Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

gardening in hot weather...

whgille
12 years ago

How are your hot weather crops doing?

Let's go and look at my garden today, it was a hot day that is for sure.

Black jungle butterbeans are producing despite the high temperatures

I have to shelled some today:)

Yard long beans, you either love them or hate them,lol. (I like them)

The surprise and tasty vegetable, the easiest to grow and tender, bitter free leaves that taste like spinach (not slimy like other ones) Thank you Maxine.

Eggplants are producing well and I love them!

My favorite dish using everything that I grow in the garden

Green Glaze collards are the best! and I have a lot to share with friends

And my yellow tamarillo also know as a tree tomato is ripening, they are delicious!

{{gwi:24854}}

Silvia

Comments (49)

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How are the tomato seedlings? I have mine getting ready for the fall season. The new ones this season is Nyagous and Rosalita, thank you Tom. Also planted are a smorgasbord of favorites.:) Broccoli and more collards are started and I will follow with some winter squash.

Silvia

• marymilkweed
    12 years ago

Silvia, Your garden looks healthy as always! An update on the Seminole Pumpkin seeds you shared with me last year. I'm growing again this year from seeds that I saved from last year's harvest. I have 21 mature pumpkins from three plants. Also, my Seminole pumpkin seeds will be distributed at the seed exchange at the August meeting of the Organic Grower's Club here in Orlando. I just thought you would enjoy knowing what your generosity has led to.

I'm most interested in the winter squash you mentioned in your post. When it the best time to plant and what variety has worked for you. Thanks, Mary

• thonotorose
    12 years ago

Please tell us more about that big leafed plant from Maxine! I would love to have some.

Everything looks so beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Veronica

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I love the yard long beans too. I'd also like to get the red ones to try again. I agree I'd like to know more about the spinach like green, what is that? ;o) My best tomato was the yellow pear it just now stopped producing.

Your garden looks wonderful as usual.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mary - It is so nice to hear from you and that you keep growing the seminole pumpkin, they are tasty and keep well and it is very nice from you to save the seeds and give others to try, it is very rewarding to see other gardeners succeed.
    Just about this time I am going to start shorter season winter squash, nematodes are active when is hot so I either starter them in new beds or big container, in the spring when is cooler they all get to start in the raised beds.
    I had good luck with Sweet Dumpling, Delica, Red Kuri and Blue Kuri. This fall I am trying another one that is highly recommended Sunshine and it is a hybrid, I will give my reports after I harvest it to see how well it does in our weather and how it taste. You can also try a winter squash available as seedlings at the big box stores that is the Buttercup.

Here is a red kuri in October with a harvested big sweet potato, picture taken in October last year.

Hi Veronica - Oh! I forgot about the name is an edible amaranth called callaloo and widely used in the Caribbean, I ate it while in Jamaica for breakfast, steamed and with sides of vegetables and fish, it was very good. When I came back I decided to grow it, that is when Maxine shared some seeds with me, they were green so I thought they would not grow, lol. She said just sprinkle them and they will keep growing and I have to tell you they are delicious! I prepare washing them in salted water even mine had no bugs, then I stir fry some onions and let the chopped callaloo cook for about 10 minutes. This are the best greens for the summer, I will make soup with chorizo today since the family like them.

Here is another picture

Hi Kathy - You can probably grow callaloo all year round, I read that is very nutritious more so than spinach and when cooked, in my opinion taste better than spinach. We all need our greens for our health, especially if they grow easy for us and easy and fast to prepare. I am going to leave the space in the garden to keep growing. The pictures that I posted are after the big harvest for the dinner last night, and they are not even that long in the ground, the only thing I do for the collards and the callaloo is to wash the leaves with a light spray of water and I have no bugs there. Next time that I cook the leaves I will take a picture, I forgot that yesterday. Today is butterbeans for lunch or dinner. If you have extra tomatoes one of the best ways to keep them for later is just freezing them. That is what I did with some of mine and I am enjoying them for dishes now, like the eggplant dish that I did with the frozen tomatoes. Winter squash cooked and frozen is also very good for recipes, this morning we are having winter squash pancakes.

And thank you Ladies for all your nice comments. ...

• amberroses
    12 years ago

As usual Silvia you are way ahead of me. My tomatoes are still in their cups. Well actually they are ready to be in larger containers but I find it hard to motivate myself in this heat. Your pictures are good motivation though. Everything looks great.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing all those wonderful photos - your eggplants look like small trees!

I have okra & Winter squash right now (I make fritters w/ the abundant male blossoms) & I'm harvesting ripe grapes, along w/ various herbs & chicories. Aconcagua peppers have been producing right along. I'm really pleased w/ this variety; it's tall & vigorous w/ large, sweet fruit & the Summer fruit flies seem to be leaving it alone.

Anxiously waiting on some ripening papayas - I grew 1 plant w/ no male for pollination, but fruit formed anyway - likely due to male trees in the neighborhood & helpful bees.

& FWIW, I neither hate nor love yard-long beans = J

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Gosh, Silvia, do you ever have even one imperfect leaf anywhere in your garden? Amazing, as always.

That's really interesting about callaloo.

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

F Y I: For people searching for the seeds.
    The leaf Amaranth or Red Amaranth has a few different names.
    Callaloo, Hin Choy, Bhakti, Bhajii, Klaroen
    Scientific name; Allium cepa var. cepa.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Looking good Silvia, let me know how you do with Nyagous and Rosalita, I'm trying a half dozen new varieties this season, you know how that goes, you can never have too much color ;-)

Not sure this is going to work but I started some Solar Fire plants early, usually it's still too hot here in September for fruit bloom set, we'll see.

These currants will probably set fruit in September but only time will tell.

These tomatoes will come out from under the lights next weekend and out on the east side of the house with morning sun and afternoon shade.

These sweet peppers get potted up today and go outside.

I'll be starting some broccoli seed today too...getting excited about the fall season now!

Tom

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Amber - I also think is very hot now that is why I have the tomatoes in the porch, they get afternoon shade. I actually saw the ripples today outside in the heat like you see in the desert, lol. At least we got AC.

Thank you Carol - I am glad to know that you are enjoying the fruits of your labor, grapes are tasty! and that remind me that we were going to the Lakeridge winery in Clermont for the festival but we thought it is just too hot to be enjoying the music outdoors.-(
    Also have 1 papaya planted the variety Known You that I got it from Echo and it is really fruiting in the pot, I like that it is dwarf

And yes the eggplants are like a small trees and very productive!, some of them harvested

Thank you Tom - Your tomatoes look so good and well protected, I think you will do fine where you have them and if not you have the back ups. I have a lot of back ups too just in case anything happens to the ones in the big pots.
    I just saw the Sara's Galapagos,lol. Let me know how you like them so I can tell my brother who was a Captain in the Navy going to the Galapagos all the time. When he was here visiting he was remembering how Cheryl as a 10 year old little girl had him locked out of the cabin and she had ordered all the sweets she could have, lol.

Have a great fall season!

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Writersblock. I am making a vegetable soup today and will be using some callaloo, I have it soaking in salted water to be used in the soup.

Just picked callaloo leaves only, I think the stems can be used also but in this dish I am only using the leaves which are very soft and thin.

Silvia

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

FWIW @ loufloralcityz9 'allium cepa' is onions - I thought amaranths were Amaranthaceae...?

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

oops, early morning brain fog. I stand corrected.

Lou

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are different amaranths in the market, look for the one that is called callaloo or that it says it is used in Jamaican cooking. I said this because I grew other varieties before and they are not the same.

The soup that I used butterbeans,some frozen tomatoes from the garden and the callaloo. I like it and I am sure it is very nutritious.

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Hi Silvia, the Solar Fire and White Currants have been duds here so far, lots of blooms but no fruit set...night temps here still above 82-83. Only the Sara's Galapagos have set fruit so it's probably a variant that the Everglades comes from.

I'm ready to try the callaloo, I can probably grow it year around here, can you send me some seeds? Is it like amaranth? Kazillions of small black seeds from a fuzzy flower pod?

Tom

• amberroses
    12 years ago

That's disappointing about Solar Fire Tom. I thought the whole point of Solar Fire was it claimed heat tolerance?

• zenny_jo
    12 years ago

Things that are working out for me at this time of year are Diva peppers, basil, and that's really about it. I have sweet potatoes that I'm waiting to harvest, I have some malabar spinach which is a bit slimy, and I have some kale plants that are still alive. My theory is that I've kept them alive by leaving only two or three leaves on them at a time.

Sylvia, I've been wanting to ask you about fertilizing. How much, and what kind? I've been here 4 years now, but I still don't know where that line between too much and too little is. I've been using a dry organic fertilizer that I mix into my pots. Maybe about a half handful per 1 gal pot. I also seem to have a tendency to overwater, so I start out with the smaller pots. I grow most of my veggies in pots...

Jenny

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tom

I just walked around the garden after the rain and I notice that few tomatoes are setting fruit, the cherries, estiva and some hearts like Monokah Hat.

tomatoes are getting tall

Monokah Hat

Estiva

Some black variety

And of course I can send you some seeds, callaloo is an amaranth so I believe that you are familiar with the growth habits and production, lol. In my experience I found that is too productive and I can not give away to anybody because they are not familiar with it.
    On the other hand I highly recommend the green glaze collards that I can send you some seed if you want it. A lot of people love them! Last weekend I gave it to my neighbors that are native Floridians and they asked the same questions are this collards? they are so pretty! I gave them a big garbage bag full of them and that night they brought me some cooked to taste how they prepare it, they were delicious. Yesterday I gave them some collard seedlings that I had. I also planted some for the fall season.
    I had the same experience when I planted the heat tolerant varieties in Arizona, they did the same like the regular varieties so I stopped planting them.
    Tom, if you decide to try heart tomatoes, I can send you some of the Monokah variety, they always produce a good and early crop. Sometimes varieties that do well in short seasons climates like in Canada do well for me.
    About the callaloo if you want to grow it, don't blame me because it is too productive and you can not keep with the harvest,lol

Hi Amber, I hope that all your crops are doing well and that fall comes soon.:)

Silvia

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Jenny

When you grow in pots is a different type of growing like in a raised bed or soil. It also depends on what mix you are using to apply fertilizers, also depending on what crop you are growing. Regular bagged mixes have some fertilizers added that you can also supplement for heavy feeders such as tomatoes. I use Al' mix that you probably heard about it, if not it is in the container forum. I also add liquid fertilizers again depending on the veggie and what stage of development is for example for tomatoes I only apply in the beginning a nitrogen based fert, when flowers or fruit a low nitrogen one. I have few products that I use very diluted so they last a long time.
    About the over watering, I wait till the pots I can see they change color in the mix, or lightweight and just before they wilt is time to water.
    I only heard of the diva cucumbers , I did not know there is a diva pepper, I am glad that they are working out for you, where in zone 9b are you located?

Silvia

• AmberBrook
    12 years ago

Silvia, I'd love to try growing some of the callaloo too, if you or Maxine have some extra seeds to share. It sounds like a great alternative to spinach.

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

...damn.

I tried to grow Russian Black Prince in the spring. I got a whopping 2 pieces of fruit.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amber, if Maxine does not get back to you, I will save some seeds for you, however I warn you when planting greens they have to be picked often otherwise they can get buggy. Callaloo are one of those very productive! it can feed with greens a whole family, when I tried to give them away nobody took them because they don't know them or how to cook them.-(

Cammunizm, next time when we have a garden party, maybe you can come to meet other gardeners. Today I am going to visit the hydroponics store to see what is new and after that Vietnamese food, one of my favorites! but not the durian drink,lol.

Silvia

• zenny_jo
    12 years ago

Doh! I meant Marconi, not Diva peppers. Diva is on my mind because I'm trying it out. I'm near Tavares. Zone 9b is a guess based on survival rates. Al's mix is a revelation, I'm going to get some pine fines ASAP! Thanks so much for all the great advice.

Jenny

• tomncath
    12 years ago

About the callaloo if you want to grow it, don't blame me because it is too productive and you can not keep with the harvest,lol

Send me some seeds girl, I'll see if I can tame it some in containers ;-)

Tom

• seedsnsprouts
    12 years ago

Jenny,

Are your Marconi's mature or are they seedlings? I'm trying them for the first time and started some seeds a couple months ago. Had some problems with germination but they are finally growing...just not quite ready for the garden yet. If yours are mature are you happy with their production?

Julie

• Minderella
    12 years ago

Jenny

I live in Astatula. Where in Tavares do you live? That is cool someone from near me is on here.

Mindy K.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yesterday I was very busy at the organic/hydroponics store and bought the usual products for the garden, they gave me some huge products to try and give them some feedback about how they work. They are liquid, organic fertilizers.

And after that I went to the Vietnamese restaurant where I had with my food the best mint I ever had sort of red leaves with green, I got a piece of it and I hope it survives, when talking there he said that is used as a medicine and gave me the recipe to try, it is a combo of herbs steamed. Then we talk about gardening in Vietnam and in Florida, very interesting.

Jenny - I use the 5-1-1 mix for all the container veggies, and add very diluted liquid fertilizers as needed. I am also growing Marconi peppers they do well here.

Here is a mix of peppers, some are the marconi

{{gwi:57827}}

Tom - I will mail you the seeds, if you grow them in the container, they will do well for you, just remember they self seed and are about 4 feet tall, they don't need staking but if you worry about the wind you can probably put a tomato cage for support.

Julie - marconi peppers do well, if you put them in pots you can protect them when is cold.

Silvia

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Ca

Tom - I will mail you the seeds, if you grow them (callaloo) in the container, they will do well for you, just remember they self seed and are about 4 feet tall, they don't need staking but if you worry about the wind you can probably put a tomato cage for support.

Thanks Silvia, I can't wait to try them ;-)

If yours (Marconi peppers) are mature are you happy with their production?

Julie, The Giant Marconi Hybrid is the one that is most productive, but NOT this time of year yet, still too hot unless they are carry-overs from last year, and if so the peppers will be small unless they received supplemental nutrients. Start them now and carry them over to the spring, if not in an area where they get baked by the summer sun they will actually last through the summer such that you'll get TWO or THREE years out of them....

Tom

• sunnystate25
    12 years ago

I tried growing Black Krim tomatoes in the spring and they do set fruits in the heat! their taste is very simialar to Cherokee purple.

• zenny_jo
    12 years ago

My Marconi's are mature -- and yes, I'm very happy with their production. They've produced all summer. I have about 7 plants and we've have a pepper or two for our lunchtime salad pretty much every day all summer. I got the seeds from Southern Seed Exchange. I'd love to know where to get Giant Marconi Hybrid seeds (or do you think they're the same).

I also have some California bell peppers that carried over from last year. They weren't nearly as productive.

Mindy, I live near-ish Deer Island. I've driven through Astatula to the post office, it's a nice area.

• seedsnsprouts
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the info on the Marconi's. We've had decent luck with several variety of hot peppers but almost zero luck with any kind of traditional Bells so this fall I went with Marconi's as a test (Heirlooms from Baker Creek). We just set most of them in the garden over the last two weekends. We also have hoops over our beds and can cover with shade cloth or freeze fabric if the weather turns wicked like it did last December. We were just discussing the shade cloth the other day. It may be in order for the next few weeks until the sun turns off it's "Broil" setting. :)

Julie

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Tom

...the Solar Fire and White Currants have been duds here so far, lots of blooms but no fruit set...night temps here still above 82-83. Only the Sara's Galapagos have set fruit so it's probably a variant that the Everglades comes from.

