Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zzackey

How to catch a Katydid?

zzackey
11 years ago

I had something mysteriously munching on my nectarines. I threw them out. Then this a.m. I saw a small chunk eaten out of one of my tomatoes. The thing is, these are on my kitchen windowsill! I saw a Katydid looking me square in the eye when I turned the faucet on to make a cup of tea. It scared the crap out of me. Then, of course, the dang thing had to jump and land on me! I let out a scream that made my DH wonder what the heck was going on. Then it jumped behind the fridge. I have set up a homemade sticky trap for it with a cherry tomato in the center for bait. I used packing tape made into a roll with the tomato in the middle. I hope to see it stuck there tomorrow a.m. I almost hate to kill it. It has such a beautiful song in the middle of the night.

Comments (17)

• User
    11 years ago

so why kill it.....for a cherry tomato plant....????? tomatoes are a dime a dozen. sounds like e.a.p. mystery....:)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Well, if it's caught in a sticky trap you'll have to kill it. I'd rather just put it outdoors, if it were me.

• slopfrog
    11 years ago

This is a cute story, but the best way to get it is to grab it with your hands. :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

If that bothers you too much, I keep a highball glass and a sheet of stiff paper for catching lizards and other critters. Put the glass over it, slide the sheet of paper under it and take it outside and let it go.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried to catch it! The darn thing is quick. It is staying behind the refrigerator. It didn't go to the bait last night. Wallisadi, the Katydid is in my house. From what I've read they are very voracious eaters in the garden. I don't like to kill anything, even outside. I just couldn't figure out how to catch it if I can't see it.

• User
    11 years ago

i cut the heads off of "lubbers" daily, it's up to you.......90 % of bugs are good.......:) love your posts............m

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wallisadi, it's in my house! It must have hitched a ride on our clothes and we didn't know it. I have no problem killing bad bugs. I know about the percentage of good vs bad,too. I've a taken a few beneficial insect classes. Now I really don't want to spray any chemicals. I've snipped my share of lubbers when I lived in Vero Beach and stomped on many of their black younguns. My chickens enjoy being fed the grasshoppers I can catch. Glad you love my posts! I try to be entertaining. Life can be a real bear somedays. A little laughter goes a long way. :-)

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Sorry I'm late to the party, use a dish towel, that's what I do to save lizards that my cat catches. Throw the towel over it, gently bunch the towel and take it outside, this will be your best bet for fairly easy success.

Happy 4th everyone, enjoy and stay safe!

Tom

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Is the green kind that resemble a leaf? I thought they were nocturnal & sluggish during daylight hours, & therefore easier to catch during the daytime....?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Yes, those usually are, but the trick is to find where they're snoozing, which isn't always easy to do.

• zzackey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is tan colored. I've only seen it one time, in the early morning. It hides behind the refrigerators or the dryer. I didn't hear it last night. I can't imagine what it is eating now to survive. I like the towel idea, Tom. Thanks! Does anyone have a natural remedy for skeeter bites? DH had a big welt on his neck from being stung by one.

• rule34
    11 years ago

Zackey, for skeeter bites--or almost any insect bite or sting--and for such things as encounters with stinging nettles, the most effective remedy is probably already in your house. It's AMMONIA--plain old ammonia, or if you don't like the smell you can use the lemon-scented variety. The principle is simple: Most toxins are acidic, and ammonia, if you remember your high school chemistry, is a base. Just pour some on a paper towel and apply liberally. It should stop the itch in a hurry!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Wounded Warrior gel is an awesome remedy for itchy bites (& many other things as well) & much better for your skin than ammonia....

• 1jeff2davis
    10 years ago

should i catch them? Are they bad for the garden? I seen 2/3 while watering tonight and just let them hop away after showing them to my 6 year old daughter. I show her every bug or frog or anything I find to let her know whats safe to touch or to stay away from..... knowledge is priceless!

• zzackey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, catch and destroy! Don't you have any big bites in your plant leaves? Those critters are voracious eaters. Mine are quite active in the day time here. I move slowly and grab their hind legs and body. My chickens fight over who gets to eat it when I drop it in their coop. The easiest way to kill them is to cut them in half with your garden shears. Otherwise if you try to step on them they might fly away. Thanks for the ammonia hint. I use that on fire ant bites with good success.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

For bug bites, we use heat. Either a hot bath, a hair dryer, or a spoon that has been resting in a mug of microwaved water. I guess the toxins that cause the itching and discomfort can't take heat. Once you heat up your bites, they stay itch-free for most of the day. And in my experience, when you re-treat a second or third time, the itch doesn't return.

I have no idea how you people can grab these huge "bugs." As I've said in other posts, I can't do it. I bought a butterfly net at Old Time Pottery and I use it to catch lubbers. Then I swing the net at a wall or fence or sidewalk, killing the lubbers on impact. Works for me!

• Chris Yera
    3 years ago

So not tryna be cool or anything but I caught one in my room with a Lysol wipe container. it’s just so I can keep it. Lol