Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on killing Cuban Tree Frogs?

Posted by sunshinestate zone9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 16:30

What are your thoughts on the killing of invasive Cuban Tree Frogs? Because of the destructive effects on Florida's native species, the University of Florida and Extension Services recommend that Cuban Treefrogs be captured and humanely euthanized. See link with details -
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW259

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on killing Cuban Tree Frogs?

Honestly, I think it's a bad idea. Amphibians everywhere are in decline, aren't they? I remember seeing things in magazines and on TV about populations of every kind of frog species seeming to be in trouble these days, I guess from global warming? Not sure it would be wise to "waste" the ones we have left.

o

I would not kill frogs! my opinion, the strong survive, there is nothing that can be done.
Same with lizards, I love the native green anole, but they can't survive against the cuban anole.

Evelyn

o

I have to strongly disagree with Karen and kindly show her the error in her thinking (respectfully).

As a native Floridian that grew up in North Miami, I witnessed the total destruction of native amphibians from the influx of the dreaded Sugar Cane Toads (Bufo Marinus). These "monsters" that measure up to nine inches (9 inches!) devour everything and anything in their path. They also secrete a poisonous milky substance that has killed many family pets/animals and a few stupid dopers that ate it in an attempt to get high. (No lie)

Invasive Cuban tree frogs threaten native wildlife, and their skin is coated with a secretion that is toxic to humans (in your eyes, mouth, and nose). I kill 'em by the dozens. They, like their BIG cousins before them, eat native frogs and other amphibians and do a greater damage than most of (us) think. In my neighborhood it's a constant battle fighting these nasty frogs. Nasty in the sense of what they are doing to our already damaged environment - and what they leave behind - they crap all over the place which stains plastic and mortar and is difficult to remove.

Karen: It's not a "waste" to dispatch them quickly when they are INVASIVE and destroying natives. Let me use the Brazilian Pepper (Florida Holly) with your thinking (if I may). Trees absorb carbon dioxide and help with erosion. So, if any tree is good for the environment (frogs too) you should plant more Brazilian Peppers/ Melaleucas/ whatever.

Death to Tree Frogs and all other invasives! (Tourists and Yankees NOT included) Smiling.

o

sunshinestate,

are they in your area?

o

Yup, we have them in downtown "O." They're the only tree frogs that we see any more. How about you and MB?

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 18:41

When we first moved in I had almost no lizzards at all, and dirty stains all over the outside of my house. I learned that the Cuban frogs were bad and started having my husband (I can't do it) kill them. My house stains disappeared and now I have lots of GREEN lizzards and others all over. I vote to kill them. :o)

o

how do you kill the cuban tree frogs?

o

I couldn't do it for a million bucks.....My husband follows the recommended, humane method (i.e., An oral anesthetic gel with Benzocaine will put the frog to sleep. Then, it's put in the freezer).

o

sunshinestate,

how does your husband catch em to put the anesthetic on the frogs gumms?

o

YIKES...Frozen Frog Legs Batman!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
RE:: Thoughts on killing Cuban Tree Frogs?

Katkin,

I have sliding dark tinted windows on my back porch and the darn frogs used to sit at the top and think these were their own personal outhouse. I would usually have to hose the windows every morning. One weekend we werent home and I didnt wash the crap off and it actually etched the window beyond cleaning.

I think they should all be sent back to cuba.

o

I have green and brown anoles as well as skinks.Cuban tree frogs and Florida frogs and toads a plenty . Several BIG black snakes! I couldnt kill any of em.
I poured salt on a slug and felt guilty for three days!
However if I find a Bufo its into the freezer,cant take any chances with my furbabies.

o

I've found the best way to dispatch them to Frog Heaven is to gather them up in a five-gallon bucket with a lid and when it's full enough with frogs, pour 1/2 cup of clorox bleach into the bucket. They die instantly, I dump the entire mixture into a bag and throw it all away in the garbage. The clorox keeps the bucket from smelling. It's quick and painless!

o

If you are killing frogs, don't complain about the mosquitoes, moths and flies! They consume huge amounts of insects. Sure they poop, but so does everything else. The world is one huge potty! Are we going to start shooting birds that decorate our cars next? Nearly everything is *washable.*

Heck, my chickens poop on my expensive patio, but I sure don't get rid of them, I just wash it off.

It never crossed my mind to kill frogs, or toads. Both are useful in the garden, don't bite, my dogs ignore them, and we sure don't lick them to get high, so they are harmless to us.

Now, squirrels and stinkbugs are another matter entirely(G).

And I do erradicate all Brazilian Pepper plants-that the birds bring by the millions! I guess I should shoot the Robins that eat them and spread them? No!

I guess each of us has his or her own demons(G).

Lisa

o
One Big Potty?

The world is one big potty, oh nevermind!

o

You guys are cruel. Killing and deporting illegal critter immigrants , Just kidding!
I'm joking. Please don't hang me.
Seriously now, I believe that I have seen one at my daughter's
house. I have also seen stains on the outside walls. I did not know that they stain. She lives in Belleview. I wonder how far north they will eventually trouble?
Felix

o

tampaart - You said it all!! LOL!!! A BIG potty, indeed!

We get the cubanos up in our entryway and they make a mess of the threshhold, poopies everywhere. I have never killed one, they are too far outta reach. But art, ya got a point about them destroying other natural native critters. If I drove over one I would not feel bad.

o

how do you tell the difference between a florida and a cuban tree frog??
we have em by the loads around here and I know we have 2 diff kinds cause I've seen 2 diff kinds.

that UF website didnt have any comparison pics

o

I'm afraid I'm on the no kill side of this fence too.
As long as we as humans must continue to destroy the native habitat that was Florida, that used to support native species, replacing vast areas with imported plants, non native lawns, irrigation, asphalt and concrete, it doesn't surprise me at all that non native and more aggressive species will move in.
Survival of the fittest.
We haven't been able to eradicate Brazilian pepper, maleluca, Australian pine, and we even imported hundreds of thousands of those darn carrotwoods after the '89 freeze.
So I've chosen to live with the brown and Knight anoles, curly tail lizards, and the Cuban treefrogs, and soon to come iguanas, even though I might prefer they weren't here.
I even enjoyed the shade of Australian pines near the beach and inlet, before they replaced them with native shrubbery.

o

Hmmmm...maybe I'm cruel? I don't know, but I'm with Tampaart on this one. I purely DETEST Cuban treefrogs. Not only are they invasive and deadly to our beautiful native green treefrogs, but they are disgusting to look at, as well. Big, bloated and pasty-white things. I have no trouble killing them at all. And the first year we were here, I killed LOTS of them. (Don't even ask me how.) Now, I'm starting to see more toads and even a few green treefrogs now and then.

Will it stop the invasion? Probably not, darn it. But it WILL help in my own yard, and that's all I can do. Yes, frogs eat insects and are very beneficial to the garden, but a species as destructive and invasive as Cuban treefrogs ought to be dispatched, in my opinion, so I dispatch 'em. With extreme prejudice. I LOVE my native anoles and frogs and want them to have a fighting chance. Until the native species are totally gone, I'll work on their side, even if it's just a drop in the conservation bucket.