Amber

That's disappointing about Solar Fire Tom. I thought the whole point of Solar Fire was it claimed heat tolerance?

Hi Amber, somehow I missed your post. I'm done trying these things that are supposed to set fruit on blooms here when the temps are above 73F at night, they just don't work. Today I pulled the all the Solar Fire, White Currant and left only one Sara's Galapagos...I'll put my broccoli starts in those container soils since broccoli doesn't seem to be affected by nightshade plant soils :-)

Tom

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear about your tomatoes Tom, more of mine are setting fruit so it must be getting cooler in my area.

Today it was a very busy day, had friends over at the house to celebrate the harvest from the garden.
    We had a great time and the menu was perfect.
    For appetizer we had brie in pastry with caramel and walnuts with sliced sand pears from the farm for dipping

Hickory smoked pork roast with spices and beer. Chimichurri sauce on the side.
    Corn is in season so I made 2 corn dishes one a salad and other with beans using different herbs from the garden.
    Sweet potato latkes with sour cream-lime dressing
    Eggplant with frozen tomatoes from the garden

We made 2 desserts one was a meyer lemon tart

And the other a strawberry pavlova with mint

After showing them the garden we had a big splash! at least I did not have to water,lol.
    Hope that you had a good and busy holiday too.

Silvia

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures and garden. You really have green thumbs.

I noticed you ladies chatting about Seminole pumpkin so I am writing with a question hoping that you may know the answer: I got some of the prized seeds and planted them at the beginning of last Summer. The plant exploded covering half of my yard gave lots of beautiful flowers and started on dozens on pumpkins. Every time those pumpkins were the size of an apricot/peach they would yellow and ultimately fall off. The plant itself looked very vigourous. I ended up working out of town for almost two month and when I came back, the vine was still going strong and found ONE pumpkin the size of an apricot:-)

Any ideas as to what may have been happening?

Can Seminole pumpkin be planted now or I have to wait again until Spring?

Thanks a million for any ideas.

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alexcortex

Thank you.

From what you said it looks that they were not getting pollinated, usually this happens at the beginning of the season and then they produce. Did you amend the soil, where did you get the seeds? if the vines were strong they probably had enough water.
    It is too late to plant for my zone but if you don't get any frost, you can probably plant them now, just remember they take 100 days to grow. When you plant them again use a lot of compost and some vegetable fertilizer, it is very easy to grow as long as you have the right seeds, sometimes even the seed companies make mistakes.

The vines also took over in my small garden

And here are some seminole pumpkins

{{gwi:133933}}

And today I am eating my first ripe tomatoes Golden Grape

Silvia

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Can the callaloo be eaten raw? Or only cooked? Does it taste like spinach still when raw?

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sun worshiper

I only had callaloo cooked, that is how is used on the Islands. In the recipes they always soak it in salted water before preparing. Since I don't know any one eating raw I have not tried the taste. When cooked it is milder and softer than spinach. Sometimes you can find callaloo in the West Caribbean market fresh or in a can. It is for sure the easiest thing to grow.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: callaloo

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Two green thumbs up Silvia, as usual your food pictures are to die for! I don't need to say anything about the garden; it always speaks for itself ;-)

Tom

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Angela, callaloo is edible leaf amaranth. There are many varieties of amaranth, and some are more suited to eating the greens.

Quote "The youngest leaves have a milder flavour and are good to use in salads, the mature leaves are better cooked like spinach. Anything you would use spinach for, just use amaranth leaves exactly the same way."

The best leaf amaranth I've found for salad thus far is the Tenderleaf from Evergreen.

~dianne

Here is a link that might be useful: Amaranth

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Tom, thank you. I made up the recipe for the pork and came out really good! I hope that I can re create it again,lol.

I am harvesting black jungle butterbeans this week

I like them because I can freeze what I don't eat

And I am getting winter squash

Sapodilla is getting ripe

Silvia

• fruitguy
    12 years ago

I recently purchased a plant labeled "Chinese Spinach" from ECHO. Does anyone know if this is Callaloo or another type of Amaranth? I emailed ECHO twice but didn't get a response.

