Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

How do you like your Leaf Mulcher/Shredder?

Does anyone have any experience with electric leaf mulchers/shredders? I have a ton of magnolia leaves year-round and they are difficult to use as mulch because they are big, they blow around, and they are slow to break down. They are easy enough to rake up, but I never know exactly where to go with them after I have them raked up. I want to start shredding them .

I tried putting the leaves in a large plastic trashcan and using my weed wacker (string trimmer) but it did not work well at all. It blows the leaves all over the place and is pretty inefficient. Half of the leaves never get shredded. I've also done the old trick of running the mulching lawn mower over a raked up pile. That makes another mess. I want a shredder.

I don't want to invest in a gas-powered chipper/mulcher/shredder. They cost more than I want to spend. I am only looking to shred the magnolia leaves - no wood, branches, sticks, twigs, etc., - so I'm hoping an electric one will serve the purpose. I have seen them made by Worx, Flowtron, Harbor Freight, etc.

Anyone have one? What brand? Why do you love it or hate it? I would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks so much,
Carol in Jacksonville

Comments (16)