Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claferg

Weed and Feed

claferg zone 9a Fl
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me if Weed and Feed products are harmful to animals? The reason I ask is that we lost our little Pomeranian about a year ago. The vet could not narrow down the cause of her demise, but I had heard that herbicides applied to lawns can cause harm to animals. I don't use herbicides in my yard, however our next door neighbor uses it. There is a fence between our yards, but she liked to go out front and walk on the sidewalk and she would always stop by our neighbors lawn while taking a walk. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem with exposure of their animals to herbicides. We are considering getting another dog, but am afraid the same thing will happen. Also, how about products like Milorganite, not a herbicide but might contain heavy metals.Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I don't know much about those products as far as pets go. I refuse to use any chemicals in my yard except fire ant control. Sorry you lost your baby. I don't use chemicals in the house if I don't have to. I have a cat. I used to clean house for a couple that walked their little dog. They would put it on the washer and use a wet wipe to clean his feet after his walk.

• cocoabeachlorax
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. My gut tells me that you may be on to something. We just lost our Yorkie to nasal cancer, a cancer typically rare in small breed dogs. We had to walk him twice every day as he simply refused to go in the back yard. I was careful to keep him off lawns listed as having been treated, but who knows what else he was exposed to. I always feel that if it's toxic enough to disrupt life in plants or bugs it can't be good for us.

• rosesr4me
    10 years ago

First of all, my sympathy to you that have lost your pets. I am a firm believer that lawn chemicals can be very toxic to us and even more so to much smaller animals. I have 3 indoor cats and even though I use only organics in my yard, I am always concerned about tracking toxins inside my home.

A sad case: The deer population in a large wooded development near me have been suffering for years with cancerous lesions noticed mostly on their heads. About 98% of the homes in this upscale development have lawn companies maintain the yards - using herbicides,pesticides and chemical fertilizers. The deer commonly graze in the backyards and unfortunately many of the wetlands in the area receive runoff from these yards. I can't help to think that it is not directly related.

Visit the organic gardening forum here...alot of insightful and knowledgable people to help you avoid chemicals in your yard.

• rosesr4me
    10 years ago

According to the below Cornell University publication, treated sewage sludge (ie. Milorganite) contains heavy metals, pathogens, and other contaminants. They specifically warn about contact with children and pets (particularly dogs who might find it tasty)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell University's Garden use of Milorganite

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

Most Weed N Feeds say in the instructions to keep kids and pets out of treated areas for the first 48 hours or so after application. This tells me they know that it can cause issues, but they don't seem to want to make a connection that if the Weed N Feed is 'long lasting' then the toxicity is 'long lasting' as well. I think the first 48 hours is more to allow any granules to fully settle below the level of the grass and thus 'less likely to be ingested', but as anyone who has a dog should know, 3 inches of growth will in no way hinder them from getting to something they can smell. This is why I don't treat the area (with fertilizer, weed control or anything) where I take my dogs to do their thing. They can wander around and do as they please without worrying about running into anything unnatural. Except my Sling-back chairs. My Springer gets so involved with sniffing things out of the grass she tends to ignore things she's about to run into, like said Sling-back. Or me.