Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pineapple

Posted by linda_leaf 10 FL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 16:35

I am growing pineapples in 5 gallon buckets (holes drilled in bottom for drainage). I removed the pups that were growing in between the leaves as my pineapple developed and reached maturity. Now that I have harvested the very tasty pineapple I noticed that there is yet another pup on the plant and it is getting to be quite large. Can I just leave this pup alone and expect to get another pineapple or do I remove it and pot it up as usual? And can I reuse the 5 gallons of soil for pineapples?
Linda Leaf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pineapple

The top that produced the fruit will die off but will produce suckers that will develop and produce more fruit.

o

I would say just leave the large pup. It should have another pineapple in the future.

o

Usually second pineapple isn't very good, but break off the pup and plant it. I just let the plant go and can usually get several pups within a few months and then plant all the pups.

o

OK, I have decided to leave the one pup on the plant just to see what happens. I have pups forming on all my plants now.
Linda Leaf

o

Linda ~ I have been growing pineapples for a while now and I tried what you are wanting to do. When the sucker gets to the point of fruiting, the sucker needs to be supported because it is weakly attached to the mother plant. The weight of the fruit will cause the sucker plant to break off, thus loosing you potential harvest. To play it safe, it is best to separate the sucker.

Christine

o

Oh, I see. So I will remove the sucker and treat it like I do all the other pineapple tops.Is there any reason I cannot reuse the 5 gallons of soil from the buckets for the new pineapple plants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here