Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eb3604

Gran-I-Grit in S. Palm Beach Co

eb3604
14 years ago

Just moved down to S. Florida. Have been searching for crushed granite for the gritty mix. I'm starting to get discouraged. The places I've called only have the crushed oyster shell, not granite. Anyone have a source? Thanks

Comments (25)

• stuartwanda
    14 years ago

I wonder if you call your local DOT or who ever does road work and ask them where you could get it? Just a thought.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    14 years ago

I've never seen crushed granite in South Florida. As an alternative, you can get Pea Gravel or just use builder's sand (from Home Depot or Lowes). You DON'T want crushed oyster shell or beach sand as both will increase the alkalinity of the soil.

• laura1
    14 years ago

I'm in Tampa and I've been on a simular search. I did find crushed granite at the feed store BUT it smaller that was suggested to me. See photo (I hope)
    a href="http://s78.photobucket.com/albums/j87/lydarose/?action=view¤t=IMG_0332.jpg"; target="_blank">{{gwi:584426}}

AND I see that photo bucket has gone all whacky on me. so please excuse the "mess" here. if someone knows what is going on please let me know.

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

Have you considered fine red lava rock (plants love this stuff) or pumice. Places that sell orchid supplies carry these. Try OFE Int in Miami.

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Laura is right; you'd need to get it from a feed store. Many feed stores usually only carry the Starter grit when they do carry the Gran-I-Grit line, and that's too small, you'll need the Turkey grit, which most of them will order though. Ricky's right too, alternatively and usually much cheaper, is #8 or #16 silica in the 100lb bag if you can find it. Perhaps this link might help you.

Tom

• tomncath
    14 years ago

you'll need the Turkey grit....

Correction, you'll need the Grower grit, you can use the Turkey grit also, but it's a little bigger, kinda like #8 vs. #16 silica....

Tom

• eb3604
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. I went to home depot this morning. They don't carry builders sand. I did find some pool filter sand, but the size was too small. Looked like beach sand. If only I could use some beach sand, I live 5 minutes away lol.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hi,

I get mine at a masonry supply warehouse...it is Silica
    Sand. I use either 6/14 or 6/20... Here's a photo of it. I got it from the company I posted below. There's a toll free # you can call to see if there is a location that sells it near you? Good Luck!

{{gwi:30705}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Standard Sand and Silica

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Hey N,

What size is that in your picture? And, what are you're specific mixes? Your Christmas Cactuses and Desert Roses always look amazing so whatever you're doing, I want to copy ;-)

Tom

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Hey Tom...Thanks!

That one in the picture is 6/14. I use Al's Gritty Mix 1-1-1
    Equal parts of Pine Bark Fines, Silica Sand and Turface or (Diatomaceous Earth) which I have found at Napa Auto parts store of all places...easier for me to find that turface in my area! I screen all of them except the sand(which is already screened for the most part). HTH

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Do you all find these type soils superior to regular ammended potting soils??. I was rather disappointed with the results after so much difficulty locating the materials. Had just as good results with regular potting soils. Of course I'm sure I didn't get the formulas correct lol.
    For example I thought diatomaceous earth was the skeletons of marine diatoms while turface was a high fired clay??. I bought a type called "Turface" from a golf course supply store that didn't even faintly resemble a product sold as "Diatomaceous earth" bought from a garden supply store lol Both listed uses as soil ammendments as well as absorbants.
    Anyway ,good luck with your search and hopefully better results. gary

• laura1
    14 years ago

Gary-It may depend on what you are growing. In the past I have always used my standard Fafard 3B. Most of my hoyas are ok with that but some have had root rot issues so I'm having to re-think my mix.
    But more importantly I'm getting into succulents and the Fafard is NO good. It just doesn't drain. I am still in the early (way early) stages of experimenting.
    So, really, what ever works for you. If it isn't broken don't fix it.

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi puglvr

I agree with Tom, I love your flowers and fruit trees too!
    I am going to try to copy your mix, I have few succulents growing now. They are the fruiting cactus yellow and red.

Silvia

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Silvia :o)

Here's a few pics of plants that I grow in the Gritty Mix. Personally I LOVE this mix. It might not be for everyone but it works very well for almost everything I grow in Containers. I just "tweek" it here and there depending on whether it likes it a little drier or moister depending on the type of plant I'm growing. Basically the more Turface you add the more moisture holding capacity it has...the more Silica/Grit you add the less water it will hold.

{{gwi:899979}}

{{gwi:692216}}

{{gwi:56863}}

{{gwi:692208}}

• whgille
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful pictures!

Thank you for posting them.

Silvia

• tomncath
    14 years ago

Hey N,

I'm actually thinking of taking the Turface out, being right here off the water with high humidity all the time I'm finding that the Turface is holding just too much moisture in the mix. Like you said, it's all trial and error....

Tom

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Thanks Silvia!

Tom, you are so right...whatever works for us is what we need to use. One of the great advantage of this mix, you can adjust according to what your growing and your area :o)

• abunari
    14 years ago

does anyone know of a good grit alternative in the oviedo area?. the builder sand looks great but im new to the area and am not sure of any masonary places. the local hd and lowes have gravel but it all looks 1/2 inch or bigger. I have been told to look at quickrete sand/topping mix at lowes but i thought this stuff was a premixed concrete mix to where you add water and it sets (that would not be a good scenerio!). Perhaps they are talking about sifting out the rocks but im not sure.

thank you

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    I have been using sand from Wally's called "play sand"
    while at HD this same type is called "builders sand" lol
    recently found a colored variety in bright purple or green lol. Was curious what the heck would be used to dye it?? can't imagine what could be used to be permanent??
    have also been using a type of crushed black lava rock .
    Differs from the "landscape" type being about 1/8 in diameter. There is also a red variety but is very difficult to find in small sizes.
    Another interesting one is called "flourite" supposedly this contains iron . manufactured for use in planted aquariums. It is very stable , and 2/4 MM in size but is expensive. I had it left over when converting a large aquarium to a terrarium. Have used it straight for som epi orchids as well as mixed with other materials for succulents. So far my reaction has been big deal lol. i'm glad I didn't spend money on it for that purpose lol.
    Oh well isn't experimenting the great part about growing plants?? gary

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Not familiar where Oviedo is? But maybe you can try calling the #800 number or emailing the company I posted several posts above. Hopefully there will be a dealer(masonry) supplier close to your area. The location I got mine from builds pool decks, patios, etc. You never know where a place might be selling Silica sand. Another place I've heard that sells it are some Pool Supply Co. Good luck!

Gary, you are so right! Experimenting is one of the fun things we do all the time with gardening...what works for one may not work for the other,lol...substitutions are sometimes necessary.

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

for puglvr1:

In your post sunday you included a pic of a mango growing in a pot with fruit. Which variety is that, and what size is the pot.

thanks john

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

John,

That potted Mango is a "Glenn" variety...and it is one of the best mango I've ever had...in my humble opinion! May not be the biggest in size but the taste more than makes up for it. Great flavor, sweet, small see and best of all NO fiber at all!

Here's pictures of a ripe one...

{{gwi:124632}}

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

John,

Oops forgot to tell you my pot size. It's in a 20" pot. I will probably have to move it to a 22" in year or two. HTH

• tcanora
    14 years ago

abunari, I am in Orlando and finally came across a nursery that has just about everything you could imagine. It's called Palmer's Nursery. It's right near Leu Gardens. They sell pea gravel which I think you can use instead of grit. I found a 50 lb bag of grit at a feed store nearby but had to pay $26. I just about fell over when I heard the price but I had two citrus trees that needed to get into a pot quickly. HTH

Tammy

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    13 years ago

No luck finding Gran-I-Grit in SW florida. All they sell is oyster shell. If anyone down here found a supplier I may have overlooked, please post here.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz