Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laura1_

Rust on Figs

laura1
9 years ago

I didn't think that rust was a problem on figs until fall but one of mine seems to be a rust magnet! I was using some concoction that Crowley's sells but that wasn't working. I got some Green Cure and have used it the last two weeks and it might be helping but still a little too soon to tell.
The radio guy said to use Daconil...I'm not wild about using that on my fig.

What do you use for rust???

I wouldn't worry about it but it is dropping leaves.

Comments (10)

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Laura

In my experience at the end of the season, most figs get rust. My fig looks good at the beginning of the season for the first crop but at the second crop which is now start to drop some leaves, the daily rains don't help either.
    I have used Green Cure in other crops and for me it is not 100% effective, I would not use Daconil on the fruits that I am going to eat. Some gardeners use Copper for the rust on figs.

Silvia

• laura1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I think that I have heard about copper. Several years ago I heard that there isn't anything listed for use on figs for rust.
    Before I didn't buy the Daconil I read the label and it isn't listed for use on figs...but neither is Green Cure...nor any copper sprays.

At least I figure that the Green cure is safe.

Also I have no figs on the tree. It is growing taller (about 4 feet with good branching) but not a fig in sight.

• whgille
    9 years ago

I never spray my fig trees and the production is great. The production depends on the age of the tree, variety and care. I linked one of the many discussions on fig rust and the use of copper fungicide.

Here is a link that might be useful: fig rust

• laura1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I'm not ready to pull off all the effected leaves yet. I will spray weekly with copper or Green Cure and see how that works in the long run.

A lot of fungicides work as a preventive...and of course once a leaf has the rust on it it will never be a pretty leaf again even if the rust is dead. I don't really like to take off leaves that are still green and making food for the plant.

thx Silvia

• John Spadaro
    6 years ago

Hi My fig tree definitely has a problem the leaves are turning yellow and falling off at an alarming rate and my figs have rust spots on them ,so my question is ,,are the figs still edible ? the tree is about 10 years old and I have never had this problem before . John

• Ben(8b/9a north FL)
    6 years ago

yes the figs are edible IF they are ripe enough... Ripening requires folage on tree, if the rust fungus has wiped out most of the foliage, it will be tough for the tree ripen any fruit. Rust fungus is at home in South East US due to high humidity and heavy summer rains. They are grown commercially n California as that is the weather they require (hot dry summers and wet cool/cold winters) to produce enough fruit to be viable commercially.

• John Spadaro
    6 years ago

Thank you so much ,it was very helpful.

• HU-240218824
    3 years ago

My fig tree has rust on every leaf. Should I completely strip the plant? How will it grow healthy if there are no leaves on it? I live in North Florida And we definite get more than our share of rain. It’s September and the leaves don’t normally drop for winter for a while yet. Should I still remove all of the leaves?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My LSU Purple fig trees get rust every fall when they are about ready to go dormant. Some years its earlier than others. I am in the Jax area and its been raining almost every day so its not surprising that it has started earlier this year. I just pull off the worst leaves that I can reach and leave the rest. I have a smaller breba crop this year than normal as well so far.

My plumeria get rust later than the figs before they drop their leaves fir the winter. So far they have no rust yet. I had a few last year that never went dormant but it was a very warm winter.