Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun-loving, fast growing, drought tolerant shrubs

Posted by rvird01 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 19:34

Hi All,

I'm looking for large shrubs or small, low growing trees that are fast growing, thrive in full sun and are drought tolerant once established. I would also like at least one season of flowers or foliage color. I'm not asking for much :)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun-loving, fast growing, drought tolerant shrubs

Confederate rose is a beautiful shrub/tree, blooms in the spring, with huge blossoms that look like roses or fancy hibiscus. I have them all over my property and just love them.

o

Have you considered loropetalums? Our landscaper recommended them as a screen around our lanai & we're happy with them. Some varieties grow to 12' with 6' spread. Fast growing, new growth is burgundy/purple leaves (evergreen) with spring pink flowers. Most people seem to shear them into hedges, but I like to selectively prune to keep a "loose" shape. Our are in full sun & while I regularly watered them during their 1st season, they've been on their own since. ;)

o

Thanks Kay and Denise. I've been meaning to buy some confederate rose. I don't think it will thrive where I want to put the shrub screen since it is really sandy and hard to keep watered. But, I have a few other spots that should work well.

I love loropetalums, I have several and they are doing well. I just want to add something new.

Have either of you ever had orange sweet broom?

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 5:59

How about dombeya seminole? It blooms a pretty pink flower a good part of the summer and gets pretty tall and wide. :o)

o

jatropha or yellow elder

o

Thanks for the recommendations. I looked them up and love them! I actually have the yellow elder (yellow bells) and love the flowers. Would the dombeya seminole and jatropha be hardy in zone 9a? We were just moved there from 8b with the new USDA hardiness zones.
Thanks!

o

Well, after browsing on-line and looking through available area nursery stock, I ended up with Texas Sage. Since it is native to the southwestern deserts, it should do great in my pure sand yard :) Thanks for all the help.

o

Texas Sage is good too. I have it in a very hot sunny area and it does fine. The blooms are pretty, but not very frequent for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here