Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hole in Foxtail palm trunk

Posted by alby 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 22:23

One of my Foxtail palms has about a two inch hole in the trunk about a foot above the base. It's not just a depression, it's a hole. I don't know what caused it and am not sure how long it's been there. The palm is about 15 feet tall and appears to be healthy, otherwise.

Is there anything that can be used to fill the hole, silicone caulk maybe, to prevent disease from getting in there or is the tree's fate already sealed?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hole in Foxtail palm trunk

Do not use anything to fill it. Best thing to do is nothing. Just keep it open and airy, trim any other plants away from it. And make sure a sprinkler isn't hitting it in that spot. Also, no deep or excessive mulch around this palm.

Palms are not true trees so it will never heal that hole. The hole is an open passage for any potential pathogens. But I have seen palms with holes that have been alive for decades.

o
RE: Hole in Foxtail palm trunk

• Posted by alby 10b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 8:41

Thank you very much for that Eric. In fact, there is a sprinkler head just feet away from the site and there is a light layer of mulch inches away from the base.

I'll be changing the sprinkler head to reduce the impact of watering on that area.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here