I know others might not agree, and I know it might be merely "tilting at windmills" in the grand scheme of things that we have messed up on this planet. But ya gotta do whatcha think is right, right? Right! No matter which way you see it.

Marcia (now if I could just get up the nerve to kill the two really cute geckos that are around my light at night. They are probably chasing off treefrogs, too...but I just LOVE them, for some totally illogical reason. Hey...I never claimed to make any sense!)

o

Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 5:33

Cuban tree frogs have a big "thumb" toe pad. That's how you know it's them for sure.

I never kill any of the other frogs or lizzards and since the amount of Cuban's on my property is minimal the others have expanded. I see lots of greenies, on my patio and in the bushes. IMO Marcia is right, in the big picture I am not changing much, but I do what I can. I don't feel they are useful like say chickens, since something native will do what they do, if given a chance to repopulate, so I don't need their crap all over my walls. Which BTW doesn't just hose off, it actually stains. :o) Plus they make a terrible racket at night, I love the night sounds usually, but there noise grates on my ears.

o

I am with tapaart and manature on this one.

o

I couldn't pith the frog's in my Comparative Physiology class in college. I couldn't kill one now. They'll live in my yard. I hate killing the snails but I'll put down the poison for them. Chris just slams them up against the side of the house. It's hard to kill the daddy long legs that hang out in my bathroom but sometimes I'll wash them down the shower if they are in the shower.

o

I have only 1 Cuban frog and about a dozen green frogs that live on my lanai. I would NEVER kill any frog!! There is no reason for such cruelty.

o

This guy was almost mocking for a time. Very elusive! He was finally disposed of this week. I worry that all the tadpoles in pond right now are his mini me's.

o

Actually, there ARE reasons, Perrisquirrel, and they are listed above. You have a right not to agree with them, but please don't imply those of us who get rid of the Cubans are doing it for no reason. I would NEVER kill anything without a darn good (in MY opinion) reason. I wouldn't even kill lubber grasshoppers without a reason. Or fire ants. But there are some things, especially invasive, destructive that give us reasons to at least try to control their populations. And for me, personally, Cuban treefrogs are one of those things. I fully understand that not everyone wants to kill them or agrees with me on the issue, but please don't say there is "no reason" behind my position. That's just insulting.

Marcia

o

The water snakes that live in my pond have decided that cuban tree frogs are yummy, which is fine with me. I like all frogs but not those and I am so glad they are being eaten. I couldn't kill them though, so I am glad my "hitmen" are taking them out.

o
Zozzl

Good approach,zozzl! When I get my pond in, I'm going to wish for water snakes, too! Probably won't get them where I live, but I can hope! In the meantime, I believe my large black racers are eating them, as well. Yay!! Their numbers are definitely down this year!

Marcia

o

Yay!
I'm all for natural controls.
Glad to hear the snakes like 'em.
During our rainy week a couple weeks ago I kept dumping out water buckets every day. As soon as it would rain there were eggs everywhere. I assume they were Cuban frogs, cuz that's all I have around here. So there, I've been doing my part.
The main reason I don't kill the adult frogs is that I'd be the only one within miles killing them, which seems rather pointless to me. And certainly not a pleasant task.

o

I can't kill them either just because I get sick thinking about it. I have finally gotten up courage to kill the few snails I find and I do try to discourage the fireants, but that is about as far as I can go to control pests. I know my garden is probably overridden with critters and insects that are not welcome in most gardens, but we have learned to get along. I still have quite a few green anoles, but I can't say the same for the native treefrogs. I'm sorry the cuban frogs are here, but I just can't bring myself to kill them. I do understand other people's views though and I know I would have a much cleaner house if I didn't have them.

I'm looking out the window now watching a cardinal on the birdfeeder and a squirrel on the ground eating whatever comes out of the feeders. They finally gave up trying to climb the shepherd hook poles after a few comical rounds with the vaselined pole.

Ginny

o

Not a problem with me, Treefrog. I know not everyone wants to kill them. Some folks can't even kill the wretched ol' lubbers. And you're right. It's not a pleasant thing to do. But we don't have nearly as many up here (YET!) as south Florida does, and you really can cut down the number in your own yard, if you work at it. Of course, as they continue to spread and spread, it will become a lost cause, I'm sure. But until then...I'm doin' my part. I just LOVE our native green treefrog, and want them back again!

Here's why...how can you NOT love this dainty and colorful little fellow?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And for comparison, here's a typical Cuban treefrog. The color IS variable, but this is what mine usually look like. And they get HUGE...like 5" long, and very fat. From eating every frog, lizard and baby bird they can cram in their mouths. *shudder*

I was just on another environmental website that talks at length about how destructive they are and what a terrible toll their presence is taking on Florida wildlife. Oh, if ONLY we were better stewards of our planet!

Anyway, Treefrog, I fully understand your position, and feel confident you understand mine. And I love your cute little namesake!

Marcia

o

Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 14:08

Here's the funny thing with me, I can't bring myself to kill them either so I make Ralph do it. LOL

o

i come down hard on the kill 'em side. quite a few of them have met their makers on my patio (with the help of gravity). i feel no compunction killing this...

leaving aside for a moment the question of frogicide, did anyone notice this very cool idea from the UF bulletin? Frog houses made of PVC pipe:

Another way to capture Cuban Treefrogs in order to eliminate them from your property is to attract the frogs to hiding places where they can be easily captured and removed. To do this, simply place short sections of PVC pipe in the ground around your home and garden ( Figure 9 ; cut 1 in. diameter PVC into approx 3 ft. long sections). Cuban Treefrogs, and hopefully native treefrogs too, will show up in the pipes in as little as a few days, depending on the weather and the density of frogs in your immediate area. In some situations it may take several weeks for frogs to find the pipes. To remove a frog from a pipe, simply pull the pipe from the ground and place a clear sandwich-bag over one end. Insert a broom handle or other "plunger" device in the other end and scare the frog into the sandwich bag. Once in the bag the frog can be examined closer to ensure that is an invasive Cuban Treefrog, and not a native species. Euthanize Cuban Treefrogs as described below and release native frogs back into the pipe. PCV pipes also provide great artificial habitats for native treefrogs and can help enhance the wildlife value of your garden. For more details on using PVC pipes to provide habitat for native treefrogs see the forthcoming University of Florida/IFAS fact sheet on attracting treefrogs to your Florida friendly yard by Dr. Steve Johnson

anyone done this? if you painted them brown or green, you could work them into the backs of beds and even use them as plant supports.

o

What's the diameter of that pipe, Ill? DUH...nevermind. I read the handy attached article!! I think that's a way cool idea! I've done toad abodes from broken pots, but never tried this. I'm definitely going to try it. It will help me get an idea of how many frogs of both species I might have on the property.

I noticed tadpoles in my washtub water garden the other day, and don't know which kind they are. Have been trying to see them develop, but they are hard to spot.

