Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
staghorn......

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 16:10

photo IMG_1496_zps6e00c23f.jpg  photo IMG_1497_zpsb7cfd6e2.jpg 30 year old staghorn gone.....rain, storms, critters.......not sure, in three huge pieces now......sucks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: staghorn......

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 18:23

M, so sad about the staghorn, I remember how great it looked before.

Silvia

o

Oh Walli, I am sooooo sorry. I know that hurt to find it that way.

I know you have a way of turning lemons into lemonade... show us what you decide to do with the pieces.

Carol

o

I would tie that big boy back together!

o

I try to see these things as nature's way of dividing plants for me. Still, I feel your pain, such a beautiful old fern.

Bill

o

Hey Mark and Judy....sorry it fell but use the opportunity to divide....You KNOW I like Stags....

Sometimes the pretty chunks just "talk" to you and tell you what they "want" to be......

I like to organize the left over buds under a piece of wire fence....I stuff bark behind the plants to keep them in contact with the fencing....a new sterile frond soon consumes the wires....here's a wire pocket after about 6 months in the shade house.....

o

I was tired of all hanging plants and looked for an alternative...

These are easy to unscrew from their temporary nursery and to mount to their permanent location......I especially like how the fronds project from the fence surface

dougandpam

o

Feed those guys some banana peels.

o

doug, thanks for the advice. as of yet i just get too bummed out to do anything when i walk out there. ok for now how it's laying.

o

Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 13:40

Hi Doug and Pam

I hope everything is going well for you! Your staghorns are beautiful and the one that I got from you is very happy under the avocado tree.

photo July2014_108_zpsc8167d2d.jpg

Silvia

o

Thank You......

o

How would one grow a staghorn fern?

o

"Humpty Dumpty......:)..........finally got passed it, see what happens.

o

J had to tie them off as I held them up, poor girl got dirty and skeeter bitten and had to go to work......why I love her......puts up with me!

o

Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 17:58

M, the staghorns look good and will be happy. You and J make a very nice couple and you both like to garden, how cool is that!

Silvia

o

Walli, they look great! And to me, all three of them still look huge. :)

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here