Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gingers

Posted by jane__ny 9-10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 22:44

Its been raining every day. Thought I'd take a few pics before they rot away, lol!

photo 56A76093-AC68-434D-B8D1-FDDAD7D8C677.jpg

photo 755AFA7E-DA51-4AE9-BD22-737232FBA950.jpg

photo CFB64672-C1F6-4AAD-8BA2-81919278DAE0.jpg

photo 8782A562-0DB6-466D-BC99-13CB13E9331F.jpg

photo 4F24D069-EE9E-415A-8DEB-F118BF599D6E.jpg

Just threw this in for good measure!
 photo C56373C2-57F4-440B-B868-1093F850F886.jpg

Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gingers

<3 I used to have them all around my pond with no moisture problems. Hope they stay healthy for ya!

o

Beautiful curcumas! I have some as well. They like all the rain they can get and don't generally rot unless sitting completely in water for a long period of time. I have more trouble with things like armadillo digging them up and eating the roots lol. I got two new varieties of curcumas to try this year and also planted some curcuma longa (turmeric). Before, I only had a few that I bought at Lowes so wanted to add to the collection. Mine aren't blooming yet here but I am a bit north of you, I think (9a). I have globbas and hedychiums blooming now.
~SJN

o

hi
Notice you're growing them directly in the ground ?? Love the gingers but the dormant period is a pain lol
For the last several years have been growing them in pots moved to the side when dormant give them new soil and fert when growth starts. Move them out to the main area when flowering. I think they also benefit from being kept drier when dormant This also keeps me from accidently digging them uplol
Anybody know which families are evergreen.?? know alpinia is, they keep trying to eat the house lol
i have some spiral s that I'm hoping to replace with some showier maybe variagated??
Boggles the mind how many types there are!!! gary

o

photo IMG_1155_zpsc6fa3abd.jpg nice display of color!! this one has been in total shade and blooming for months. first time bloom. as usual, don"t know the name...:)

o

• Posted by lac1361 z9a Lake Charles, LA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 10:36

You are growing Costus Barbatus.

Steve

o

You are right Gary! I forgot about them. Planted them last year and forgot them and some other bulbs. I'm sure I dug up lots of things I planted. I'm bad about that sort of thing. Very short memory! lol

These have been flowering for a few months. I didn't know they liked moisture. I'm also bad about watering, but I do mulch with wood chips.

Anyway, they provide nice color in the garden.

Jane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here