Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

white elephant

garyfla_gw
10 years ago

Hi
hare is the kerridoxa elegans I got for 40 bucks. had to remove 3 fronds due to damage and had to repot. It did have an excellant root system and is responding better than I expected ,paerticularly for an understory palm
almost sent it back but too late now lol gary

Comments (12)

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

I hate to bear bad news but that sure looks like a Pritchardia, not a Kerriodoxa.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    what would you base that upon?? Have never seen either type this young. Does have the very velvety white backing to fronds even those that were lost
    Due to the division of the leading frond?? The two longest are tears . Thanks gary

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

I looked again real close and I think it is a Kerriodoxa. The shine from the light made it look very bright green at first glance.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    It was raining when the pic was taken the selaginella at the left normally appears bright blue
    Was rather disappointed with the plant due to the damage but also wrong species . it would go back loll
    If you look closely at the upper edge you can see a bit of the back which is very velvety white . All the fronds were that way. Actually much whiter than my silver Joey .J. magnifica. know of no pritchardia with that characteristic ??
    Like I've actually seen all 30/40 species in every stage of growth lol
    I'm still a bit suspicious as it has grown another frond which is starting open already lol Very weird "slow growing understory palm " The magnifica produces less than 2 fronds per year !! Also ,obviosly grown from seed and I was unable to locate a source
    Besides we all know that nurseries NEVER have plants with wrong ID'S lol Time will tell I guess Thanks gary

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    10 years ago

I'm glad it is recovering well for you. Sometimes the little plants bounce better from shipping than the larger ones.
    Maybe if you post the pic on the palm forum an expert may be able to tell you? Whatever it is, it looks happy.

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Tried both palm and name that plant forums . Got prichardia livistona, roystonea lol my own thoughts when first seeing it were pritchardia until I noticed the divisions are tears and the white backing.
    Actually it's pretty sad looking since every frond is damaged and the package it came in was not damaged so it must have been sent that way Wrong specie would be the icing on the cake .?? Had I wanted pritchardia could have started from seed for under a buck lol
    I have faith though !! i don't think it is a pritchardia !!
    I won't be doing any shopping at that nursery again lol
    It has developed a new frond already which is VERY suspicious lol. can't wait to see my new pritchardia frond lol
    Thanks gary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Gary, please give us an update when the new frond is fully unveiled. The story is getting very interesting... I want to read the next chapter... :)

Carol

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Just got another plant (mailorder0 from another nursery.
    Supposedly Cochliostema jacobiana , suspect it is actually C odoratissima lol since I've only seen one plant in my life won't make a judgement just yet
    Was over 4 feet tall and 3 wide!! Very impressed no matter what it is lol gary

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    This palm has prrogressed way beyond expectations . Latest frond is wider than long but still highly indented
    Has produced 6 fronds since this post but still in juvenile stage Seems pretty fast for "slow growing but is looking more and more like the ID. It is developing stilt roots and see no mention of this in the lit .White on undersides is becoming brighter on each new frond and is tomentose .
    Still in the 5 inch pot but shows no sign of protruding roots . Going to repot when present frond is complete
    I suspect my mix is holding too much moisture which would explain the stilts though everything I've read says it needs it . Will try to post a pic. as soon as I get a camera lol gary

9 years ago

I'm glad that it is turning out to be what you wanted. I am thinking of ordering a few plants from that nursery. They do seem to have some more unusual things.

Looking forward to your pic later. It seems like some plants just want to kinda sit there the first year before they get going lol. I have several that I bought last summer that are just now taking off.
    ~SJN

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    Palms sort of follow their own rules lol Easy to see why they are so expensive when they get any size.
    Was just looking through their catalog and they were out of almost eveything lol
    Found a nursery in W. Palm that had all 3 gallon at 5 bucks !! My kind of place. I bought a Clerodendron ugandense that is over 3 feet . I'm in the market for some tree ferns and odd aroids so will check them out.
    I really hate buying mail order though I've generally got what I paid for ,I like seeing what I;m buying
    What kind were you looking for from Eldons?? gary

9 years ago

I wish we had good tropical nurseries here but they are mostly stocked with natives and zone 9a or below hardy stuff. One nursery, not too far, just started carrying more tropical fruit trees than I've seen at Lowes etc. They also have a great citrus selection. Other than that ...blah
    In general, mail order is how I get most of my stuff or through trades unless I get lucky :)

I am thinking that I might have to replace a few of my alocasias that Eldon has. They went dormant and have not come back up yet. I will wait a bit longer and see first before I place an order. One I dug up was just gone so either something ate it or it rotted probably due to so much rain this spring. Half our yard was a swamp for a while there.
    I also like some of their other stuff but looks like there is an 'out of stock' on them right now.
    ~SJN

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars271 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz