Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanem2

More pictures from Treefrog's party

JoanM
16 years ago

So what happens when a bunch of gardeners decide to get together for lunch?

Fruit anyone?

What a nice day with friendly people. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to a slideshow

Comments (47)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Joanie-Thanks so much for bringing the party to me!! Great Slideshow! So good to see my friends even though I am way over here! Preston is so handsome, I wanna hug him, Lisa, slobber and all. And who is sissy?? What a cutie! And why does Kristi's dye job match her new friend's??? Oh wait, that's natural, Kristi, sorry. lol Looks like you all had a whole buncha fun. Did ya run outta food??? lol

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

My first book signing! Sigh...

• bradisha
    16 years ago

I enjoyed the slideshow Joann. Thank you for posting. I felt I was at Treefrog's party too . What a Scrumptous feast!! and a lovely garden!!

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Hey, I left but for all I know the party's still going.
    A BIG Thank-you to David who graciously opened his home to us (after we all said we were coming over anyway, but I digress)The Chaya leaves were unusual and so good. Sandwiches were excellent on St Marybeth's buns. Mango tasting? Who knew there were so many flavors? What a great time. Garden webbers are the best!

• ariel73
    16 years ago

Looks like you all had a great time!
    One day I swear I will make it down to one of the south florida swaps!!!!
    So now that everyone has tasted all those different Mangos, which one(s) was your favorite?
    And which one(s) would you never buy?

Ariel

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

Steve and I just got home............

had a great time

thanks everybody..........

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Joan, your photos are excellent! You really captured the day's fun!

CindeeA, Sissy is our Jack Russell Terrier, who keeps the squirrel and rat population under control. She is also a social butterfly who loves meeting new people. Lots of folks at the party had an unexpected visitor spring onto their laps-a white bundle of muscle and grins! She is sooo tired now(G).

Pat, Dawn, Preston, Sissy and I had a wonderful time! The food was yummy! We got to try the most amazing selection of Mangos, a Dragon Fruit that was nearly too pretty to cut, and the fascinating Cashew Apple, along with Jamaica Cheries, SueBelle White Sapote, Barbados Cherries, Carambola Punch, and Canistel. Watching people try Miracle Fruit for the first time is always good for a laugh!

Treefrog's gardens look green and lush from the rains. Flowers were blooming like mad. He has a stunning Desert Rose that is HUGE! His Coffee tree is gorgeous, loaded with beans. His Peach tree makes mine look sickly.

Thank you Treefrog, for a wonderful day, spent with nice people with similar interests! You are a terrific host!!

I'm so tired I think I'll be asleep before 7!

Lisa

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Great Pictures Joan. I got the potato tree planted in it's new home. I'll keep you posted on how it does. Well, did we convince hubby a condo's not the way to go? lol

David, what is the name the pink flower in the picture, not the hibiscus? I love it. ;o)

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

What a wonderful day!
    I want to thank everyone for coming and making everything so great.
    Just now finally got to check in here.
    What a surprise to see all the pics. You're so quick.

I'm officially tired and will be in bed shortly.
    Clean up was a breeze for all who were worried. You guys had it all under control before I could even think about it.
    Again, thanks so much.

Cindeea, glad you could come, even if it was only via telephone. Guess you've had a busy weekend too.

Katkin, which flower? The bromeliad? Aechmea Fasciada?

Looking forward to the next event!

Treefrog

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Froggy, come to my swap in Sept. would love to WOW you with everyone elses plants!!! lol

Sounds like you all had a blast.

Lisa-I have 2 choices if I ever get a dog (cat lover here) I would want a retired greyhound or a jack russel...hmmm greyhound is more my pace. Jack Russel's are so spirited and fun. Can I get one for a day???

• ginibee
    16 years ago

Joan, the pics were great and really showed the whole realm of the wonderful day.

The mango tasting was so delicious and while they were all good (except one to my taste), MY favorite is the Florigon.

David, thank you so much for having all of us taking over you home and garden for a day. You are a wonderful, generous host and I loved seeing your garden and eating your delicious food. It was the best!!

It was nice to see everyone and meet new garden friends. You are all so special.

