Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

croton leaves malformed

petrushka (7b)
9 years ago

fl is croton country. so i figured i can get a good answer here :).
i have my croton outdoors now (wintering inside since i am up north).
i had a greenhouse thrip infestation that spread when i bought a new plant. so i had to cut off all new growth on my crotons and used systemic too to prevent more damage. there are still some thrips around, though not much. i am also spraying with insecticide soap and also neem. and hoping to be free of them eventually.
i thought it was ok - the new growth started, but came out all twisted. i was monitoring, i did not see any mites. but i suspect that's what caused it.
i have started spraying neem/insecticidal soap into the growing tips. there are still new leaves forming. but it's too late for some.
i checked the undersides - i don't see mite damage and i see some thrips damage, but only on few leaves. most leaves undersides are clean.
i also have similar malformed twisted leaves on a citrus.
just today i was in HD and noticed a croton that had lots of twisted malformed leaves like that. and that's a new plant...
so my question is: is it definitely mites? obviously, it happens a lot, if even new greenhouse plants are like that.
i had my crotons for 4/3 years and it did not happen before. i did have mites in winter at times, but that did not affect the new leaves like that.
could it be something else?
and what to do to prevent it?
if you could see it on the 2nd pic there are a sort of lesions on the leaf : twisted raised areas.

Comments (8)