And the picture you posted says it ALL!! I could be wrong, but that sure looks like a native green treefrog going to that Big Pond In The Sky! Grrrrrrrrrrr......

Marcia

o

With very much interest I read all your comments and I am starting to be convinced to kill the cuban frogs.
If so, it is going to be me having to do the killing, since my DH could nevernevernever kill anything. He has nightmares if he by accident runs over a lizard.... now, the bleach method I can't do, bleach burns. stomping, throwing them on the ground, cutting them up or biting the head off won't work for me either. So the best way is to scoop them into a plastic bag and stick them in the freezer? ( they won't wake up later with freezer burns, i hope)

Evelyn (going to be mass murderer soon)

o

Since you don't have the killer instinct, this may make the job easier - When you scoop it into a bag, put a dab of Anbesol (or some other oral gel) on its back. After fifteen minutes, it'll knock the frog out. Then pop the bag in the freezer for a day. This is the UF recommended, and most humane method. Best of luck in your endeavors to help Florida's native species.

o

the pipe thing is genious
ill set some up this weekend, I wanna see how many of these suckers we have going around
after reading the initial post last night i spent over an hr reasearching this online.

The UF site says that the surefire way to tell a cuban from a floridian- tree frog that is- is that the skin on the cuban frog's head is fused to the skull bone, so if u try to pick up the skin- like when u pich the skin on the back of ur hand, it wont go anywhere, florida frogs youll be able to pinch the skin off the bone.

also cuban frogs have blue bones, which are easiest to spot on their hind legs, and none of the native Florida frogs do.
that might make it easier to tell if their sticking to the window pane.

the other day I found the absolute cutest little frog- the size of a dime, on one of my plumie seedlings, I think it had the black outline on the white stripe but I don't remember, now I wish I had photographed it.

o

I've seen one cuban tree frog on my porch. I moved a pot and it jumped out at me. It was big. Bigger than I thought they'd be. I was mortified. But I can't do it!!! Aaaack!!! It's taken me 8 years to FINALLY start killing the baby lubbers. I felt really bad about it, too. Watching them struggle to their deaths in a bucket of soapy water. I slipped on a slug the other day... felt terrible about it. It was dark, and you now how slugs are. They just can't seem to get out of the way quickly enough...

Marcia. Please come to my house and do the dirty deed... Ill-Mannered? Someone?

I thought the darn thing was cute. Big eyes. Looking at me. Smoking his little cigar. I hope my garden snakes find him and eat him up until I can work up the courage.

o

Hehehehe...you are so funny, Nicki! I'll come to your house and rub 'em out for ya! I'll bring tiny little amphibious weapons! Or wee little darts to knock them senseless (hopefully in time to pull the native frogs and baby birds outta their mouths before they finish swallowing them!) and then I'll dispatch them. With extreme prejudice. And I will feel like I'm saving little green treefrogs and anoles and other critters that belong here while I'm doing it. That's the secret, you know. You don't think about the Cuban treefrog you are sending to his great reward. You think about the many, MANY innocent GREEN treefrogs you are saving.

Cute, Schmute! The little blighters gotta GO! Save our OWN treefrogs, and give these guys tickets back to Cuba, where they belong and probably cause NO problems at all.

Marcia

o

Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 9:26

I seem to remember reading somewhere, of course I can't find it now, that the Cuban's don't really eat that many bugs anyway. Do to their size they prefer bigger prey like lizzards and other frogs.

o

And baby birds! Don't forget those! ACK! But I do think lizards and other frogs are their mainstay, rather than insects. Having said that, I watched one leap six feet from the side of my shed to try to catch a hummingbird moth in mid-air. It missed, fell to the ground, and was dispatched, posthaste by myself. If it could catch one, it would probably do the same thing to a REAL hummingbird! When they get large, they look like they could eat puppies, kittens, and small children!!

Marcia

o

Sat, Jul 21, 07 at 11:16

I bet they could. lol lol

o

So what do you do with them once they're frozen? Put them in the trash? They can't revive after freezing, can they? Some amphibians do have that ability.
There have been a couple of these by my house, but I'm still not sure I could bring myself to slay them. Maybe I could just hire a sniper to take them out. Some of them are huge. I almost stepped on one that looked like a cane toad at first until I saw the foot pads.

o
want ad

WANTED: Invasive Frog Killer. Must have strong constitution and desire to rid this Great State of foreign invaders. Knowledge of weaponery and cryogenics helpful!
Salary: Clippings or fresh fruit/veggies or maybe a kind word or two.

Ahhhh, where do I apply (Devilish Grin)

o

No, no, Tampaart! Take me, take MEEEEE! I wanna be the Invasive Frog Killer! *strapping on amphibious weapons as I type* Forget the cryogenics. I'll blast 'em into the stratosphere! But about that salary.....a dollar amount would be nice. Then I could buy my OWN fruits and veggies!

*goes off, polishing and sharpening various bits of weaponry, and putting Coleus Crown on the shelf for awhile*

Marcia

o

Where I live, we have some Cuban tree frogs, but mostly Barking tree frogs. When I had tropical fish tanks on my shaded patio, I would find eggs and tadpoles throughout the summer. BTW fish love the tadpoles and grow very well on them. I let some grow up and they were the barking tree frogs. I have only seen 1 green frog in 5 years and DH saw a green anole once, but we have OODLES of brown anoles.
The brown anoles (several species) are not native and where they proliferate, native green ones tend to disappear.
Personally, I can't kill frogs or lizards.
Jo

o

Marcia and ill, thanks for the pics. Is the body 5" or over all (legs and all). To me, they look like toads except for the feet. Reason I ask is I had a 'toad' on my windshield a couple of months ago - only 'toad' I've seen and shooed him off. Never seen again. Didn't look at his feet. Want to make sure of my 'target' to reduce collateral damage. Treefrog population seems down but I thought it was due to drought. Lizards, both brown and green anoles seem to be doing fine.

Tampaart - my military instructors must have overlooked the cryogenics part but weaponry, both close and long range and improvised were fully covered.

o

Lakeron, I can't imagine a real toad gettin up on your windshield. They hop, but not very far and not very high. They are rather clumsy and slow, and I've never seen one anywhere near as large as some Cuban treefrogs. (This isn't counting those big invasive poison ones in the south part of the state...Cane toads, I think they're called?) But our regular bufo's don't get huge like that.

My suspicion would be that you had a Cuban treefrog on your car, though, of course, I don't know for sure without having seen it.

The skin on the treefrogs is not quite so warty looking as a toad, though it isn't smooth like a green treefrog, either. It's kind of in between. Here is a good picture of a southern toad (bufo terrestris) for you:

Toads are very beneficial (native ones, anyway) and you can tell by the southern toad's Latin name, it is a ground dwelling little guy.

Hope this helps!
Marcia

o

Is this a Cuban Tree Frog?

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1821/9103671/16770325/267103768.jpg

Cheers!
Heather W

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Frog

o

That looks like the cute demon, Heather.
Now off with his head!

o

Yep, Treefrog is right about the treefrog being a...treefrog. Huh??? Seriously, that is definitely one of the invasive Cuban treefrogs, Heather. Tell him Hasta la vista, baby!

Marcia

o

Yeppers that's one of the soon-to-be-departed amphibians.

Lakeron, if I told you about my Navy training and cryogenics black-ops I'd have to kill ya! You know how us Navy Chiefs are!

Wanna borrow my sharpening stone?

o

OK; thank you for the feedback. I'd feel awful if I hastened the departure of a good frog or toad. I hate the idea of killing, but I think that I could probably bring myself to do it to one of these guys. The death with anaesthesia seems like a decent way to go.

Cheers!
Heather W

Here is a link that might be useful: Our ICF Home Construction Journal

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 18:40

The main point is that Cuban Frogs are about 5-0-0 NPK when worked into the soil. Do it about every 6 weeks during the growing season.

Gary

o

Hahahahahaa...love it!!

Marcia

o

Just slap it with a shovel and move on !

o

LOL, I've dispatched a few Cuban Treefrogs and used them to fertilize my banana plant. It is a gruesome job, but knowing that they're devastating our native frog population makes it easier.

The ones I've managed to catch are usually found under the cushions of the patio furniture, or sometimes under the cover of the hottub.

There's one that hangs out near my bedroom window at night making an awful racket. I'll definitely try out the PVC pipe to try and get that one.

o

that was very funny, gary.

just last night i had a bunch of friends over and i fried up frog legs and catfish (and green tomatoes... and stewed southern peas with pickled peppers... and coconut cake... mmmmmmmm....).

i love frog legs. my wife cannot bear to eat them. too, well, froggy and leggy.

but gary's pragmatism makes me wonder what those cuban tree frogs would taste like? smoky? like pork and pickles?

hmmmm...

i think i've been about this whole froggy dispatching thing the wrong way. not the freezer, but the fryer...

o

Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 6:27

Fried green tomatoes and you didn't invite me, boo hoo. They are one of my all time favorite foods. ;o)

o

Maybe I'll have to serve fried green tomatoes at the Tampa swap at my house Sept 1st. Hmmmmm grow babies - grow!

o

Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 7:31

Illmannered - they taste like....Chicken! Obviously Cuban ones better served with black beans, perhaps Mojo sauce.

Gary

o

I agree with everyone about the necessity of killing the Cuban tree frogs, it's preserving the balance of nature. We're at the top of the food chain (or so we like to think) so it's our responsibility. However, after saying that, eewwww, don't think I could do it except for something where I didn't have to touch them. I'd be happy to call a professional toad dispatcher in though.

Or does wet-foot, dry-foot apply to the Cuban toads? Can we call the Coast Guard? Border patrol?

Suzanne

o

I have seen the effects of the cuban treefrogs on the native green and barking treefrogs we used to have in our area. I say used to, because as the cuban treefrog population increased, we now very seldom see a green treefrog, and I haven't seen a barking in about 2 years. I kill them when I find them around my doorway in the mornings, but as far as waging an all out war on them, I have often wondered what's the point? The nieghbor's yards have plenty that will just move back in, and the native guys are pretty much gone anyway. So I have actually wondered if getting rid of all the invasive frogs would just result in more insects and mosquitoes. It's a tough call. But I do miss hearing the native frogs singing at night during a rain with their bell like calls.
Dave

o

Professional Toad Dispatcher at your service, Suzanne! Have shovel, will travel! Dig the burial (fertilization?) trench deep, and water 'em in well afterward!

*theme music from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly playing here*

Marcia (Seriously, sorry I'm too far away to be of much help. I'd gladly lend a hand, otherwise.)

o

Being a native Floridian and a biologist, I emphatically support "eliminating" cuban tree frogs when found. Just be sure you are killing the exotics - easiest ways to distinguish? Cubans are fat and stocky with warty/rough skin while the native frogs are smooth and more elongated with a more pointed snout.

Just the fact that they eat native species (even baby birds and squirrels) is enough for me to chuck'em in the freezer. This spring I got an explosion of these exotics in my side yard. I am certain they came in on tropicals my neighbor brought up from south Florida. And the pond he installed (but isn't maintaining) has further substantiated the invasion.

As others have posted, Florida has been consumed by exotics to the point the native species are being threatened. Do your part - eradicate the exotics and provide shelter and food sources for their predators!

o

Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 6:48

As stated early, the Cuban's don't eat many bugs, they like bigger prey, lizzards, toads, and as Marcia said baby birds. So killing them might actually decrease the bugs, when the natives can take over again and do their jobs.

It is a hard for us who garden to do this, I think because we are used to nurturing not destroying. But think of it insead as protecting something we love, our native wildlife. ;o)

o

I left work last night about 9PM to drive the 8 miles home. Much to my surprise there was a small treefrog (I think he was Cuban, although he didn't speak to me!) attached to my drivers side window. He kept looking in at me and I kept telling him he should jump off at the next light. LOL He hung on up over the bridge at 50mph. He jumped to another place on the window, I could hear the suction cups on his feet attach to the window, they sounded pretty powerful. I don't know when he jumped off but by the time I got home he was gone.

I've pretty much ignored the ones in my yard, but I will be on the look out for them. I've saved a spot in the freezer.

o

Here's how I think of it, honestly...I don't have a problem in the world killing a roach, and I doubt if many of you do. I just think of Cuban treefrogs as being amphibious roaches. If they actually belonged here and weren't killing our native species, I'd overlook how truly ugly they get. (Ugly has its place in the scheme of things, too.) But they don't.

As unpalatable as it might be to some, they really should be considered pests, and eradicated whenever possible. No, I don't actually tie them up in little chairs and torture them to death slowly (tempted as I might be at times), but I DO dispatch them as quickly and painlessly as possible. They die instantly. And I'm not seeing anywhere near as many of them in my yard as I did before. Whether it is due to my own diligence, or that of the black racers, I'm not sure. (Does anyone know if they will eat the Cubans?)

Marcia

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 14:27

Funny...but when I lived here on the Island some 30 years ago, I don't remember ever seeing a CTF.
Since I have moved back home here 2 years ago, I see and hear them every day!
I have seen NO native frogs since, though.
I do my part as best I can.
I've got an abundance of space in my freezer...and it's designated to the CTF...;)

Once, a few days after moving into this house, I lifted the lid of our MB toilet to scrub the bowl.
I thought; "The previous owners could have certainly scrubbed the toilet upon moving out! Sheesh!"

Turns out...a HUGE CTF was clinging for life (HA!!!) under the lip of the bowl.
I flushed...and flushed...and flushed some more, but he stayed put! Grrrr!
I made a bee-line to the kitchen, retreiving a large gallon-size ziplock bag and headed back to the bathroom.
After a LOT of coaxing, it jumped into the bag.
Off to the freezer we went!

*since then, my husband has covered the top of the vent pipe with screening.
End of story.
:)

o

Lellie, you are right that you wouldn't have seen them 30 years ago. I don't believe they were a problem at that time. Even ten years ago, I had never seen one in this area. They are getting worse with every year. An abundance of food and apparently a lack of serious predators are making Florida a real paradise for them.

