Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet potato question

Posted by zackey GA 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 20:49

Last year I grew sweet potatoes from slips and they just grew in a clump. This year I grew them from slips and they are running all over the place. Will sweet potatoes grow where ever the vine goes or just in the center of the original plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet potato question

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 7:16

They can grow a potato from any place that puts down a root with enough time and nutrients. The problem is the amount of time and energy available .
Generally it is recommended to pull up runners to stop them from forming potatoes except at the center.
That way you concentrate the roots where the original plant is and get a potato big enough to be useful.. Otherwise you end up with a lot of small potatoes.

o

I got them in pretty late. I'll cut them back. Thanks!

o

Don't cut back, just don't let the vines root in. Usually on a hot sandy surface that isn't a problem, but check and see if the vines are shooting out rootlets and if so just detach the roots from the ground.

o

let em grow. Sweet potato greens are delicious. Just snip the leaves and either steam or boil them til tender. Plus ,the smaller potatoes are sweeter. Boil a pot full of them with skins on til fork tender, drain, pinch the skins off, add some butter and yummmm

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 13:48

There are short-vine sweets available, (dwarf)...the potatoes are normal-size....., they are better for a small yard...sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here