Ginny

• JoanM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The only mango I didn't like was the Carrie. It was William's favorite though. Go figure. My favorite mango of the day was the unamed one from Excalibur.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Great day for sure. Been outside securing the new plants till morning.

All the people were great, the mango tasting was amazing, I now know or can relate to the excitement of the folks that get into tomato tasting the many varieties. Thanks to everyone that thought of doing the taste testing. They were all great, some even better. None were bad at all.

The yards were outstanding, the weather cooperated the dogs were fun, who could ask for more?

Thanks for the great time,

Tony and Mary Beth.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Joan,
    Thanks for all the beautiful pictures. You really are a talented photographer! It was wonderful meeting you and William.

Veronika and Lisa, what a fabulous and generous idea to bring all those mangoes to taste! Along with all the other interesting fruits, salads and foods, this party took on quite a memorable dimension.
    I like the Florigon mango a lot too. But then I like all mangoes.

Michelle, that vine is a crossvine, a hummingbird favorite.

Kristi, a huge thank you for everything, especially for wrapping up the food table. There was so little work for me to do after everyone left!

Dawn, it was great to finally meet you, and thank you so much for all the help setting things up. I really enjoyed Preston too!

Lisa of course a huge thanks for everything. The chaya leaves dolma were a huge success! And all the fruits! Wonderful! I've got some stuff to return to you. Let me know when you'll be around.

It was also nice to meet Wanda, Cliff, Karen, and everyone. My brain still hasn't registered everything, but you're all there.

Kat, thanks for instigating this shindig.
    Marion too for all the help with everything.

See you all again soon!

• nytrinigemini
    16 years ago

It was a fabulous day....thanks Treefrog and Kat...you both have really nice yards and gave really good tours :-) The food was great the people were better :-) It was nice to see everyone again and to meet new people. The mango tasting was good although now I cant remember which was my favorite...they were all good...I also wanted to thank everyone who kept Matt company while I went around and checked out all the plants and gardens...He had a really good time too :-) You guys are all great. Hope to see everyone again soon :-)

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Hey Tony, I've been trying to figure out the Dragonfruit variety you brought, but there are too many possibilities.

Where did you get it? Can you ask? It was very good and I'd like to have one.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragon fruit varieties

• cindeea
    16 years ago

What does the dragon fruit taste like, Lisa. Is the fruit soft or firm?

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Cindee, it is firm, reminds me of the texture of the crushed ice in Italian Ices, but not as cold, and a finer grind. Not crunchy like an Apple, softer somehow. Not mushy at all. The many tiny seeds do add a nice crunch as you chew. Many people say it reminds them of Kiwifruit, but those are a juicier/softer fruit.

It is pleasant, mild, bland (to my taste) unless dosed with Lemon or Lime. Then, to me, it is utterly delicious and I could eat the whole fruit with pleasure. The interior separates easily from the rind, leaving perfect slices/wedges of speckled fruit.

They are almost too beautiful to eat! It hurt me to cut it(G). So darn pretty!

Lisa

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Sorry, I think the word I was looking for is "crisp" but fine-textured. You don't get a feeling of juiciness, it is dryish, but doesn't feel dry in your mouth. You can scoop it with a spoon, or cut in wedges/slices. The citrus wakes it up, and seems to add much more than just a sour flavor.

Very hard to describe.. I'm not doing it justice.

Help!! What can those of you that ate it add to the discussion?

Lisa

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Yes, Lisa, this one was of the better ones that I have tasted (none of them from my garden, yet....still waiting).
    The flavor is really hard to describe. I would not describe it as dryish, but it is not juicy either. Really, the Kiwi fruit is the best to compare it to for me, the seeds in Dragon are more pronounced, but not bothersome. (My husband does not like seeds in melons, and other fruits, and this Dragon fruit does not bother him at all, he likes it very much). Cindy,you have to taste it for your self. (Sometimes I find them in oriental stores). Lisa, you described it very well.
    Veronika

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Hi Lisa,

That was my FIRST Dragon Fruit as well and I was impressed. While it was on the bland side, it was eye candy for sure. To me it looked like some rich vanilla ice cream with vanilla specs in it. While no real specific flavor other than a vague kiwi, it was a relief to know it doesnt taste aweful, like a tomato!

