Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Peruvian Daffodil, Spider Lily, Hymenocallis festalis - Invasive?

A few years ago, a friend gave me a Peruvian Daffodil (Spider Lily or Hymenocallis festalis) bulb. I planted it in the yard. Well, I am finding them all over the place - several yards from the mother bulb. And deep!! About 6-8-10 inches or more! They are so tough to dig out. I had no idea that they spread like this. I cannot find any runners connecting them. They are not close enough to a mother bulb to be bulblets. So I can only conclude that they came from self-sown seed, but I am still absolutely amazed. I dug out 6-7 of them from around the roots of my Green Ash tree and my finger tips are soooo sore trying to get those suckers (bulbs) out from down in there. They were waaaaayyy down in-between those roots and it took a ton of work to get them out. Has anyone had a similar experience? Do they spread that easily by seed? Or is it by some underground runner that I missed? Before this, I would have never considered them an invasive, but now I am not sure where/if I want to replant these bulbs. They are in a pot for now.

Also, I am used to my many amaryllis bulbs sitting on the surface of the soil. Easy to dig up and move when I get the desire. I can't believe how deep these Peruvian Daffodils bulbs liked to be.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images of Peruvian Daffodil

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting