Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of sun on enclosed pool deck!

Posted by garcich1 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 15:16

Hi all! I'm a newbie at planting, but I just love my plants! My only problem is I'm not sure I'm properly caring for them:( I have a screen pool deck, that is about 30x40, but it gets full sun! I currently have potted plants on the deck--all of which I bought at Lowes & the tags said they were full sun...but on days that it is not raining, they look wilted. Is the Florida sun and the heat from the concrete too much for them? Should I build some little stands to put the pots on so that air can flow under the pots and so that they're not sitting directly on the cement? Or do you suggest a type of plant that will do fine in the heat/sun (they get sun up/sun down light, as the patio faces North to South with very little obstruction from East to West light. Thank you in advance for any help keeping my pool buddies happy and healthy!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of sun on enclosed pool deck!

Potted plants dry out daily or at least by the second day here. You will have to attend to them regularly in this heat. (Make sure they aren't root-bound, too.) There is a product you can buy called Hydretain that you can add to the soil to prolong the watering frequency, I don't know who all carries it though. There are also potting soils with moisture retention pellets in them. But unfortunately, if you like potted plants they require constant attention for water.

o

I have a lot of pots around and they do require watering daily as you know. But I find that the summer pots need to be somewhat shaded. As a newbie, you will find that plants at the box stores that say "full sun" doesnt' always apply to Florida!
I would suggest that you raise them up off the concrete - not only for air circulation, but to keep the mold under them at bay.
If you can find Patricia Crawfords book on container gardening, you will find it very useful
Good luck,
Hester

o

Thank you both so much!!!!! I appreciate the help and will make sure I'm watering them daily or at least every other day! And I'll look into that hyretain & the book:)! Thank you both again!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here