Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rust on Figs

Posted by laura1 9aTpa,FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 20:33

I didn't think that rust was a problem on figs until fall but one of mine seems to be a rust magnet! I was using some concoction that Crowley's sells but that wasn't working. I got some Green Cure and have used it the last two weeks and it might be helping but still a little too soon to tell.
The radio guy said to use Daconil...I'm not wild about using that on my fig.

What do you use for rust???

I wouldn't worry about it but it is dropping leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rust on Figs

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 13:50

Hi Laura

In my experience at the end of the season, most figs get rust. My fig looks good at the beginning of the season for the first crop but at the second crop which is now start to drop some leaves, the daily rains don't help either.
I have used Green Cure in other crops and for me it is not 100% effective, I would not use Daconil on the fruits that I am going to eat. Some gardeners use Copper for the rust on figs.

Silvia

o

Yes, I think that I have heard about copper. Several years ago I heard that there isn't anything listed for use on figs for rust.
Before I didn't buy the Daconil I read the label and it isn't listed for use on figs...but neither is Green Cure...nor any copper sprays.

At least I figure that the Green cure is safe.

Also I have no figs on the tree. It is growing taller (about 4 feet with good branching) but not a fig in sight.

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 15:33

I never spray my fig trees and the production is great. The production depends on the age of the tree, variety and care. I linked one of the many discussions on fig rust and the use of copper fungicide.

Here is a link that might be useful: fig rust

o

Well, I'm not ready to pull off all the effected leaves yet. I will spray weekly with copper or Green Cure and see how that works in the long run.

A lot of fungicides work as a preventive...and of course once a leaf has the rust on it it will never be a pretty leaf again even if the rust is dead. I don't really like to take off leaves that are still green and making food for the plant.

thx Silvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here