wonderful gardeners on this site, but every time you post pictures, I think "THAT'S the look I'm going for!" Thank you so much for sharing, and once again, inspiring me!

Becca

• sis3
    11 years ago

Wow! I have always passed on the Cats' Whiskers at the USF plant fairs but I will definitely be bringing some home from the next fair! Thanks Hester!

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another old post surfaces!!
    In the interest of full disclosure as well as honesty to my fellow GW friends....the cat's whisker's croaked over the winter. Now,.... they may have come back, but I couldn't stand it so ripped them out. This is the third time I've tried them and I thought I had it right, but obviously not.
    I'm finally deciding that some of our "perennials" should really be treated a annuals and that's fine with me.
    the lorepetalum also suffered a bit but bloomed well again this spring. So that's a keeper.
    Becca..as soon as we get decent rain, I'll be posting some pics - right now, things are struggling (so is their owner!)
    Hester

• tomncath
    11 years ago

I'm finally deciding that some of our "perennials" should really be treated a annuals and that's fine with me.

And that's what we appreciate here, it make us all better, or should I say happier, gardeners ;-)

Tom

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

And to my surprise my cat's whiskers is still alive and blooming. !!!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Hester, I love resurrecting your and Anna's old posts. It's one of my hobbies. Always have photos worth seeing again!

Hugs,
    Carol