Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing elderberry?

Posted by thonotorose FL 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 16:26

If you are, I would appreciate any tips. I know it is understory and think it may be OK with wet feet on occasion.

Any success stories would be encouraging. Money is already spent...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing elderberry?

I planted a number of elderberry bushes across the front of my property a few years ago. One side of the yard is low and can have standing water for days after heavy rains. Last summer, after especially heavy rains and hot weather, I noticed the elderberry that were in standing water were wilting and dropping their leaves. The ones on higher ground were fine. I found out (probably on this forum) that elderberry can "tolerate" wet feet, but it depends on the temperature of the standing water. The warmer the water, the less oxygen it holds, therefore if the water is especially warm, the plant will suffocate. After the yard dried up, the plants came back.

o

Thank you Echobelly. Very helpful.

Were they in sun or shade? Any special care that you needed to do.

o

I actually was just reading about someone growing them. Check out this site; he could probably really give you some great tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: elderberry in Florida

o

I've been growing for a few years. Was told that they like it damp and that they can be sort of invasive. I planted them in a dryer area thinking that would "cure" the invasive problem. Maybe it has to an extent but it still suckers some. But more to your question about shade...mine gets some but I would not say it is an understory plant for me. But then again although it blooms it holds very few berries. So it that because it is in a dry spot or because it is in a sunnier spot? Mostly I think it is a weed...I love this weed...but it can take what you give it but it might not do its best.
Anyway you have given ME something to think about :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here