I got the fruit from the same oriental grocery store that I got the candy from. The fruits are all locally grown by friends/family of the store owner. There is a chance albeit slim they would know the variety but I will go and ask them.

Do you think we could start the plant from the seeds?

When you say you want one, I am guessing you mean the tree, but you could also mean another fruit, or both. I can get the fruit and mail it to you if you like. They had several there.

While on the topic of Dragon Fruit, the same store also has Dragon Druit juice or soda in cans. I bought one once a long while back. I didnt mind it and drank the whole thing. It was a strange drink because there was all sortsa stuff in there and I was afraid to look what it was so I avoided using a glass.

If you ever get up this way, let me know, I can check and see what they have and we can stop in there.

I will do what I can.....

Tony

PS that strawberry tree fruit still has me puzzled. It taste like something way different than I would it expect it to. I plan on starting a few seeds to see what happens. Thanks for bringing that fruit too. Man there was a lot of variety there!

PSS......... you made the very right choice in the method to cut that fruit so we all could share it. I was impressed. The thin wedged slices were perfect and the skin DID peel right off.

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Looking at the PIN variety viewer: my guess would be Vietnamese Jaina (it was on the bigger side, don't you think?).
    Veronika

• cindeea
    16 years ago

OK Thanks for the fruit descriptions. Dragon fruit and night blooming cereus is the same plant? If so, then I have acquired a few different plants and I will now look for fruits.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Hi Cindee,

I think there is a difference tween the Cereus and the Dragon Fruit.

Several of us have Dragon Fruit plants and can somehow get some to ya.

Mine is just now a yr old, its a noid from Lowes and it has been flowering like crazy but it cant hold the fruit on itself. I was discussing this with the store worker where I got the fruit we had on Sunday and she says the plant will drop the flower until its over a yr old, then it would/should be able to hold the fruit till maturity.

Lisa, Man! look at all the varieties at the link you posted! I have an idea! Wouldnt it be great to have all those on the table at once like the mangos were at TreeFrogs?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

TonyOOoOoo! I DO have a 'dragon fruit' that was sent to me by one of the generous guys here on the forum. I also have a couple of Cereus. But I certainly would entertain having more now that I hear about the fruits taste and crispness. I do not like the softer mushier fruits. Come to my swap Sept. 2nd and bring StMary Beth and her buns, damn it!!

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Tony,
    if you are looking at the variety viewer, the one from me is the Physical graffity. I also have the yellow variety.
    Maybe next year, we can do tasting....
    Tomato tasting would be fun as well
    Veronika

• Lady
    16 years ago

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures. It looks like you guys had such fun.

Cindee I got some good dragon fruit from a family owned market in Fort Myers last year but I think they have closed down. I also got one from Publix this year that didn't taste like anything so don't waste your money.

Tony I am glad to hear that mine is not the only one droping it's flowers without producing any fruit. Recently I was at Echo and they had one fruiting in a pot that is the same variety as mine. It is physical graffity and the fruit on Echo's plant was huge. Hopefully next year we will all have lots of fruit.

You guys need to come to Cindee's trade Sept 2nd and then come visit a few gardens here in the Cape. It's going to be quite the party!

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Hi Veronika, I really like the name 'Physical Graffity'. Cant wait to see one in the flesh.

After reviewing the page with all the different types of Dragon Fruits, I was fascinated by how they are being grown against the burlap. I am thinking now I may put a post in the ground and surround the post with wire mesh to hold in some thing like peat moss or something that can hold nutrients for the roots that pop out up high on the plant.

After seeing and trying the one fruit, IMO, it seems worthy to go the extra step in order to get the most out of the plant.

Tomato tasting would NOT be fun.

Tony

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Back to TreeFrogs !

• dghays
    16 years ago

Cindee, not sure if you got a dragonfruit from me, but if so, its probably 'American Beauty', which is one of the best. It tastes like strawberry flavored kiwi I'd say. If properly ripe, its juicy enough to drip some if your half was tipped over. Most are Hylocereus, which is related to night blooming cereus, but distinctly different. I harvested 8 fruit from my Am.Beauty a month ago, should get a few 'giant viet' in a couple weeks.

Gary

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Gary-YES!! Thanks so much I do have one from you. It hasn't grown much, I have it in a clay pot with Tony's stinky star cactus. Should I put it in the ground instead? Will it prefer some shade or full sun. American Beauty is right, I went back through some of my notes and it's from you! I love Kiwi, sounds yummy with a bit of strawberry.

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

I can just about see a Dragon Fruit swap taking shape sometime soon, maybe even in Ft Myers area.

Cindee, that IS one stinky cactus like plant. Ya know, Ricky's has already set a bloom, how about yours?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Not yet, Tony. Neither of the cacti in that pot are doing anything. I think I will redo them. I wanted Mr. Stinky in a pot so I could move him outta the way if he gets too smelly. Prob not a good idea to have it with something I want to eat!! doh! Are you bringing St. Mary Beth to play at my house??

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Well of course ! Maybe she can find something for Dennis to accomplish, on the other hand, she may learn your method of getting Dennis motivated.

Whats the date gonna be?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

There's a swap thread for Fort Myers. It's Sept. 02 on Sunday before the holiday. Please come!!!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

David, the pink flower is in the picture right before the hibiscus. It looks like a pink dogwood flower to me, but it is a small plant not a tree.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Oh, that's a musk mallow, Abelmoschus Moschatus.
    I'll keep an eye out for seed pods and start a flat soon.
    I tried starting some 2 year old seeds this year but had no germination.
    Hopefully I'll have better luck with fresh seeds.

• dghays
    16 years ago

Cindee, not sure how often you're watering it, but it can take a decent amount. Its not a desert cactus. They do ok in pots, I've had them grow quite a bit in 1 gallon pots. They can take partially shade to full sun in Florida.

Gary

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

I'd love to get a seedling from you when you do. It is such a pretty plant. Thanks.

I got all the bromeliads planted. Did you still have more that no one took?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Thanks Gary! I have been treating it like a desert plant...I'll get it in some richer soil and water it more.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Kathy, There are lots more of those bromeliads left. They are Quesnelia Testudo, if you want to know the name.

Everybody, I didn't have a lot of time on Sunday to go around the yard with everybody, taking cuttings and digging stuff up to share. My bad, I should have had it all prepared and laid out, but I was serious when I told you all to walk around taking cuttings and plants.
    There's so much out there.
    Like salvias 'Mystic Spires', red, coral, white, black & blue, eranthemum pulchellum (blue, fall/winter bloomer), there's lots of Persian Shield, Coleus of all kinds, succulents like senecio fulgens, pereskia grandifolia (rose cactus),and many more whose names I don't know, several alocasias and colocasias, white buttercup, mona lavendar, cuban oregano, red firespike, crotons, and much more.

My point here is if you're in the area again and would like anything, stop by and we can take a relaxing stroll with clippers and shovels.

I'll be starting some stuff for the next swaps too.

Thank you all for the wonderful plants you gave to me, and for the plants I found after the party!

Treefrog

PS Cindeea, I'll get your tomato seeds in the mail today.
    I didn't forget you, Sweetie.

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

David, I'd love to come take a stroll in your garden again. I'll send you an email soon. ;o)

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

David, have you had a chance to read any of the book I left? I have a funny feeling that you will be soon wanting to add more edibles to your garden. (G)

I so enjoyed the Mango tasting and sampling other delicacies, that I hope it becomes an annual event, for us all to get together and eat fruit! In winter, we could have a Citrus free-for-all!

I'd like your comments on the book after you are done, please.

Lisa

• growgrow
    16 years ago

That tasting mango was fun, I agree.
    We should do it with tomatoes, and citrus, and anything really. I am all for it!!!
    Lisa, who made those chaya wrapped yummies? I would love to
    have a recipe, not that my chaya is big enough to harvest :-)
    Veronika

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Treefrog made then Veronika. They were yummy and I forgot to bring a couple home with me. (pout)
    Marion

• growgrow
    16 years ago

Treefrog,
    please pretty please, may I have the recipe?
    V.