So sad.

Marcia

o

See below for a very good "non-technical" article about this threat to our native froggies, hatchlings, baby squirrels, etc.

According to an website that describes how to care for one as a pet (yep, there are weird people out there), it stated that "they will eat anything that moves and can fit into their mouth". Fortunately the website emphasized the danger in releasing these exotics into the wild.

Here is a link that might be useful: The frog that ate Florida - literally.

o

Excellent article, roses, and one that states the case perfectly. Anyone who reads this article should realize what a terrible problem these frogs are. It makes me sad to think of how many beautiful green tree frogs have been crammed into their gluttonous mouths!

Marcia

o

• Posted by pea_ z10 fla (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 12, 07 at 23:19

So you think if maybe I did live captures I could take them to the extention office and they'd dispatch them? I can't, I just can't, I think they are cute and generally talk to them when I see them hanging around..."hello, mister frog how's your evening?"

Last night there was a black racer resting in the underside braces of my window awning and 2 very scared looking frog(cubans perhaps) watching him from the window.

We once had a can toad living on our utility room window sill, when we trimmed the bush shading the sill I never saw him or any other again.

p

o

Oh my! I've dispatched my first Cuban Treefrog to the great beyond! What an influence this board has been on me! I was taking out the trash and noticed a rather large CTF hanging out above my trash cans. I knew instantly that it was him...giant, oversized toe pads, pasty coloring, obnoxiously large for a treefrog. As I had an extra plastic bag in hand, I just instinctively used it as a glove and reached up and snagged him.

Then I thought to myself, "I'll just have to carry him around for a few minutes while I finish these things outside. Then I'll go in and put the anbesol on him and put him in the freezer. I can do this."

So, here I am walking around the yard with this plastic bag of frog in hand, putting stuff in my compost pile, checking out what the excessive rain was doing to my potted plants, etc., when I hear him start to scream! YES HE WAS SCREAMING!

I didn't think that he'd hold still long enough for me to put some anbesol on him to put him to sleep, plus I didn't think I'd be able to stand the screaming until I got him all the way into and through the house to where I keep the stuff. Once again instinct kicked in. Let's just all remember that line from Alice in Wonderland..."Off with their heads!"

I'm turning into my mother. Have shovel, will murder. Cuban treefrogs, that is.

o

good job nativemel

o

*applause, here* Great work, nativemel! Yes, they can make a loud noise that some think sounds like a kitten meowing in distress. I saw a report on tv once about how these kittens were trapped in a pipe in the wall, and the meowing was pitiful, so the fire department came out, hacked a hole in the wall of the house, and when they got into the pipe to rescue the kittens, all they found was a very surprised Cuban Treefrog!

I'm glad you were strong and refused to listen to him. Otherwise, the next loud noise you might have heard could have been a lovely native green treefrog shrieking as the CTF swallowed him. Or a baby bird, etc, etc, etc.

You did the right thing.

Marcia (who knows that often, if not MOST, of the time, the right thing is the harder choice.)

o

I think they should be imported to their natural habit of left alone. Killing them so that you can have a perfect garden, or clean siding on your house isn't very compassionate, and frogs are already in a lot of trouble because of us

o

I think i have them hiding in my storm shutters. They enjoy crapping all over my bright yellow house, so last week i had a chat with them. Told them cut the crap or you'll be playing on the interstate system next time. No crap for now, but we will see. I have about 4 plump ones, but i still have tons of lizards running in the yard! But no bugs

o

finn36organic, I would be DELIGHTED to have them DEported back to their natural habitat. It's CUBA, by the way. Do you know how we can get them BACK there before they do any farther damage to our native species?

Nobody on this forum is killing them to have a perfect garden. We are killing them to save the lives of the native green treefrogs which they have almost wiped out in many parts of the state. Plus they eat our native green anole, which is fast disappearing as well. Plus they eat baby birds, other reptiles, and probably small children.

They are a terrible environmental problem of our own making, so I figure it is up to us to try to sort it out, before our native treefrogs become extinct.

Cuban treefrogs do NOT have a natural environment in Florida. They don't belong here, period.

There is no easy solution to the Cuban Treefrog invasion, but leaving them alone is not a good answer. If I sound stern, it is because this is a very frustrating issue that drives many of us crazy.

Marcia

o

Personally, I have no remorse for killing the CTF. I'm doing it to save the native species certainly not for a perfect garden or a clean looking house. Nothing anyone says will change my feelings about it. Even if someone came back with solid research saying that CTF's really don't do all those horrible things (that we all know they really do), I STILL wouldn't feel guilty about the one I've done in. Think of me what you want, I don't care. I've got a bigger, better shovel and am already making plans to use that next time.

:) Wishing you all a CTF free day!

o

Way to go, nativemel!

Marcia

o

I've seen the black snakes going after tree frogs and they are a good non-poisonous snake to keep around your property.

o

Black racers are among my very favorite snakes, and I encourage anyone who has found one in their garden to treat it with admiration and care. They eat LOTS of noxious critters! Between my three black racers and my own diligence, I've just about gotten rid of the Cuban treefrogs on my property. For now. The sad thing is, I haven't seen my black racers in several months, either...which I attribute to neighbors who think the way to deal with any snake is to find a big shovel.

Marcia

o

Thu, Feb 14, 08 at 6:58

I still see black racers regularly. I admit I have a cuban TF who sleeps by day above my front door, and I give him a pet every once in a while on my way in. He's a big boy.

Gary

o

Cuban Tree Frog number two was captured and eliminated last night. I'm so upset, because we've been at our house in Clermont (Green Swamp area) since September and yesterday was the first time I've seen Cuban Tree Frogs on our property (the first one I got was at our apartment in Kissimmee, where we had NO native tree frogs left). The one I got last night was a medium-sized guy, maybe 1 3/4"-2" body length. Which makes me think there are probably many more that I now have to find & remove as humanely as possible. We've got a nice population of native tree frogs, and I'd hate to see them wiped out by the Cuban monsters.

Cheers!
Heather W

o

I swear I'm going to get a t-shirt made with "Kill the Invaders" and a picture of a hideous, bloated Cuban treefrog with half a baby bird sticking out of his mouth on it!

Gary, I love ya man, but I implore you to "pat" your Cuban treefrog with a BIG STICK. They are a curse upon the land!!

Marcia

o

Marcia, I will buy one from ya LOL !

o
black racers and pond and fish tank

Hi I've never belonged to a "board" before. I hope this works.
We've lived in western Orlando, for three years. Technically, Clarcona-Ocoee area. I've got one of those small black round tub ponds (maybe 25 gallons) and someone gave me two turtles (red-eared sliders). I know they're invasive, and illegal to release, breed, etc. in Florida since 2007. BUT my "pond" is inside our screen room/lanai. Usually I keep turtles in a tank indoors. But I thought they'd like to be outdoors for the summer. One's 1 1/2", the other about 3" across. The only large predators that come inside the screen room are black racers and yellow rat snakes. Would they go "fishing" in this small pond, either for a turtle, or a fish? Also, what if I move our fish tank outdoors for the summer (while we do some interior renovations)? Will a snake climb up and go fishing in a 20- or 30-gallon tank?

