Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jade fern

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 17:20

Hi
Microsorum thailandicum. Anybody growing these ??
have been growing one in an outdoor terrarium for several years . Around two years ago it lost it's gorgeous turquoise color and is growing out rather than up Any method for correcting this ?? Tempted to try my marsh garden since most of the family are aquatic . Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jade fern

Hi
Apprently not many people growing these Though i found a guy GH growing and he swears they are obligate limestone lithophytes. I'm using long fibered sphag and growth is no problem just the habit.
So would guess nobody is into Elaphoglossums either??
These are growing well but have lost the glow in the dark quality which is soooo gorgeous. thanks gary

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 6:25

Sorry I couldn't help you Gary, but that's a plant I know nothing about. :o)

o

Hi Gary,

Whenever someone mentions a plant that I don't know, I Google it just so I can learn about the exotic plants we can grow in Florida. I did just that and found an interesting article about your plant
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Microsorum thailandicum pc.html

Hope this helps.
Linda Leaf

o

Linda leaf
He's the one that I got the info of an "obligate lithophyte" Would be an interesting way to grow it but experience has taught me it's not necessary and much more difficult to keep the necessary humidity.!! I've repotted and moved from the terrarium to the edge of my marsh garden. So far it's responded by spreading further lol
As to the Elaphoglossum i've been using "white " coir in a basket same problem grows well but has lost the blue color as well as the "glitter"
These have got to be the worlds most beautiful ferns if not plants lol You'd think they'd be MUCH more popular?? Thanks gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here