Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinael01

granite garden path and herb garden

tinael01
11 years ago

It's been a very hot weekend....so I must be out of my mind...but this weekend I started a new bed for herbs and a new granite path. The granite I get free from the waste pile of a local shop. Things are still in progress...but here is where I am as of now:

Comments (31)

• starryrider
    11 years ago

I did that at our last house. Be careful it is slippery when wet.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

clear bathtub stickers....LOL

• irun5k
    11 years ago

Good idea and nice way to recycle something that otherwise might not find a purpose. Looking good!

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! I bricked up the herb garden. No plants yet and things are uneven and crooked as heck. I won't plant it until September and hopefully the plants will cover the flaws.

• mrs_tlc
    11 years ago

Love it Tina! Looking forward to seeing the finished product :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

That's going to look great once you get it planted!

• amberroses
    11 years ago

Goodness, someone was awful ambitious in all this heat! That should look really wonderful when it is finished.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Looks really good, Tina. Why are you waiting until Sept to plant the herbs? I grow all mine all year long, except for the cilantro, that only grows when the weather is drier.

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Looks great!

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi All!! Thanks! Hey Kathy, I just tilled a bunch of blackkow and compost in the earth there and I'd like it to meld a little before I plant. Also, I am going away for a week here and there and I don't want to worry about new plantings. Plus, I shovelled up a bunch of grass before I tilled, but there is still a neverending bunch of hidden grass roots in the tilled earth. When it starts to sprout I want to kill it with roundup without damaging plants. It's too hard to fight grass..it is so determined and the runners are so deep.

I have some seeds on the way for some unique items plus I have herbs growing all over my gardens already from ginger, turmeric, and cardamon to oregano, mint, and thyme (plus many more) and they just need to be planted. I almost can't wait for two months to pass by! But I know it is the right thing to do. I just have to hang in there!

• saldut
    11 years ago

Tina, you are one fantastic gal!! be careful w/roundup it can remain in the soil and possibly kill, for a long time.... when I dug up my new rose-bed out front, I covered the dirt w/roofing shingles and roofing paper, the heavy kind, and weighed it down w/bricks... left it on for abt. 5-6 weeks, and the grass etc. was smothered and baked to death when I took it off... after the roses were planted I put thick mulch (free from a tree-service, a whole oak tree chipped) and it has smothered any errant grass... works for me, and I use pieces of roofing to smother any weeds that appear in other parts of the garden, sure saves the back! I am amazed at what you have done! very inspiring especially in this heat.... sally

• starryrider
    11 years ago

Round Up, does not stay in the soil. It is absorbed through the foliage to kill plants. Ground Clear or an extended control product will be detrimental to future plantings but not regular Round Up.

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Wow Tina, where in the world do you get the energy to do THAT in THIS HEAT? I'm going to have to nickname you Superwoman ;-) Very nice!

Tom

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Tom...HAHA...more like Crazywoman! I get up at 6:30 and work till 8, then I shower and rest. I go out at 7pm and I work until 9, then i shower and rest. As long as I drink plenty, it's just fine at those times. Plus I don't lose the whole day on the garden. I wanted to do the herb garden now so I could have it ready for the fall season. Once I got the idea in my head I couldn't forget about it so I just gave up and went with it.

Sally - my offer to put that mulch on your roses still stands. Now that you know I'm as tough as an old boot maybe you'll take me up on it! You are my favorite great grandma in the whole world and trust me...I have the energy to move some mulch for you. I happen to be free Friday evening. You can trade me for a few more mangos. BTW we have been in Mango Heaven for two solid days. We've already gone through probably 15 mangos. :) I used a couple and made mango-papaya chutney, but the worms got most of the papayas because I didn't bag them so I didn't have enough to make but one batch. I'll bring you a jar.

Tina

• keiki
    11 years ago

I really like the herb garden, it is great! You are correct that the plants will hide any inperfections.

I spent most of Sunday removing a patch of praying hands bananas and thinning the huge patch of ice cream so I feel your pain. I work weird hours and have family obligations so I play whenever time and weather prmit. You are fortunate to do your work in the cooler hours.