I have to say, last year we had a beautiful little mouse up in the ligustrums by the Florida room window. Huge eyes and ears, I think it was a Gopher Mouse. Darn if the big black racer didn't climb the ligustrums all the way up into the rain gutters, and then, when the mouse spooked and bolted down out of the tree, the black racer followed it, like a bolt of lightning. We never saw the mouse again, and I assume the snake got it.

o

Hi former!Welcome. May I suggest that you post this question
on a new thread. You will likely receive more input. Just go
to the top of the florida page,underneath the green top where it reads "post a message".
Felix

o

Generally speaking, neither black racers nor yellow rat snakes are fish eaters, but I don't know if they would try for a small turtle or not. I'm guessing NOT. The racers eat lizards, mice, invertebrates (larger bugs), small birds or hatchlings. Yellow rats snakes can handle larger prey, but I've never seen one fishing. Frogs, birds, rats, etc, are more common prey for them. Perhaps our resident herper, Wayne, might see this and offer a more complete view, but on the whole, I don't think your fish will be threated by them, and probably not the turtles. They never bothered any fish in MY ponds, though they hung around the edges, hoping to catch lizards and rodents that stopped by for a drink.

Feel free to start a new thread on this subject if you want more opinions. Like Felix said, it might get seen by more people. And welcome to the group!

Marcia

o

When we describe cuban tree frogs. It sounds like a desription of humans. We mess up the environment and we are hell on the other species. Maybe we should be put in a bucket and have clorox poured on us. I hear that it's quick and painless.

o

you try it first, dude.

o

Froghab, I agree that it does sound like some humans, and quite honestly, I believe it is because of humans that we have the Cuban treefrog problem in Florida today. Therefore, it is incumbant upon us to at least try to FIX what we probably inadvertently caused. (Unlike many other exotic species abounding in our state, I don't think we brought CTF's here on purpose, but surely they came into the state due to some type of human activity.)

But now that you have suggested it, I MIGHT be willing to pour Clorox over those who CAUSED this problem. *pondering, here*
Marcia

o

Sunday I found one I've been hunting for awhile. I was on the back porch looking at the sunset, & he made the fatal mistake of croaking. It was climbing on a house plant, so I took plant & frog out in the yard & hollered for DH. He got a 410 shotgun, & no more CTF. It was quick & humane. Frog didn't know what hit him. Now my lizards can safely come back to the porch, until the next CTF decides to invade their little kindom.

o

WOW...you are SERIOUS about this issue, jollyjp! A shotgun, huh? That's a new one on me. Myself, I just go all Soprano and WHACK 'em!

But whatever works, I guess.

Marcia

o

Yeah, Marcia, I'm serious alright.
I found one in a Christmas cactus a couple weeks ago, & dumped it out in the middle of the yard. When DH got home, I told him & he went out & stomped it as hard as he could, & it hopped back toward the house into the shrubs. Neither one of us could catch it -Long long legs that sucker had! So DH swore the next one would get the shotgun. LOL

o

so you are all just as serious about killing the cuban anole? this one is killing off our green anole, yes?

o

Marcia and others, you give Human activities far too much credit in affecting life on our planet. It is true that in 1962, when I left Cuba, I brought over a suit case of my
collection of frogs. You can't fault me after all I was doing
what any eleven year old would do. I also brought two anoles
in my pockets. The rest,like solar flares,earth quakes,shifting of the planet's poles and plates,causing
allot of species going extinct,I'm not responsible.
Now in reference to warming of the planet,that is just a bunch of hot air. I have been educated by Rush Limbau,
I'm one of his disciples, I know what I'm talking about.
Felix

o

Felix, Felix, Felix! What are we gonna do with YOU!!

Seriously, I know that we can't always undo the damage we've done...but sometimes we CAN. Look at the bald eagle. In grave peril just a few decades ago, along with the osprey, strictly because of our persistent use of DDT. Once we banned that and offered them some real protection, they rebounded, and just in the nick of time. Sometimes all is not lost, and we CAN make a difference.

Evelyn, from what I'm reading, the Cuban Treefrog is a far bigger threat to our anoles than the brown anole. The Carolina (green) anole is apparently learning to compete with the brown, and they are beginning to come back in areas where the brown anoles were once displacing them. The same thing can't be said for areas where Cuban Treefrogs proliferate. They can't win against them.

And not only the Carolina anoles, but our own native green treefrogs have been completely displaced by them, and are disappearing rapidly. As the CTF's work their weay northward, the green treefrogs decline drastically, finally disappearing completely in many areas. I don't know if we can reverse that in central or south Florida, or not. But if we can stop the spread of CTF's, perhaps the Carolina anoles in northern Florida will survive and spread back into this area.

Everyone has to make up their own minds on issues like this, but I think it is worth a shot. I can't stop global warming all by myself, but I can make my backyard a CTF-Free Zone, and I can encourage others to do so.

So I'm workin' on it.......

Marcia

o

Bravo Marcia,
I agree with you 100%.
Around my place the brown anoles are numerous, but the greens are making a strong come-back. They are even "getting along" with each other. I posted a pic of a cross on the post "Look at This Guy!" He is a beautiful bright green with a brownish ridge down his back-had to be a cross.Don't know if that's a good idea, but "survival of the fittest" I guess, except when it comes to CTF's. They gotta go!

o

I have no native frogs, no native lizards, and no native toads left due to the invasive species. I kill the Cubans every chance I get, but there are so many now, it would be a full time job to kill them all.

I used to have tons of toads in my yard, and now they are all gone. I found a cuban who had actually sneaked into my bird cage and was after my cockatiels once. Guess he climbed in when he was small, and stayed in until he was big, otherwise, no way he could have gotten in. Don't know how he escaped my notice for so long, but they do grow quickly.

I don't kill the brown anoles, because they are the only defense I have against the stupid roaches! I have tons of roaches, and can't imagine how many I would have if it wasn't for the anoles. Besides, they're cute.

I miss my toads. I had made little toady house for them out of my broken clay pots, and they never come anymore.

I didn't have this invasion of roaches before the toads disappeared. They would eat them, but evidently, the cubans won't. I've been fighting roaches for about 3 years now, and it's a losing battle. I need toads! I'm ready to go and capture some from the wild.

So yes, Cubans do upset the balance of things drastically.

o

Ahhh, a CTF haters group? I read this whole thread and empathize enough with the plight, to have created an account just to show support for the cause. Recently, my small Koi pond has recieved a chorus nighttime screaming Cuban Tree Frogs. After two sleepless nights, my grumpy disposition moved me to action. Nearly a half dozen of these pests have met a quick end due to a rapid deceleration against my wall. There seems to be a kind of succession ready to replace those who have fallen, but I stand ready to do battle again. On a positive note, I did catch a greenie happily watching the onslaught from my eve. The CTF, not only ugly, invassive, a hinderance on our greenies, but they're also annoying. Good riddence. I've got a few greenies around, a toad or two, one field mouse and a growing garter snake. I like the nature, just not cubas nature.

o

Two years ago I had LOTS of frogs.. assorted and kept many photos. Last year there were very few. This year....today.. a multitude of tiny babies. After reading this thread and looking again at my photos.. MOST were ctf's. I was hoping those adorable tiny things were GOOd things. Not.

