Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmm_3

Non-tropical pool plants

MMM_3
10 years ago

I'm in Central Florida, and looking for non-tropical style plants for a pool enclosure. I have spent hours looking here and on plant sites, but I'm so overwhelmed. Our home was sorely neglected when we bought it, meaning vacant for two years. We have the pool up and running, and have pulled out all the dead palms. The house has a cottage/Cape Cod feel, and I don't want to use the tropical plants (cannas, sea grape, hibiscus, crotons, etc.), that we had at our last house- just want something different.

I believe that it's NE facing, and gets a decent amount of shade. Our property is heavily wooded and has lots of pink azaleas and magenta crepe myrtles. I was thinking to compliment that color family. We have this long odd space against the house that gets rain runoff from the screen enclosure. I'm thinking a low ground cover here- any thoughts for that?

And around the pool? Should I dig all the dirt out, and start fresh? No telling what's living in there. It's full of all sorts of ferns and weeds that came back after the initial cleanup, and I'm afraid will pop back up, again. Low maintenance and minimal leaf drop are the husband's main concerns. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

That area that's very narrow and gets rain runoff... I would be more inclined to loosely set some pavers or stepping stones or something along those lines. Ground covers would require constantly being edged to keep them out of the already-narrow walkway.
    Plant suggestions that come to mind are Oyster Plant in the sunnier spots, Wandering Jew (varietated or Purple Queen) in all the smaller areas, Wire Vine either in pots or growing over rocks. I like the way purples look with pink and magenta.
    It's hard to tell from the photos you shared whether you have room for anything larger or taller?

• MMM_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions, shear_stupidity. DH said the same as you about that narrow bed, and for the same reasons. I was trying to ignore him, but you make it difficult. :-)

I like your purple suggestions, and I've had good luck with wandering jew, so that would be an easy addition. What are your thoughts on sea grasses? Are they messy? I would like some height, as it would hide the pipes and pool pump.

Here's another picture. I'm mortified by the state of our beds! Thanks for your help.

• thetradition
    10 years ago

African iris (Dietes iridioides) is well behaved, not messy and will hide those pipes. They'd eventually get too wide for that walkway, but might be a good companion for other taller plants near the pool. You might have to clip the football-shaped seed pods if you don't want volunteers, but otherwise, they're absolutely care-free. They do fine in sun or shade, wet or dry, hot or cold. Nothing seems to bother them. As a bonus, you can come dig as many as you want out of my yard for free. One clump can be divided into many plants, and I also have dozens (if not hundreds) of seedlings that can be transplanted. As an extra bonus, they're super easy to transplant.

There's a yellow species, too (Dietes bicolor), but that one is a real slow grower. It took two years for divided transplants to start blooming in my yard. Although they grow to about the same size, the bicolor seems more dainty than the iridioides.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

I agree with Tradition about African Irises for height. A lot of grasses are sparse and don't hide so much as they camouflage. (I have some from him and they really are great!)

And I can't believe I forgot to say Coleus!!!! All of them, from the giants to the trailing ones would work well and go well with your pool area... plus it's free color without the mess! (Just pinch off seed pods of they're dangling over the pool edge)

• MMM_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love those irises, Tradition, thanks! That's exactly what I needed to get me going. What else do you suggest with them? Would alyssum work in this area? I looked up companion plants, and found lavender, salvia, sedum and fountain grass. I've never been able to get lavender of any kind to grow, so I'll skip that.

Shear, we looked at pavers for that narrow walkway, today. DH thanks you!

• kayjones
    10 years ago

You know what I see going in that narrow space? I would put down several layers of weed barrier and cover with pea gravel. Then I would buy all sorts of little cement or heavy plastic figures - maybe a rabbit family, a turtle family, some toadstools/mushrooms, some birds - you can see what I'm talking about.

Here is a google.com search for 'landscaping with statues' - see if anything here interests you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping with statues and figurines

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

If that area is particularly shady, then Alyssum would be leggy and might not bloom well for you. Plus, it's not exactly a "clean" plant. It self-sows all over the place. But if you have a sunny spot, it could work.

Tell your DH he's quite welcome!

• katkin_gw
    10 years ago

Any plant that flowers will be dropping them in the pool, you'd be better off with colorful leaves on a plant.

• shear_stupidity
    10 years ago

That's why I was thinking Coleus... and Perilla Magilla, and Persian Shield...
    Hardly any flowers and easy to pinch off as they come.

• MMM_3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, thanks so much for the suggestions. I'm so drawn to flowers, but I'm admittedly not the one cleaning the pool filter. Kay, my kids would just love those little statues. :-) After spending the day digging that mess up, I'm looking forward to seeing what the nursery has. Such colorful plants, Shear. I love the shades of green and purple!