Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID, please

Posted by stewbrew 10b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 21:06

This is one tough plant that will not go away even cutting the parent off at ground level. Two or three new suckers spring up every year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID, please

I think it is a type of dracaena..

o

It looks like a Yucca Elephantipes. I bought one for just
$4.00 at my local walmart 7 years ago, put it into the
ground it has spread out to several branches. I left the
main one alone, and it's now about 15 feet tall. It also
once in awhile will get a cluster of white flowers on it. It's
a great plant, grows well and takes very little care except
taking off some dead lower leaves every once in awhile.

o

I think it's a Dracena. We called them Corn plants. If the leaves are sharp especially the tips, it is a Yucca.

o

Let me even this up: it is a yucca

I used to grow this one inside and it did well. I've also grown corn plants and dracena

Now my neighbors have it growing along the fence line and I have had to cut it off the roof of my shade house...lucky I didn't break my neck.

o

I agree that it's Yucca Elephantipes. They can get huge, I have two that have grown so big they have trunks like small trees. As said, great plants if you want low maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here