If I stick a pipe in for them to 'inhabit'... how do they get onto the top and down into it?
Thanks

o

Buttterflyy - Unlike Shaq they have really good aim! Nah, just kidding. The way I understand it is that they CTF's are naturally attracted to enter into small openings, so they will jump onto the pipe, use their sticky feet to make their way to the top, go down into the opening and never be able to get back out. Theoretically. Hopefully. Although it makes me wonder how it is that their sticky foot pads allow them to make their way up the outside surface of the pipe, but they are unable to work their way up the inside surface of the pipe.

o

about the pvc pipes, I check them on my morning coffee walks, and if i see a frog in it, I lift the pipe and shake it into a plastic bag or whatever I have handy. The greenies I let go, the CTFs get evicted ;-)
then the pipe goes back into its hole to await the next tendants.

o

I think Evelyn has it right. Nothing will happen to them in the pipes. They are just a "trap" so you can catch them and then dispose of them. You will need to check them each morning, and shake the inhabitants out, just like Evelyn described.

Good luck!
Marcia

o

I would bet that they can climb back out but if you check the pipe during the day when they aren't active you can save, evict, freeze or smush, whichever you choose. But if you left them until evening they would get out on their own for nighttime snacking. That's just a guess but since I've watched them climb up a window pane I can't believe the PVC would be a big problem for them.

Kate

o

Thank you... wonder what you use for bait? - no idea where all those babies went.. We did have a corn snake... I've been wishing him well and happy hunting. Maybe he thought they were appetizers. My husband has offered to do any required smushing.

o

I don't even want to touch the things. I was walking my dog one night, one of them was on the back door and launched itself off my wrist over to a garden wall. Cold and wet. Blech! Last night my husband snapped a few shots of one eating another. They are both cuban tree frogs, yes?

Canibal Frog

o

The 'victim' looks to me like our native green tree frog. I know there are those who know for certain. Last night as I was weeding I squished about 5 or 8 little ones. First one was hard.. others weren't. No green ones among them.. Ick! Had quite a few green ones last year.. haven't seen any large frogs of any kind, but apparently they've been busy as they were hiding out because we have a huge population of babies.

o

Perfect example of why I hate them so much. This is a Cuban treefrog eating a native treefrog (probably a green treefrog, judging by the cream stripe on the side). Notice it is eating a frog that is almost as big as IT is! The picture makes me want to cry!

Marcia

o

• Posted by lellie z9 Anna Maria Island (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 08 at 14:10

That's just so sad!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been quite diligent in eradicating any I see or hear in my yard.
They're easier to locate at night, since they're nocturnal, I believe.
They particularly come out in the evening if it rains.
I hunt them down with a vengeance...LOLAM

I can usually count on them frolicking around the pool.
Two years ago, I had a pair that would leave over half a dozen huge masses of eggs on the pool water every night for a month!
I swear...I could never get all the eggs out, either!

I know there is still one somewhere...at times I can hear it.
A favorite hiding place is inside an electrical box which hangs on the side wall.
There's the tiniest crack between the box and the door of it...and somehow...they get in!

I've learned how to locate them by walking around in wet flip-flops...LOL...they 'answer' the "squeak" when I walk.
Hehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!
They'd do well not to 'answer' my shoes. *Pfffffffffftttttttt!

o

I need a pair of those flip flops. Well, again tonight I was woken several times by "raah raaah" out by my pond. Due to a lack of frog calling flip flops, I have to sit in waiting until they pipe up. Then, with my flashlight I can quickly locate em and scoop em up with my gloved hand. Smash Smash smoosh smoosh. After 15 minutes, two more down into the great beyond. Looked like Juvenile sized ones. Interstingly enough, inside my screened back porch I found a baby one hopping around - stomp. Now, for the smile maker. Again while smashing the teenagers, I saw a tiny baby Greenie on the wall. :-) He disappeared, but I'm happy to know that maybe... maybe I made his home a little safer tonight. Death to All Cuban Tree Frogs!!

o

Amen. (Except of course, those who are actually living where they BELONG and have natural controls keeping the population in check...but that's another story, and one that does NOT pertain to Florida.)

Marcia

o

Death to exotic species, flora or fauna! BTW, what's wrong with killing yankees and tourists? You seem to hint that's not a good thing.

o

This is how nature works. Of course humans are messing things up. If we truly cared about nature and things being in their rightful place, we would stop breeding like rats and clean up our lives. We are constantly destroying homes of animals and killing them in the process. We wonder why bears, wolves and other predators are killing people when the answer is so simple! If we stopped expanding and being greedy with food, shelter and unnecessary wants and 'needs', then we wouldn't have these issues. For hundreds of thousands of years, animals have been over taking others and either inter-mixing or destroying them. But humans are going to the extreme for nothing more than self preservation. Which is fine, but not in the obsessive compulsive way we are going about it. We don't need huge houses and cars, tvs, video games, phones, double of everything, things just to make us happy for a moment and then trashed. At the rate we are going, with 7 billion people on the planet, no one will survive. There wont be plants, animals, and no more useless toys, no more hummers or trips to Spain or luxury watches and gadgets. Stop worrying about a frog killing off other native animals, worry about you killing animals because of the things you think you 'need' to live. There was no such thing as cancer before humans showed up, did you know that? Fish never had cancer until we started to pollute their water. We are this planets apocalypse. We do without thinking, without caring, and the outcome is only death. So your house is stained, wash it off and get over it. You have no right to end any persons or animals life, only nature has that right. You are not starving, they are not attacking you, so leave them be.

o

Cuban tree frogs have been in Miami/Florida for hundreds of years. Cuba is a stone throw away and ships using sails have been going back and forth for hundreds of years.

However when the development boom hit Florida esp Miami many of the green treefrogs were driven out ,died,etc and the Cuban tree who actually thrives and prefers develoments increased in numbers.

I go herping by Glades which is lush vegetation and rarely see them but see plenty by my house and development.

Development is the real killer on natives but Cuban tree's are lethal to green anoles and native tree frogs.
As adults they rarely eat insects and for most part eat other small amphibians and reptiles.

I kill them as much as possible because they came close to wiping out the green anole population in my yard when I did not.
Anoles sleep on branches and at night the Cubans eat them.

I think they should be killed but people should know the difference between them and lets say large green treefrogs because green tree's will also sleep in pvc pipes,etc .

In my pond I get green tree tads and Cuban tads so don't kill tadpoles untill I know 100% they are only Cuban tree's.

o

Thoughts on killing Cuban Tree Frogs? clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by secuono (My Page) on Sun, Aug 2, 09 at 10:33

This is how nature works. Of course humans are messing things up. If we truly cared about nature and things being in their rightful place, we would stop breeding like rats and clean up our lives. We are constantly destroying homes of animals and killing them in the process. We wonder why bears, wolves and other predators are killing people when the answer is so simple! If we stopped expanding and being greedy with food, shelter and unnecessary wants and 'needs', then we wouldn't have these issues. For hundreds of thousands of years, animals have been over taking others and either inter-mixing or destroying them. But humans are going to the extreme for nothing more than self preservation. Which is fine, but not in the obsessive compulsive way we are going about it. We don't need huge houses and cars, tvs, video games, phones, double of everything, things just to make us happy for a moment and then trashed. At the rate we are going, with 7 billion people on the planet, no one will survive. There wont be plants, animals, and no more useless toys, no more hummers or trips to Spain or luxury watches and gadgets. Stop worrying about a frog killing off other native animals, worry about you killing animals because of the things you think you 'need' to live. There was no such thing as cancer before humans showed up, did you know that? Fish never had cancer until we started to pollute their water. We are this planets apocalypse. We do without thinking, without caring, and the outcome is only death. So your house is stained, wash it off and get over it. You have no right to end any persons or animals life, only nature has that right. You are not starving, they are not attacking you, so leave them be.
-----------------
I agree 100% about humans being the #1 killer.
Recently it came out that the Glades was becoming more polluted by construction run off toxins plus farming pesticides were finding their way into the Glades and killing native fish not so much non natives killing them like many thought.

However Cuban tree's are big killers and if you refrain from killing them as I once did than you could say I helped kill green anoles in my yard .
I now kill them in numbers and the green anoles are coming back.

Cuban tree's would hide in my plants even during the day and pop up like "jack in the box" and grab green anoles. First time I saw it it startled me (I saved the anole).

There are some non natives that have no negative impact or close to none and eat tons of mosquitos like house geckos but Cuban tree's of all the non natives are by far the worse.
The females as 3 to 4 inch heavy adults actively hunt sleeping anoles and native tree frogs as they are to heavy to slow to catch most insects.

http://img545.imageshack.us/i/ctfv.jpg/

o

I have to agree about "disposing" of the cuban tree frogs. I really do not like the idea of doing it, I love all animals! But our zone 9 home has been over taken by cuban tree frogs. There are NO other frogs seen in our yard etc except for the cuban tree frogs. Last year I read that they were considered invasive and how to address it. My son and I captured them and disposed of them to what seemed no end last year. It was horrible, but now with the rain coming more everyday, we actually saw our first NATIVE tree frog, and then we seen a whole bunch of new little tree frogs. We have more geckos and lizards, its beautiful and amazing. I thought for the longest time that our area just did not have any kind of frogs except cubans, well thats because the cubans eat EVERYBODY else. I know it may seem cruel to some people to dispose of them, if even for a greater purpose, like enabling our native species to reproduce, but it needs to be done. A alternative to disposing, set up a frog terrarium and put the ones you catch in there, you can control and stop them from reproducing AND allow them to live. =)

o

I collected about 6-7 of those Cuban tree frogs. Even though I could not kill them, I gave them a "life sentence" by putting them under my huge fire pit cover, the top part that looks like a dome. It now an "enclosure" on the ground under bush (so there is a shade during the hot days too). I put some shallow water there for them and some fruits that will perish and create fruit flies. They can eat those or whatever insects happen to be there. I know it might be cruel as well but I think it's better than just killing them. I've made a closeable connection tube between them and outside which I will use to insert more cuban frogs as I find them. They are cannibals and might eat each other and self-distract. I will take a picture tomorrow. Me and my husband we joking about collecting and sending them back to Cuba. This picture shows one sitting in the pitcher plant.

o

Here is picture of that enclosure outside for Cuban tree frogs

o

Wouldn't it poison my chickens if I fed them to the chickens? Just found out they are only about 90 minutes from us. Not happy at all. Didn't think they would live this far north. We can get down to 9 degrees some winters. Ready to kill them if I can know for sure it is one. Googled and read several sites. I think I can ID one if I have to. I never killed anything but lubbers, fire ants and mosquitos so far. This will be far from easy.

o

This GW is really getting boring........no plant or bloom pictures, just rants about killing frogs, seems to be the " hot topic!" Try growing something, buy a camera, dirt cheap, and post something you've grown......FB.....positive! Have met gardeners from China to Oregon.....just my take.......M

o

Sorry this bothers you. Some posts like this are really needed! I never thought i would see them this far north, but they are only about 35 miles away now. I am very concerned. Any info I can get on them is much appreciated. Maybe you can find something fun on another site?

o

I've got a question. Are the natives always green? I've got a ton of "flesh-colored" frogs and I'm not sure what constitutes a "large" toe pad. Blue bones? I can't tell when they're hopping around! I had one land on my FACE yesterday as I was opening an outdoor umbrella. Ew! I'm fairly " live and let live" in my yard, but as I stated on another thread, the rise in flesh colored frogs has coincided with a decline in other species in my yard. I do NOT want to mistakenly kill the wrong frog. I've researched and googled and still don't feel confident I can correctly identify. Any help?

o

The University of Florida had a good site with lots of pictures and info. Quoting from the website. They have warts on their backs. If they are bigger than 2.5 inches, they are not native and probably are Cubans. I think it said they can get up to 8 or 9 inches in length. They can be white, tan, green with grayish stripes and the toe pad ends are bigger. It also has a frog ID sound if you can find the play button. I couldn't find it on my screen. Supposed to go Mroak. I rarely see our frogs. Just hear them singing in the forest around us.

o

To Zackey & all the other intuitive and savy people who have contributed to this discussion, - right on !
Two days ago I purchased six 3 ft long pvc pipes and installed them in my backyard as the University of Florida suggested. Next morning - nothing. But this morning I found one native green treefrog hiding out, plus two of the invasive, obnoxious Cubans. Also found one Cuban sitting on a broad mango leaf nearby.
The native was freed and the three Cubans were immediately dispatched into frog heaven.
The hand - wringing, " compassionate " Cuban frog lovers might ask,.." Were they humanely euthanized ? "
Don't ask !

This post was edited by jofus on Tue, Sep 10, 13 at 13:42

o

I had a large female Cuban get into my aviary and try to eat one of my birds. Did I freeze her? You betcha!

o

I wish they would just disappear. Today I opened my hot tub cover. Two of them were there in a 95 degree tub. Such a nasty mess around the edges. I attempted shoo'ing them out with a broom. One jumped out, the other, went for a swim. They are so creepy looking. Reading about killing them in a "humane" manner. How do you guys catch them to euthanize them? Since they kill Florida frogs, we may start killing them.

o

Go back to Texas .......

o

Kill the buggers. Grew up in Tampa, never saw one as a kid, saw two while visiting ,caught them both before I knew what they were. Caused sneezing profusely and skin irritation. Also crapped on new truck and etched paint . They kill the croaking greenies I used to catch as a kid. This frog is a plague like Obama.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here