• flmamabear
    12 years ago

Hi all;

I'm in Central Florida - has anyone noticed their seedlings outdoors getting scorched by the sun? I'm having a really bad time this year with that...

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fruitguy - Chinese spinach is considered an edible amaranth, I am including the link.

Flmamabear - Which type of seedlings are getting scorched? did you harden them off before putting them in full sun? if you give more info maybe we can help.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: chinese spinach

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

Sylvia: Thanks for the info on the Seminole and the beautiful pictures. I planted the three remaining seeds I have and one is a few inches long so hopefully it will survive. I will try feeding more often to see if it makes a difference. The pumpkins were actually forming then falling of so I did not have issue with flowering or pollination.. but the plants were possibly weak.

About callaloo/amaranth leaves: There are many varieties and I have eating raw the 4/5 that I planted. All nice in salad and the larger ones can be used as a wrap. I even got my mom to cook them as grape leaves rolls and they were delicious.

There are tons of recipes out there using amaranth leaves. One way to find them is to look up recipes using the Indian names. Apparently there are different names in different provinces: Thotakura is one that is used (Just search for Thotakura in google pictures and click on the picture that you like which will most of the time lead you to a recipe - Somehow the link will not work). Amaranth leaves is also very similar to a Middle Eastern green called Molokhiah aka Mulukhiyah aka... So any recipe for Molokhiah can be used with amaranth.

About amaranth seeds: I planted several varieties last year but the one that was most amazing came out of seeds I bought from the bulk bin at Who le Foods. I am pretty sure it was Golden Giant Amaranth and it was incredible. There were enough leaves to feed me, the neighbors, freeze, and an army of butterflies. At the end I was left with huge heads that must have each carried a pound or more of grains. Sadly they got hit by some fungus at the end of season and I was too exhausted with work and all to care so I left them die. And all I had was 6 stalks!

I heartily recommend planting callaloo to all. At least to feed the butterflies/ as a trap plant. If you plant it in a corner or a bed by itself most likely it will self seed endlessly. That is what my wild calallo does and I mostly use it for greens for my compost pile (decadent I know) and never have to feed it.

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

This is a recipe that fascinates me although I never used it:-)

The two main ingredients are callaloo, which obviously grows in abundance here, and pigeon pea flour, which makes a fantastic Summer crop (My 5 seeds grew with zero care and made about 1/2 pound of beans).

Here is a link that might be useful: Callaloo recipe

• whgille
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alexcortex

Thank you for sharing your experience with amaranth leaves and the recipes.
    That is funny because yesterday I went to the Indian spice store, the Indian restaurant that is in the same shopping center and finish the trip with Whole Foods.
    As I understand the many different plants are used for many purposes be eating the leaves or the grains.
    In a Tucson, Arizona store that sells Native crops I bought one time popped amaranth grains to be eaten as a snack.
    The kind of amaranth that I grew before the stalks are coarser than the leaves, and the leaves are even when small kind of limp, that is why I did not use it raw. Big difference with spinach here where the leaves can be used raw because they maintain their shape. I like to use all my senses when eating, it has to meet standards of looks, taste and of course nutrition.
    I always have a stock of a number grains, beans especially different lentils to be used in recipes. They are some of my favorite combinations for food, only need to add any fresh veggies from the garden.
    You should try the recipe that you posted, probably in the past I had something similar and it was good.

Silvia

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

I have some callaloo that Tom gave me. They are in a container in my pool enclosure and are starting to bloom. Will they self-pollinate, or should I put them outside where the pollinatiors can get to them? I want to save viable seed.

• whgille
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Shuffles - If you want them reseeding in the containers, just shake the blossoms and they will. If you want to save seed to be planted other time, just cut and save the dried blooms whole in a paper bag. When is time to plant them again, just shake the flowers...
    Make some pepperpot soup with the leaves, you can use meat, chicken, or just veggies.:)

Silvia

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia