Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardencpa

I'm a better gardener than photographer..

gardencpa
10 years ago

... but I thought this picture turned out ok. It is so hard for me to capture the garden I see.

Comments (13)

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    10 years ago

I like your picture and I definitely like the garden I see there. You've given each plant enough space to show its form and yet, together, they blend well.

Love the sense of maturity the evergreens in the background give to your site.

June

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

What a lovely garden. What are the tall red flowers? Is it bee balm and if so, could you share where you bought it please?
    Thanks!
    Rhonda

• amberroses
    10 years ago

It looks beautiful and I think the photography is nice too. I like the angle. It's hard to get good pictures of long shots of the garden.

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Truly lovely!

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

I think your garden looks great, a lovely mix of colors. I haven't learned to use these new cameras at all, so you are a step ahead of me. I think the picture is very good.

• gardencpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! The tall red flowers are pentas. I think I got them at Debary Nursery. They are the giant variety. I am pretty sure that plant came back in the spring after freezing last winter but I don't remember 100%. The bees like it well enough but I am more likely to see butterflies and hummingbirds on it.

The plant the the bees love in this picture is the African Blue Basil (at the very back near the corner of the porch). It is hard to see in this picture.

• tomncath
    10 years ago

Very beautiful! Do you have any Blue Basil seeds? If so I'd love to swap you for your choice of 2-3 varieties of purple basil seed. I love bee-magnets ;-)

Tom

• gardencpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tom, I've never tried to grow them from seed. Only cuttings. Sometimes I buy a small one or two in the spring. They freeze here and don't come back and I find it hard to keep rooted cuttings alive all winter. I certainly could try to send some seeds.

I should be in St. Pete in a few weeks and could bring some cuttings. Are you anywhere near Stetson College of Law?

• tomncath
    10 years ago

...I should be in St. Pete in a few weeks and could bring some cuttings. Are you anywhere near Stetson College of Law?

No, I'm on the other end of the city :-( I appreciate the offer but I'll just buy a baby plant when we cool down some and see if it will survive the heat and rain the following summer, I've got just the opposite problem from you temperature-wise.

Tom

• gardencpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bummer. They do like it hot but not too wet. I keep them in a spot with good drainage. I think that is part of the problem I have over the winter. I can't seem to find the right balance for the potted ones. If you want a bee magnet they sure fit the bill!

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Wow! Great photo! Kinda looks like my garden. I have those pentas and blue salvias growing. I used to work for a nursery that delivered to Debary Nursery!

• annafl
    10 years ago

Melissa, I've missed seeing your garden! Just beautiful. You really have an eye for color. I love your pairing of the red penta with the yellow thryallis and cuphea Michael Verity, and how you echoed the red of the pentas with the caladiums. I'm glad I peeked in. Thanks. Ana

• gardencpa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ana! It's been a while. The garden has done well this summer because all the rain. It also didn't freeze back so hard last winter. I miss seeing your garden too!

Zackey, do your pentas ans salvias come back in the spring or are they annuals in your zone?

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living