Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honey Bees?

Posted by k8orlando 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 20:37

Hi all!
I have seen a huge increase in the number of bees this year and realize that there hasn't been much news lately about them. Is the decline in honey bees officially over? Did they ID the fungus/virus/parasite that was killing off the hives and fix it or did it just go away on it's own? Were they being abducted by aliens?!? I'm woefully behind on bee news! Can someone give me an update?

Thanks!
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honey Bees?

I'm up here in lower alabama in zone 8b...right on the alabama/florida state line...seems honey bees are in the strangest places...or either i've never noticed them before...wanted to get some seeds off of a tall palm tree and everyone of the tall palms in this area are swamped with them...they are also all over the orange/red trumpet like vines that grow wild here...that is a normal i guess but there are more this year than i remember noticing the last few years...also the crepe myrtles here are semi-covered with them...more so than usual...i also have a couple in my morning glory bush in my yard...that's the update for this area :)

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 18:51

Hi There, we seem to have even more then ever, but then I have even more then ever flowers for them to pollinate. :o)

o

I had an interesting conversation with a bee guy. He said the commercial beekeepers can produce more hives then there is a market for.

I hear a lot of negative feedback on pesticides and bees but according to UF the biggest killer of hives is mites.

I always have an abundance of bees on my blooming palms and crepes. I can hear them before I see them.

o

I wish we had more again! Up until a year ago, our neighbor 2 properties over kept bees and we had tons! Then he decided to move them to another property and we don't see them nearly as often. If I had the nerve to do them myself, I would, but I have a bit of a stinging phobia, and you know phobias are never rational. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here