Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Tree ID

jane__ny
9 years ago

I pass this tree everyday when I get home. I really like it, the yellow is so bright (pics not good). Sort of looks like a Croton or similar. {{gwi:910610}}

{{gwi:910617}}

The is another tree I see around town. So pretty with the yellow spiky flowers. Took these shots through my car window...

{{gwi:910618}}

Thanks,
Jane

Comments (11)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Not sure about the first one without a closer look at the leaves, but maybe variegated Mahoe?

The second is the dreaded Golden rain tree.

Edited for typo

This post was edited by writersblock on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 18:59

• yacheryl
    9 years ago

The first one is a Erythrina indica
    "The sunshine Tree".
    Wish we could grow it here in St. Pete.............cheryl

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

the 1st looks like erythrina indica picta.

Here is a link that might be useful: variegated leaves like this?

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Second pic is a peltophorum. Looks just like a Jacaranda until it blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peltophorum

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    9 years ago

Hmm, maybe. but I'd still vote for Koelreuteria elegans, thonotorose, just on prevalence.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the links.
    I'm not sure the first tree is a Coral Tree Erythrina. I've never noticed it losing its leaves nor red flowers. I'll walk down there this week and get closer pictures.

I'm looking for a nice shade tree. I live in Sarasota and the front of my house is in full sun from 10am. Sooooo hot!

I've been eyeing both of these trees as they don't seem overwhelming and provide good shade. I would prefer a tree which holds keeps its leaves.

The second tree looks to be Yellow Poinciana. Beautiful!
    I'm not sure whether this holds its leaves. I notice them in shopping centers and never paid attention to them until they flowered. Love the ferny leaves. Sort of looks like a Golden Rain Tree leaf, but it is not. I have those popping up in my yard because my neighbor has one and it sends seedlings everywhere. Would never plant those.

If anyone grows either of these trees, I'd love to hear about them. I might look for a nursery which carries them.

Thanks so much again!!

Jane

• eric_9b
    9 years ago

The first is Sunshine Tree, now known as Erythrina variegata.

The second is Yellow Poinciana, Peltophorum dubium. This one is the more cold hardy species. There is another Peltophorum common in SoFL, Peltophorum pterocarpum, Copperpod. It has flowers that are a similar yellow but the seedpods get a coppery color.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    9 years ago

I just love it when Eric comes along. :D

• eric_9b
    9 years ago

Thanks, : >

• katkin_gw
    9 years ago

The sunshine tree gets wasps that form a gall and kills the tree, unless you constantly treat it with a product like Bayers tree and shrub. I had one and took it out since I couldn't keep it looking good. Maybe there is something new and better out there now. It is rare to flower here.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are blooming all over Sarasota. I was heading to Siesta Key this morning and passed a beauty on Siesta Drive. I saw someone clipping hedges and stopped my car, waited for traffic to pass and backed up. "What is this beautiful tree??" I yelled, pointing to the tree. "Have no idea, was here when we bought the house," He yelled back above all the honking horns.

I then stopped a man outside his house in Palm Aire and asked the same question. He stood for a minute trying to think and said, "I remember, its a Jacaranda!" I then said, "I thought Jacarandas were purple?" The stranger replied, "no they come in yellow also."

So I have to assume Eric is correct and the tree is a Yellow Poinciana!!

Jane