The noodle beans you shared are doing so well in this heat - thanks again!

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Robin! How's your brother? I think Sally has one of your ice creams...she showed it to me. I'm gladd the noodles are okay. Did the sweets make it or do you need some more?

• jellybobelly
    11 years ago

I can't believe you did all that in JULY. I'm really impressed. And maybe I should stop complaining it's too hot to do anything outside.

I love the way you have laid it out. It is fantastic. Reminds me of those formal French gardens. I can't wait to see it full of plants.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm impressed too! HaHa...thank you for the compliments...it makes it all worthwhile.

• keiki
    11 years ago

Yes Tina the sweet potato is doing well. It is so much tamer than my vines that I have to look for it, lol. I am growing both varities in bags which is new to me and fun to experiment with.

My brother is doing a tiny bit better. Any step in the right direction is wonderful even if they are baby steps. Thanks for asking.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wonderful.....let me know how the bag works out! That sounds fun. I'm glad to hear your brother is hanging in there and hasn't taken a turn for the worst. You are so right...any step in the right direction is wonderful! I hope you can make our trip in November...I sure am looking forward to it!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Tina,

Looks great! I got some free granite, too, which I'm also using for stepping stones. I placed them all with the polished, kitchen-counter-side down. That way they look more like raw stone, making it less obvious that they are kitchen cutouts, and also not so slippery.

(The photos make them look like hunks of concrete but in real life you can see that they are granite.)

Carol

This is when I first laid them down last November.

Now they've settled in.

• saldut
    11 years ago

Thanks Tina, you are the best! The mangoes are almost finished, this has been a really strange year, there are very few left on the tree and mostly at the top... and I spotted a new 'eater' up there pecking away, a Woodpecker! there was more than one bird, couldn't believe my eyes....usually the mangoes last well into August but not this year... Cal shoveled lots of the mulch on Sun., there is no-way I'm going to get you doing that in spite of your generosity!! Terry is coming also now that the rain has let up..... I really love your herb-garden you are very creative, and your center-piece is lovely, do you plan to put water in it, or fill it w/plants? either way would be fantastic...keep us up to date w/more pics.... thanks, sally

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Sally, we just had a mango peeling marathon and put a bunch of pulp in the freezer. yum....had a nice shake out of it too! I wonder if your woodpecker was after an insect inside the fruit. We've got woody babies in our big palm....they sure are noisy!

Your boy Cal is great! I'm glad your mulch got spread. The fountain has water and a pump in it now thanks to my father in law. It's bubbling away! Still can't wait to plant....but I'm seeing several of my herbs won't do well in so much sun.....and even if I don't move everything i have overplanted the area in my head. We'll see how it turns out.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woops - I intended to reply to you too, Carol. I saw you posting on the brom forum. This spot looks ideal for a few in the tree and near the house. What a lovely spot!

• tomncath
    11 years ago

After you've been here a few years it's funny how pictures stick in your mind, but as I've told everyone, CLIP the posts you really like because traffic is so heavy here that the archives are purged regularly. Having said that St. Pete Tina's herb setup reminded me of another one I liked so well that I CLIPPED it ;-) Courtesy of another Tina ;-)

Tom

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's so cute, Tom! I'll have to remember that in case it comes in handy.

Here is the working fountain and a photo of the granite with sand. I have a long way to go with this path as it will split into two and go around the back yard and out the gate by the time I am finished. But one section at a time is all I can manage.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i369/tinael01/DSCF4412.jpg

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

woops again, did something wrong

• tomncath
    11 years ago

Very nice Tina, I can't wait to see more pictures of the progression Superwoman ;-)

Tom

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Wow, I had no idea you were headed in that direction. That looks GREAT! So much fancier than mine... i am going to need the instructions when you are done!

Carol

• tinael01
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! It's pretty simple, Carol. Measure a path (mine is 3.5' wide) Dig up the grass, level the sand/earth, put down the granite, put down paver sand in the cracks. If you have trouble leveling the ground you can put sand under the granite too and it helps.

• mrs_tlc
    11 years ago

Hi Tina! Do you have updated pictures of this?? It all looks great!