Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susieqsie_fl

Plant ID , please

SusieQsie_Fla
10 years ago

My neighbor wants me to plant this thing she called bamboo on the lot line. It's a big container-full, but I know nothing about bamboo. I don't really want to put a lot of work into something that might be invasive or just plain ugly in the winter, so I'm turning to the folks-in-the-know.

Thanks
Susie

Comments (7)

• saldut
    10 years ago

Susie, if you plant on the 'lot-line' you can bet the stuff will explode w/growth all over onto your side...I had a neighbor did that w/palm trees and they have taken over several feet on my side and every time I go out I have to pull them up, not to mention all the palm-fronds dropping onto my garden... maybe you can talk her into planting them 20 feet back??? back into HER yard??? LOL....sally

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    10 years ago

The ID will be the telling point. If it is a clumping type, you will be semi-safe. If it is a running type... well... keep your machete sharp and close at hand. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of what I know about bamboo, so I can't help with an actual ID. It does look like one of the skinny varieties of bamboo though.

• User
    10 years ago

I'd be very wary of the variety! If it's running bamboo, forget it!! You want a tight clumping variety, even then it's going to spread. Did you ever see the pictures of tom's???

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

People build concrete/metal barriers for bamboo for a reason and wow, that's already a big root ball, I think, looks like a 10+ gallon pot. Nothing personal toward you, your neighbor, eye of the beholder, but this beholder thinks this plant is ugly as shown. So many beautiful plants will grow in FL. Doesn't look like this would block the view, if that's the point of a lot-line planting.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Everybody for the opinions (which happen to match mine!)
    So, since you know it's bamboo and I know bamboo can be invasive, and we can tell it's not gonna screen very much, I will suggest my neighbor to just leave it in its pot.
    I'll even give it some of my worm compost to help it look a little better, even though it's not on my side of her house. And maybe find her something else to put in the ground, like you said, Leekle, that's better lookin'.

Thanks again!

Susie

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Before letting them plant that bamboo find out it's the clumping or running variety. If it's the clumping variety it might look better once established in the ground. If it's the running variety try to convice them to plant something else. Running bamboo can be really invasive and hard to remove.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Kara...
    Since I don't know how to find out which variety this thing is, I'm just gonna play it safe and assume it's not the good kind.
    Even though it wouldn't affect my yard, my neighbor can't plant it so it would be me digging the hole and doing the planting. So I have already planted a crinum with some guara around it in her front yard...and we will leave the bamboo in its big container.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting