Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vines or other ideas?

Posted by tennansm Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 21:29

Hello,

I live in St. Pete and wanted to get some native vines to climb up a trellis I'm putting along the wall. I was hoping for something that will grow up 8-10 feet and be quite thick. I'm also looking for a plant that would deter people from walking along that side of my house.

Also, any suggestions my very sunny pool deck? I was hoping for Florida native plants and a native vine for another trellis I've put up. For this spot I need plants that are safe for dogs if you have any suggestions.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vines or other ideas?

What about smilax auriculata (common greenbrier) for deterence and vine? You could also use the saw greenbrier, I think the leaf is prettier, but that's up to you.
I have no suggestions for a sunny area, perhaps someone else has more experience in that dept. and will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some native Florida vines

This post was edited by MsMorningSong on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:32

o
RE: Vines or other ideas?

If you want to attract butterflies such as Zebra Longwings or Gulf Fritillaries you should plant some kind of passion vine. Those with blue or purple blooms seem to work best. If you want to attract hummingbirds I suggest the coral honeysuckle. It produces very pretty red blooms and also gets visits from some butterflies.

Passion vines tend to grow quickly and will get long and bushy in a hurry. The coral honeysuckle is very well behaved. It your zone they will be perennials.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora incarnata

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here