Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard78_gw

What's this bug?

Richard78
12 years ago

On my crepe myrtle here in Ft. Lauderdale. I don't find it on the web anywhere but just emailed Dr. Howell at UF for help. I've used insecticidal soap twice now a week apart and it's slowly working but I pick or hose 10-15 off almost every day.

Comments (12)

• stuartwanda
    12 years ago

Here you go, it was just asked about Thursday.

Here is a link that might be useful: bugs

• Richard78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the link. Now I know. I also got a response from the UF prof, with links that some may be interested in. I think he misidentified the one in my photo as the Sri Lanka species instead of the FL one, but who am I to argue with a professor.

Richard,

That is the Sri Lanka weevil, Myllocerus undecimpustulatus undatus. It is an exotic weevil native to Sri Lanka, first found in Florida in the year 2000. Adults feed on leaves of a large number of plant species, causing deep notches. More information in Circular #412 at http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/ento/entocirc-no.htm

http://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/Sri%20Lanka%20weevil.pub%20(Read-Only).pdf

Info on control of insect pests on landscape plants is available in publication ENY-338 at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG01

I expect that you would control these weevils like any other leaf-feeding beetle in Table 1 of that publication. For additional control information, you could call your local county extension office. I don�t personally deal with insecticides, but the county extension agents in your area likely get this question a lot and hopefully know what works for controlling this pest.

Lyle

Lyle Buss
    Insect Identification Laboratory
    Entomology & Nematology Dept.
    University of Florida
    Building 970 Natural Area Drive
    P.O. Box 110620
    Gainesville, FL 32611-0620
    (352) 273-3933

Visit our department's webpage at http://entnemdept.ifas.ufl.edu

Sent: Monday, August 01, 2011 12:01 PM
    To: Buss,Lyle J
    Subject: FW: Insect ID

Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 4:28 PM
    To: Howell,Pamela J
    Subject: Insect ID

Hello Dr. Howell,

I got your name from the Florida Gardening forum on the website Gardenweb.com, and was told you could help me identify this pest on my Arapahoe crepe myrtle, and how to control them. I've been using insecticidal soap weekly for two weeks now, which seems to slowly be doing the job. Thanks so much.

Richard
    Ft. Lauderdale

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Might it be Fuller's Rose beetle/weevil?

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/horticulture/citrus/health/pests/fullers-rose-weevil

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuller's Rose beetle @ UFL

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

I spotted a dead one of these things in my yard today in
    Seminole County. They are sure getting around.

~dianne

• Richard78
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't believe I'm still battling these guys. I'm using Sevin spray weekly and still go out to find at least 10 every week. I'm going to try a Tanglefoot collar this weekend. Any suggestions appreciated.

• starryrider
    12 years ago

If Sevin isn't working try something else.
    Bayer and Ortho make products you can spray on plants.

• gatormomx2
    12 years ago

UF recommends rotating products for more effective control.

starryrider is right.

Beetles with their hard shells are particularly hard to eliminate.

You can try carbaryl, acephate or an
    insecticide that contains a pyrethroid labeled
    for leaf-feeding insects. Always make sure
    that both the pest and the host plant are listed
    on the label.

• teka2rjleffel
    12 years ago

I too have them. My research tells me that they are double bad news. It isn't just that the adults eat the leaves. The larvae eat the roots. In desperation I even called a pest control company who told me they would love my business but nothing will kill these weevils and that they have no known predators. I too pick and squish. They feed more at night so the picking is better early morning or at dusk. I hope someone comes up with something. I stand to lose my 50+ roses plus a bunch of other plants.
    Nancy

• MatthewC
    12 years ago

I have a problem with this Sri Lanka weevil as well.
    In my property I have Mango's, Lychee, Avocado, Mohagany, Macadamia nut, Oak, Ackee and more. Thankfully, these weevils like the Ackee so much they are seldom found on other plants.

What works? These little white devils glow under a black light (UV light). Get a cheap UV or Blacklight flashlight. Using this light, you can see them at night very easily, but they don't see you.

I do this once a week and although I still have the weevil's, they are reduced to a population that is not a problem.

Try it. If it works for you, pass the advice along.

Good Luck!

• SaintPFLA
    12 years ago

I keep finding these too. I had no idea what they were. I'm finding them around the exterior of my house...on windowsills, etc. at night.

I haven't seen them on any of my ornamentals, but I guess it's a matter of time now.

• alby
    12 years ago

Those things routinely disseminated a bauhinia tomentosa I HAD and the only thing that worked on them for me was Bayers Tree and Shrub drench. I don't think it's called Tree and Shrub anymore, though. Initially it kept them off for maybe three months, but ended up not being that effective.

I recall that Sevin would also kill them but was not as long lasting as the Bayers. They just laughed at me when I tried Cygon. I ended up just going after them with a can of Raid, but like someone else said, they see you coming and take evasive action. Unfortunately, the tree didn't fare too well.

They also really go after my dahoon holly and seem to like an areca palm too. I used to see them hiding in a firespike that was next to the B. tomentosa but they didn't eat it for some reason.