Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunn Hemp

Posted by lilquats none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 22:15

Anyone have experience with sunn hemp? I've had it in the ground for about 30 days, halfway through my planned 60 day growing cycle, and it's only about a foot tall. I expected it to grow much faster, and I'm guessing maybe all of this rain has slowed it down. I'm considering planting another cover crop amongst the sunn hemp, possibly buckwheat because it'll be done in about 30 days and I can cut back the sunn hemp and buckwheat at the same time. Is it normal for sunn hemp to grow slowly for the first 30 days? Any additional fast cover crop ideas? I'd like a lot of added organic matter and nutrients before I plant out in late August. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunn Hemp

I have planted cow peas, black eye peas is the same. Grew them half way and turned it under. Recommended by U of F.

o
RE: Sunn Hemp

There are strawberry fields near me filled with Sunn Hemp. The mature plants, with blooms, are only about 36 inches high, so they don't get that big. I think the ones with blooms may be for seed harvest.

Another field has hemp only about 12-15 inches so maybe you are fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here