Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary

Posted by timzoneten FL (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 17:45

Moved to Broward county recently, today I bought a small rosemary plant. I was advised to grow it in a pot but I'd rather not. Will it do well in the ground here? If so, how much sun? What should I do to the soil? And should I keep it away from the sprinklers? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary

It really doesn't matter, ground or pot, although having it in a pot means that you can move it around. Rosemary wants full sun and minimal water once established. Fast draining soil is a must as they will rot if it's too wet.

o

Thanks! I'll find a dry, sunny spot for it and put 'er in the ground tomorrow.

o

I've had Rosemary growing in a pot for 2 years. If you let it dry out too much it will wilt and die.

Ask how I know :))

Jane

o

Rosemary is tolerant of the sandy soil and builders sand. It can also grow in areas with partial shade, but there are more flowers in sunny spots.

o

It grows like a weed for me. I started with two after Christmas clearance tree shaped rosemary cones a few years back and have a nice little hedge now. It is partially shaded and gets watered twice a week with the rest of the garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here